Your Own Favourite Car Photos.

Transam

In the 1980s my friend and I drove one of these from Edmonton Alberta to California. Same colour not the same car.

1967-Pontiac-Firebird-Convertible.jpg

• Like 3

On 10/18/2021 at 2:57 AM, Transam said:

383ci big block Chrysler (Mopar)...

It was modified by Jensen for the British market and couldn't pass USA emission standards which is why they changed later to the 7 litre truck engine. Virtually every Interceptor was different - the engine fitted in mine was modified only outward sign being the alloy rocker boxes - the original engine ended up in a dragster. 2 neighbours had Jensens too - a 541 and a CV8.

Edited by Khunwilko

13 hours ago, Khunwilko said:

It was modified by Jensen for the British market and couldn't pass USA emission standards which is why they changed later to the 7 litre truck engine. Virtually every Interceptor was different - the engine fitted in mine was modified only outward sign being the alloy rocker boxes - the original engine ended up in a dragster. 2 neighbours had Jensens too - a 541 and a CV8.

The Jenson 7.2 ltr (440ci) was fitted in many Mopar performance rides, as well as their 7 ltr (426ci Hemi), which was never fitted in a Jenson.

4 hours ago, Transam said:

The Jenson 7.2 ltr (440ci) was fitted in many Mopar performance rides, as well as their 7 ltr (426ci Hemi), which was never fitted in a Jenson.

So? there were plans to fit the semi but Jensen didn't have the funds to redesign and fit.

Jensen couldn't even afford to crash test for the USA market.

• Haha 1

I didn't want a Jensen, I wanted a Bristol, but after an extensive correspondence with Mr Crook, I could find one cheap enough. Family connections with Jensen proved more fruitful - both in finding the vehicle and subsequent restoration.

The beauty of Jensons is that they were very "lo-tech" and much easier to work on than Astons or even Jags- they were practically nailed together.

You can't get much more basic than an old US V8

1 hour ago, Khunwilko said:

So? there were plans to fit the semi but Jensen didn't have the funds to redesign and fit.

Jensen couldn't even afford to crash test for the USA market.

Doubt it, the 426ci Hemi (7ltr) would not fit in a Jenson engine bay, it is affectionately called Elephant for obvious reasons.

The 383ci and 440ci are both smaller than the Hemi, but are the same size, the 360ci is referred to as a small block.

1 hour ago, Khunwilko said:

I didn't want a Jensen, I wanted a Bristol, but after an extensive correspondence with Mr Crook, I could find one cheap enough. Family connections with Jensen proved more fruitful - both in finding the vehicle and subsequent restoration.

The beauty of Jensons is that they were very "lo-tech" and much easier to work on than Astons or even Jags- they were practically nailed together.

You can't get much more basic than an old US V8

The UK never made a decent V8 for the masses, only high-end cars like Aston, Rolls and Daimler provided.

Daimler provided a 2.5 and 4.5 V8, 2.5 for the Daimler Jag, 4.5 for its limo. Triumph tried and failed miserably, in the end British Leyland bought the rights for the defunked Buick alloy V8 but reduced its capacity to 3.5.

the Ford Pilot made '47 to '51 was fitted with a V8 .. 

Riley , Flying Standard and Autovia also made V8's during the 1930's .. 

IMG_20211020_105709.jpg

IMG_20211020_105726.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

IMG_20211020_105709.jpg

IMG_20211020_105726.jpg

Yes, the Pilot had the American Ford flat head V8..

Riley, blimey, that was from the era of multi cylinder rides, but didn't last long for Riley..

1 hour ago, Transam said:

Doubt it, the 426ci Hemi (7ltr) would not fit in a Jenson engine bay, it is affectionately called Elephant for obvious reasons.

The 383ci and 440ci are both smaller than the Hemi, but are the same size, the 360ci is referred to as a small block.

I can assure you there were. 

"One experimental Ferguson FF was built in 1968 with a 7-litre (426 cubic inch) Hemi engine imported from Chrysler in the U.S. Further Hemi engine equipped models were not built, due to the limits of the suspension at extremely high speeds, and the cost of importing the Hemi engine into Britain, which was deemed too great." - wiki.

Edited by Khunwilko
  • Thanks 1

The UK never made a decent V8 for the masses, only high-end cars like Aston, Rolls and Daimler provided.

