Your Own Favourite Car Photos.

Transam

Some of you may have some interesting photos of cars you have owned, doesn't matter what car it is, just show us and perhaps tell us a little about it. 😊

Sadly, I haven't got many car photos, but I will start with my first attempt at fooling around with 4 wheels.This was my second car, a 1959 Austin Mini, I lowered the roof 4", why, I saw a picture of one in a magazine, think it was a Broadspeed mini project. I dumped the 850cc engine, bought a 1100cc out of a crashed Austin 1100, took out the 4.11 final drive, installed the 3.75 final drive from the mini, Weber carb, Cooper cam, ended up with a cheap Mini Cooper S clone. The first Cooper S was 1071cc, soon to be replaced with the 970cc and the 1275cc, reasons were they could enter 2 race brackets. Here it is, 1967/8 I think, a skinny me...

Unfortunately, the car had a short life, a lamp post jumped out in front of me whilst having a dual...🥴

Me888.jpg.8b60ef66ad3d80d0594d9596e5328f19.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

My 1st series of fun cars was the Mini in progressively bigger engine size, later ones I rebuilt and added bigger carby and all the go-fast gear such as racing stripes.  Can't remember how many I went thru, never had any posts or trees jump out in front, well not quite.

One fast drive between Auckland and Hamilton I'd overtaken 12 slower vehicles on a long sweeping bend at close to 120kmph when a load bang sounded and steering was all over the place.  Pulled over to find a rear re-treaded tyre's new tread had separated away from the casing.  Continued on slowly after that.

Quite a few years later my very last Mini was abandoned at LHR upon leaving for a homeward flight.  It owed me nothing was full off rust and had a FRP front on it.  It was cheaper to abandon at LHR  than taking a taxi.  Hate to think what the parking/towing/impounding fees amounted to 😀

• Like 1

In '73 I had a restaurant and bought a Mach1 Mustang which we showed off around town and also took to the Drags, loads of fun was had with it after an engine rebuild, straight thru exhaust etc.

AM-JKLW4299rQgzWNdLcJfrybTwZiBFc-oc2FjLu2WcKbiDzgI-U3DWDx55g8gNS5--1grxvfpcSZwvDmjcnJTJH8QIJ1vEeVMTiJDKWiAqlIAxSnq6dWYiwR6zh_9WwiGLiC8ZSowUgEJMzREyU5IYjKsowGw=w1392-h1009-no?authuser=0

• Like 3

Leaned to drive in this. 1965. Bench seat in the front and column shift, so rumpy pumpy was easy.Wyvern.jpg.c7c161ba26e13115e1c76fed46e75c0e.jpg

Edited by WilliamG
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Transam said:

dumped the 850cc engine, bought a 1100cc

There is no replacement for displacement aye.

My grandmother's car was more powerful. 

My GT...

Wyvern.jpg

I had one too, bench seats great for horizontal activities although I had to support the front backrest with a big leather belt from pillar to pillar after the internals collapsed.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

Wyvern.jpg

I had one too, bench seats great for horizontal activities although I had to support the front backrest with a big leather belt from pillar to pillar after the internals collapsed.

This was my Dad's Wyvern, 2.2 litres. Replaced by a Velox with 3.2 litre 6 cylinder jobbie. Boy, it could go.

3 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

This was my Dad's Wyvern, 2.2 litres. Replaced by a Velox with 3.2 litre 6 cylinder jobbie. Boy, it could go.

Looks like the one in a Harry Potter movie that flew.

3 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

In '73 I had a restaurant and bought a Mach1 Mustang which we showed off around town and also took to the Drags, loads of fun was had with it after an engine rebuild, straight thru exhaust etc.

AM-JKLW4299rQgzWNdLcJfrybTwZiBFc-oc2FjLu2WcKbiDzgI-U3DWDx55g8gNS5--1grxvfpcSZwvDmjcnJTJH8QIJ1vEeVMTiJDKWiAqlIAxSnq6dWYiwR6zh_9WwiGLiC8ZSowUgEJMzREyU5IYjKsowGw=w1392-h1009-no?authuser=0

Now that is a ride! 351 with 4 speed manual?

1 minute ago, HolyCowCm said:

Now that is a ride! 351 with 4 speed manual?

Yes 351 Windsor :( and automatic.  Was maroon colour (yuk) when I bought her so a full respray was done before I ever drove home.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Yes 351 Windsor :( and automatic.  Was maroon colour (yuk) when I bought her so a full respray was done before I ever drove home.

Even though automatic it still must have been tons of fun. I used to have a little comet with a 302.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Even though automatic it still must have been tons of fun. I used to have a little comet with a 302.

You can upgrade an auto to be quicker than a manual, with a dialled in converter, plus can handle more power...😊

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Transam said:

You can upgrade an auto to be quicker than a manual, with a dialled in converter, plus can handle more power...😊

Yeah but the manuals were always more fun. For here we have an automatic RS car and the truck is a 6 speed. Best of both worlds.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HolyCowCm said:

Yeah but the manuals were always more fun. For here we have an automatic RS car and the truck is a 6 speed. Best of both worlds.

My Pontiac was manual from factory, after a bit of engine tuning and fitting a dual plate clutch, I left most of the gearbox on the black top, next move was a manual shift auto route.....😋

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Looks like the one in a Harry Potter movie that flew.

