News Forum - Re-opening of Bangkok pushed back 2 weeks to reach 70% vaccination goal

Thaiger

Following a meeting between the Bangkok governor and the tourism minister, officials have decided to delay the re-opening of the capital by 2 weeks. Tourism Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn says the capital’s re-opening will be pushed back to October 15, as most residents are still waiting for their second vaccination. Currently, just 37% of residents are fully vaccinated. The Bangkok Post reports that the original plan had been to open just 21 Bangkok districts, but Governor Aswin Kwanmuang suggested waiting until every area can be re-opened, to avoid inconveniencing tourists who need to travel across districts. Phiphat says the re-opening of […]

The post Re-opening of Bangkok pushed back 2 weeks to reach 70% vaccination goal appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

8 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

Works for me. Better to push it back, no doubt other places like Pattaya and Chiang Mai will too. 

They already opened interprovincial travel and in CM cases have since doubled to quadrupled.

Starting another insane experiment early will make the infections spike further.

And because the vaccination rates are not even a fraction of Bangkok's, the result will be regrettable again.

2 weeks delay isn't enough.

They just don't learn...

Screenshot 2021-09-16 at 09.22.25.png

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Double jabbed 

PCR 

Any nationality... 

That's it. 

I don't care when.

And you don't think these people will pick up the virus here and spread it throughout the country like at Songkran? And that the majority of people here haven't been immunised (especially outside of BKK)...

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

They already opened interprovincial travel and in CM cases have since doubled to quadrupled.

Well as the Bangkok governor said the city should wait until the whole conurbation is ready to take part in the programme, maybe the country should wait until whole conurbation is ready to take part in the programme. Obviously the country is not at this time.

• Like 1

Tell me is it 70% of the official residents of Bangkok if so that's probably less than 50% of the actual BKK population. Another attempt to fudge the figures in order to open too early.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Following a meeting between the Bangkok governor and the tourism minister, officials have decided to delay the re-opening of the capital by 2 weeks. Tourism Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn says the capital’s re-opening will be pushed back to October 15, as most residents are still waiting for their second vaccination. Currently, just 37% of residents are fully vaccinated. The Bangkok Post reports that the original plan had been to open just 21 Bangkok districts, but Governor Aswin Kwanmuang suggested waiting until every area can be re-opened, to avoid inconveniencing tourists who need to travel across districts. Phiphat says the re-opening of […]

The post Re-opening of Bangkok pushed back 2 weeks to reach 70% vaccination goal appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

how are they going to control the mobility of people going in and out of BKK. It will be an administrative nightmare with so many ingress routes.

4 minutes ago, HiuMak said:

how are they going to control the mobility of people going in and out of BKK. It will be an administrative nightmare with so many ingress routes.

I think this is the easy part. Anybody breaking the rules will be red-stamped and sent to the airport. My guess is that they'll just translate the Phuket model elsewhere with the same checks and monitoring. Some people will get around it but the SHA Plus completion document is required any time you go somewhere new.

18 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

And you don't think these people will pick up the virus here and spread it throughout the country like at Songkran? And that the majority of people here haven't been immunised (especially outside of BKK)...

less than the millions of Thais wandering around the country, due to reduced transmission and infection rates, due to the fact they're all vaccinated. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

less than the millions of Thais wandering around the country, due to reduced transmission and infection rates, due to the fact they're all vaccinated. 

You ought to provide new evidence for that, because the evidence up to now shows that vaccines do not (or only slightly) limit transmission of Delta.

That is why the country should not be open to large movements of any kind (locals and tourists). Maybe that's why I used the Songkran example?! 🤔 Opening up interprovincially is already posing a problem with BKK cars arriving here in droves and cases rising rapidly. And few here have had a chance to get a vaccine yet.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JamesE said:

I think this is the easy part. Anybody breaking the rules will be red-stamped and sent to the airport. My guess is that they'll just translate the Phuket model elsewhere with the same checks and monitoring. Some people will get around it but the SHA Plus completion document is required any time you go somewhere new.

28 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

The more worrying issue will be locals commuting in and out of the capital. Could set off another potential new wave.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To open BKK the most highly infected province of Thailand is total lunacy. The authorities can not even control a medium sized island like Phuket let alone a metropolis like BKK

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Currently, just 37% of residents are fully vaccinated.

So ... 32% of residents aren't fully vaccinated and they will be within a month?

... and as it's only "residents", that leaves out a third of Bangkok's population, so even the "70%" is less than 50%.

21 minutes ago, JamesE said:

Maybe I missed it the last time I was in Bangkok, but where is the only bridge out of the sprawling capital so that the "Phuket model" can be "translated" for Bangkok?

24 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

No, that would be due to the fact that they're all allowed to rather than controlled until others have been vaccinated.

2 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Maybe I missed it the last time I was in Bangkok, but where is the only bridge out of the sprawling capital so that the "Phuket model" can be "translated" for Bangkok?

They are using the same translate service that Facebook provided to Thai pages. Bridge translates to many, many roads.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This is good news for Bangkok to reopen on October 15. I hope it will open to people from all nationalities not for shortlisted countries the way they did in Phuket, many of the international visitors were not included in the plan.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ronron said:

This is good news for Bangkok to reopen on October 15. I hope it will open to people from all nationalities not for shortlisted countries the way they did in Phuket, many of the international visitors were not included in the plan.

I'm putting my money on October 32nd...

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bob20 said:

You ought to provide new evidence for that, because the evidence up to now shows that vaccines do not (or only slightly) limit transmission of Delta.

That is why the country should not be open to large movements of any kind (locals and tourists). Maybe that's why I used the Songkran example?! 🤔 Opening up interprovincially is already posing a problem with BKK cars arriving here in droves and cases rising rapidly. And few here have had a chance to get a vaccine yet.

Yeah, in CM the other day they had a very large outbreak in the Chang Dao area. There is no way they should follow and go through with this cockamamy idiotic plan. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ronron said:

Absolutely spot on.

10 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

There is no way they should follow and go through with this cockamamy idiotic plan.

WOW …. You have come up with the name to replace the Sandbox!!! And you even have an acronym …. CIP.

• Haha 1