Daimler provided a 2.5 and 4.5 V8, 2.5 for the Daimler Jag, 4.5 for its limo. Triumph tried and failed miserably, in the end British Leyland bought the rights for the defunked Buick alloy V8 but reduced its capacity to 3.5.

Whilst it's true that the UK didn't build many V8s up til recently they were not actually that bad.

The Rover Buick built under licence was so redesigned as to be unrecognisable - it started in early 1960s and appeared in all sort s of vehicles from Rovers, to Morgans Range Rovers military vehicles - as an alloy engine it was lighter than the 4 pots it often placed.

Triumph engine was great - it has a couple of valve and cooling problems that were sorted AFTER B/L had dropped it. This was a decision made by incompetent and financially strapped B/L management. They lost out big time on that one.

Daimler V8 was dropped by Jag once they were engulfed by B/L

Jag still make V8s.

Many UK manufacturers used Chrysler and Ford V8s at times - my favourite being the Sunbeam Tiger.

there were various obstacles for V8s in ordinary cars in UK.

Post war petrol rationing

the Suez crisis

The TAX system that favoured long stroke narrow bore engines

and by the 1970s the petrol crisis just about finished off any prospective new vehicles.

In the mid sixties GM (Vauxhall) were defintely considering a V8 model - probably with a GM engine similar to the one used in Australia.

Leyland (P76) produced a 4.4 V8 version the Rover V8 in Oz.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ford weren't considering one swell....however the fuel crisis put an end to that.

Edited by Khunwilko
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don't see what you are answering here. I made no reference to "the masses" - I'm referring to the restive simplicity of V8s in a Jensen compared to either Aatons or Jaguar engines.

Edited by Khunwilko
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dedinbed said:

IMG_20211020_105709.jpg

IMG_20211020_105726.jpg

Wow I think that a V8 60. I had a 37 coup and snapped the motorcoach a V8 85 from a 48 Ford. I went full race with a polished and relieved block and enlarged to what we called 3/8 x 3/8. Actually the strokes was increased but 3/8 inch and the bore increased to 3 3/8. It had a dual coal ignition, 3 stromburg 97 carbs an full race cam. We did everything. 

My best friend's dad had a research engineering company and helped me, as I was about 17 at the time. He was an old racer and loved helping. He'd order part via his company because he got better rates. He also had a lot to contacts in the aftermarket market and we were in LA which was the hub of hot rodding. 

The engine ran great but required a lot of car. Transmissions were another issue because if I made an aggressive start, I'd clean the gears. So I had to learn to start conservatively. It would go heads up with Corvettes of the day and was always ahead the first 1/8 mile. 

I sold it when I went off to the University, but aways loved the car

About 15 years ago I bought a Volvo 240 turbo. Volvo had competed this model in Group A racing and won the world championship in 83,84,85 and all the documentation on how they did it was available. I started with bringing up the suspension to race specs, the went ofter the motor and drive train. Went I upped the power the transmission became the issue. Volvo had used a getrag transmission in their race cars so I did the same. Also did a rebuild with a 740 block. Volvo had really overbought early turbo engines with forged  cranks, rods and pistons. They also used special exhaust values. 

After balancing and a good port and polish. It was ready to go but I used a larger turbo, metal intercooler, larger exhaust etc. I  also used a race clutch and lighten flywheel. 

I did numerous other things but to make it competitive on the SC a circuit. My main completion were BMW M3 because they had bigger tire and therefore better traction.  If I had kept the car I would have modified the suspension to fit wider tires. 

Additionally, I entered the car in a couple of shows and won 1st place in modified class.

Although the car was registered and street legal, I rarely drove it because it was too fun and I knew, I'd probably get in trouble with the law.

I've had many cars in between but these two were my favorites.  

I gave my son a Volvo c70 when we moved Thailand.  It's very civilized and has the HP engine and governed at 148mph. He's single and mostly leaves the car in the garage, for dates.

Now I  need to be satisfied with our Fortuner. 

3 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Wow I think that a V8 60. I had a 37 coup and snapped the motorcoach a V8 85 from a 48 Ford. I went full race with a polished and relieved block and enlarged to what we called 3/8 x 3/8. Actually the strokes was increased but 3/8 inch and the bore increased to 3 3/8. It had a dual coal ignition, 3 stromburg 97 carbs an full race cam. We did everything. 

My best friend's dad had a research engineering company and helped me, as I was about 17 at the time. He was an old racer and loved helping. He'd order part via his company because he got better rates. He also had a lot to contacts in the aftermarket market and we were in LA which was the hub of hot rodding. 