From Wikipedia

• The car seen in the Dursley family's driveway in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone is a 2000 Vauxhall Vectra estate (as was every car on the street).[4] This is inconsistent with the canonical timeline, as the novel is set in 1991 and 1992. A previous generation of the Vectra, then known as the Vauxhall Cavalier, was available in 1991; however, the on-screen car can't be considered a stand in as the model was not offered in the Estate body style.
  • During the film's cold opening (when baby Harry is first brought to Privet Drive), the cars on the street all appear to be Vauxhall Cavalier MkIIIs, which would be consistent with the 1991 setting, but was inconsistent with that scene, set in 1981.
  • The Dursley's car in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 is a 2008 Vauxhall Vectra Saloon, which is also inconsistent with the canonical timeline, as that scene would take place in 1997.
  • These details imply that the film timeline takes place approximately 10 years after the novel's, roughly contemporaneously with the films' release dates.

Edited by WilliamG
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Transam said:

My Pontiac was manual from factory, after a bit of engine tuning and fitting a dual plate clutch, I left most of the gearbox on the black top, next move was a manual shift auto route.....😋

I remember seeing a picture of your Pontiac, that is if I am not mistaken was the car. Had a big hood dam on it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

From Wikipedia

• The car seen in the Dursley family's driveway in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone is a 2000 Vauxhall Vectra estate (as was every car on the street).[4] This is inconsistent with the canonical timeline, as the novel is set in 1991 and 1992. A previous generation of the Vectra, then known as the Vauxhall Cavalier, was available in 1991; however, the on-screen car can't be considered a stand in as the model was not offered in the Estate body style.
  • During the film's cold opening (when baby Harry is first brought to Privet Drive), the cars on the street all appear to be Vauxhall Cavalier MkIIIs, which would be consistent with the 1991 setting, but was inconsistent with that scene, set in 1981.
  • The Dursley's car in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 is a 2008 Vauxhall Vectra Saloon, which is also inconsistent with the canonical timeline, as that scene would take place in 1997.
  • These details imply that the film timeline takes place approximately 10 years after the novel's, roughly contemporaneously with the films' release dates.

Ok. I guess it wasn't. But could have been a great stand in.

The Flying Ford Anglia was a light blue Ford Anglia 105E Deluxe that was  modified by Arthur Weasley to be … | Harry potter car, Ford anglia, Harry  potter flying car

• Like 1

I married a 1966 Tempest LaMans with a 4 speed Hearst Shifter...Think it was a 256hp v8. Loved the way the front end would torque even with the heavy duty shocks. I got to drive it occasionally.  Replaced the starter a couple of times...I would be surprised it there was a one mm clearance to get it lined up...I used my entire vocabulary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

I remember seeing a picture of your Pontiac, that is if I am not mistaken was the car. Had a big hood dam on it.

Yeh, will get onto that at a later date....

TA.thumb.jpg.8d841c8078d1ceaf02784b5b58b47bbc.jpg

36 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

That's a Ford Anglia.

I recall seeing an Anglia in Pattaya with a taxi light on top. I think it might have been someone's idea of a novelty car. It would never have been used as a cab in the UK because it only had two doors. However, I recall a time when the 2-door VW Beetle was in popular use as cab in Mexico.

And speaking of novelty cars, I recall the Russian Lada which was based on a 1950's Fiat. To call it "basic" would be to over-emphasise it's qualities. When the boss of Lada paid a visit to the UK to check on it's distribution network, someone had the bizarre idea of converting one of these to a stretch limo, and even managed to source the personalised number plate "KGB1". This was used to chauffeur the boss to his various appointments in the UK.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.shutterstock.com%2Feditorial%2Fsearch%2Fkgb1&psig=AOvVaw0AwkrMuIiG3dyWAFS4A6_Y&ust=1631870008260000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAsQjRxqFwoTCLCjuNOTg_MCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

1 hour ago, Transam said:

Ford Anglia 105E, I passed my test in mum's one....😊

Old mate in NZ had an Anglia and used it to carry trestles & planks for his painting contracting job.  Everything tied down fore and aft to bumpers, side to side thru open windows.  Went around a sharp bend one day, car turned 90 degrees and trestles rotated straight ahead.  Funny as. 

Steering spline was buggered and he steered with a multi-clamp secured to the steering column.  

15 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

Old mate in NZ had an Anglia and used it to carry trestles & planks for his painting contracting job.  Everything tied down fore and aft to bumpers, side to side thru open windows.  Went around a sharp bend one day, car turned 90 degrees and trestles rotated straight ahead.  Funny as. 

Steering spline was buggered and he steered with a multi-clamp secured to the steering column.  

They were a good car.

My friend has one today, but it has an 8 litre Chevy engine in it...😲

• Cool 1

After my mini crash scare I went the opposite way and bought a 1959 Ford Zephyr 2.6 Low line, put some fat wheels on it feeling a lot safer, then my 1964 MGB Roadster, soft top, wire wheels, sadly the thing fell apart with rust, I spent hours tidying the thing up to off load it.

Anyhooo, my next car that I have a photo of is a 1976 Ford Granada Ghia, 3.0 V6 with auto trans. Fabulous car for the era, independent suspension, factory sunroof, wood trim interior, a gem of a car. It belonged to my mum, she had moved to N.Wales, but the car was too thirsty for her daily drive to work and back, so I took it on.

Back in London I went over it to find it had a few rust problems, driver's door was shot, well mums place was by the sea shore where the car would take a serious salt water thrashing. So located a good door, fix the other issues, stripped out all the wood internal fittings, refurbished them to look like new.

The car was silver, I don't like silver, so when the body work was finished I had it blown over in Black. I was very pleased with the result. This is me outside mums place in N.Wales with the refurbished car, I think it was 1982...

Scan.jpg.f1ac9d9a3b09ad4e94cce2d37261299f.jpg

• Like 1