The engine ran great but required a lot of car. Transmissions were another issue because if I made an aggressive start, I'd clean the gears. So I had to learn to start conservatively. It would go heads up with Corvettes of the day and was always ahead the first 1/8 mile. 

I sold it when I went off to the University, but aways loved the car

About 15 years ago I bought a Volvo 240 turbo. Volvo had competed this model in Group A racing and won the world championship in 83,84,85 and all the documentation on how they did it was available. I started with bringing up the suspension to race specs, the went ofter the motor and drive train. Went I upped the power the transmission became the issue. Volvo had used a getrag transmission in their race cars so I did the same. Also did a rebuild with a 740 block. Volvo had really overbought early turbo engines with forged  cranks, rods and pistons. They also used special exhaust values. 

After balancing and a good port and polish. It was ready to go but I used a larger turbo, metal intercooler, larger exhaust etc. I  also used a race clutch and lighten flywheel. 

I did numerous other things but to make it competitive on the SC a circuit. My main completion were BMW M3 because they had bigger tire and therefore better traction.  If I had kept the car I would have modified the suspension to fit wider tires. 

Additionally, I entered the car in a couple of shows and won 1st place in modified class.

Although the car was registered and street legal, I rarely drove it because it was too fun and I knew, I'd probably get in trouble with the law.

I've had many cars in between but these two were my favorites.  

I gave my son a Volvo c70 when we moved Thailand.  It's very civilized and has the HP engine and governed at 148mph. He's single and mostly leaves the car in the garage, for dates.

Now I  need to be satisfied with our Fortuner. 

Cool .. I like the cut of your gib on the V8 60 .. 

Personally if your gonna go Vee engines go the whole hog with a V12 ..  Jaguar's seminal 5.3 unit being the most affordable and accessible .. not too difficult or expensive to get up near 350 hp without major modding and open piped they sound like a low flying Spitfire .. seriously modded turbo'd ones as used in power boat racing raise twice that amount of power and sound more like Armageddon ..  

IMG_20211020_161340.jpg

Edited by Dedinbed
Sp

I like car threads so I’ll break my Thaiger Talk duck with this currently sitting in the UK covered in a dust sheet 

C66A09F9-5799-4548-9E56-FCE49D269173.jpeg

• Cool 1

8 hours ago, Dedinbed said:

Personally if your gonna go Vee engines go the whole hog with a V12 ..  Jaguar's seminal 5.3 unit being the most affordable and accessible .. not too difficult or expensive to get up near 350 hp without major modding and open piped they sound like a low flying Spitfire .. seriously modded turbo'd ones as used in power boat racing raise twice that amount of power and sound more like Armageddon ..  

IMG_20211020_161340.jpg

IMG_20211020_161340.jpg

Great looking engine, but Jags were not easy to maintain. My flathead project was in the 1970s so modern engines were not as popular. My project came about because my friend's father was helpful and was a great mechanical engineer. His research firm built research firm built prototype rocket parts and had every kind of metal working equipment. He grew up in the SoCal world of hot rods and knew the ropes. BTW he had a supernice Jag 3.8 sedan (not sure if it was 3.4 or 3.8) along with a MarkII Lincoln. 

My friend wasn't into mechanical things at all, so his dad sort of adapted me.

BTW full race flatheads had a sound that would turn heads. 

The problem with highly modified motors is that when you take things to the limit things can break. With my Volvo race car, I used to count on somethings needing repairs after every race. They weren't designed for extreme use. Since most mechanics don't want to work on cars modified by others, but I had one that would do specific tasks or even loan me the correct tools to do the job myself. He was keen on seeing what I had done and even going for a test drive. 

15 hours ago, Khunwilko said:

Whilst it's true that the UK didn't build many V8s up til recently they were not actually that bad.

The Rover Buick built under licence was so redesigned as to be unrecognisable - it started in early 1960s and appeared in all sort s of vehicles from Rovers, to Morgans Range Rovers military vehicles - as an alloy engine it was lighter than the 4 pots it often placed.

Triumph engine was great - it has a couple of valve and cooling problems that were sorted AFTER B/L had dropped it. This was a decision made by incompetent and financially strapped B/L management. They lost out big time on that one.

Daimler V8 was dropped by Jag once they were engulfed by B/L

Jag still make V8s.

Many UK manufacturers used Chrysler and Ford V8s at times - my favourite being the Sunbeam Tiger.

there were various obstacles for V8s in ordinary cars in UK.

Post war petrol rationing

the Suez crisis

The TAX system that favoured long stroke narrow bore engines

and by the 1970s the petrol crisis just about finished off any prospective new vehicles.

In the mid sixties GM (Vauxhall) were defintely considering a V8 model - probably with a GM engine similar to the one used in Australia.

Leyland (P76) produced a 4.4 V8 version the Rover V8 in Oz.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ford weren't considering one swell....however the fuel crisis put an end to that.

The Triumph engine was not great, it was a lemon, read the history on it, the thought was to siamese the good 4 pot into a V8, it was a failure, an amazing failure, when they had the Buick in the BL arsenal. I suspect a few heads rolled over it....🤭

15 hours ago, Khunwilko said:

Don't see what you are answering here. I made no reference to "the masses" - I'm referring to the restive simplicity of V8s in a Jensen compared to either Aatons or Jaguar engines.

I made reference to the masses for an affordable V8 engine to stick in the masses cars.

Non complicated builds, like Ford and Chevy small blocks. BL bought the rights to the Buick by accident, an engine that I believe was shelved by Buick, probably because it was too expensive to produce and problematic to fix stuff easily...

The Triumph engine was not great, it was a lemon, read the history on it, the thought was to siamese the good 4 pot into a V8, it was a failure, an amazing failure, when they had the Buick in the BL arsenal. I suspect a few heads rolled over it....🤭

"siamese the good 4 pot into a V8:" - nothing wrong with that.....the engine was actually conceived before the slant 4 the 2 were developed in parallel as part of the same engine ..

Just like the Jag V12 it was 2 blocks joined together. I think you are the one who needs to read on it.

Edited by Khunwilko

6 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Great looking engine, but Jags were not easy to maintain. My flathead project was in the 1970s so modern engines were not as popular. My project came about because my friend's father was helpful and was a great mechanical engineer. His research firm built research firm built prototype rocket parts and had every kind of metal working equipment. He grew up in the SoCal world of hot rods and knew the ropes. BTW he had a supernice Jag 3.8 sedan (not sure if it was 3.4 or 3.8) along with a MarkII Lincoln. 

My friend wasn't into mechanical things at all, so his dad sort of adapted me.

BTW full race flatheads had a sound that would turn heads. 

The problem with highly modified motors is that when you take things to the limit things can break. With my Volvo race car, I used to count on somethings needing repairs after every race. They weren't designed for extreme use. Since most mechanics don't want to work on cars modified by others, but I had one that would do specific tasks or even loan me the correct tools to do the job myself. He was keen on seeing what I had done and even going for a test drive. 

I just reread and my  flathead was actually in the 1950s. By 1970 everything was ohv or once engines with much stronger bottom ends.

On 9/16/2021 at 9:47 AM, Transam said:

Sadly, I haven't got many car photos

I wonder if Joe Ferrari is in the same boat as you? 

I made reference to the masses for an affordable V8 engine to stick in the masses cars.

Non complicated builds, like Ford and Chevy small blocks. BL bought the rights to the Buick by accident, an engine that I believe was shelved by Buick, probably because it was too expensive to produce and problematic to fix stuff easily...

The Buick small V8 was cast aluminum and suffered from being too small for the US  market, plus being sand cast would clog up water passages. Maybe this was solved by the time it was bought by the British. The turbocharged Oldsmobile Spitfire was a pretty hot car in it's day. My friend's dad had on, but the suspension was too soft for anything but luxury cruising. 

I think it was 215 cu in, whereas competition started at 350 up cu in displacement. Those were the days when there bigger was always better. 

My latter Volvo turbo put down 300 rwh on 2.3 lts. 

15 minutes ago, Khunwilko said:

"siamese the good 4 pot into a V8:" - nothing wrong with that.....the engine was actually conceived before the slant 4 the 2 were developed in parallel as part of the same engine ..

Just like the Jag V12 it was 2 blocks joined together. I think you are the one who needs to read on it.

Hey, the Triumph V8 was a failure, why bring Jaguar into it,  you really need to look up on stuff. Watch my video on the Triumph V8 for starters, if you want more I can provide.

You thought the Triumph V8 was a great engine, motoring history shows it was a LEMON.....😂

15 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

I wonder if Joe Ferrari is in the same boat as you? 

Not sure what you mean...🤔