News Forum - Lacking gov’t aid, Phuket nightlife advises opening as restaurants

Thaiger

The president of the Patong Entertainment Business Association took a harsh stance against the long-term closures of nightlife venues in Phuket and the lack of assistance from the government of Thailand. In a fiery interview, he called on bars and clubs to open as restaurants despite the action being legally dubious and chastised the government for the long-term closure without any aid at all. Nightlife venues have been closed in April in Phuket as part of a national ban still in effect that was enacted by the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration. but unlike other industries, there’s not been any […]

The post Lacking gov’t aid, Phuket nightlife advises opening as restaurants appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Here we go again.

Offer some peanuts to nibble with a drink and call it a restaurant...

Why don't they just send all the officials home and use their salary to buy vaccines?

Jab, jab, jab... There's no other way out if this.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

local police and municipality officials are not enforcing that and allowing businesses to reopen to try to support their suffering staff.

No, but I'm sure the Falang tourists who visits the bars will get the fine.

Edited by DoUKnowWhoIAm

4 minutes ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

No, but I'm sure the Falang tourists who visits the bars will get the fine.

They know it's not allowed and would rightly get fined.

Just because something is possible doesn't mean you have to engage in it.

• Like 1

As an investor in a tourism entertainment business I totally sympathise with him. The restrictions have put hundreds of thousands out of work and effectively destroyed many smaller establishments. And yet the police still want their "tea money" and the authorities still demand business license renewal even though there is no business. The tourism industry was built on the hard work and initiative of many small business people who are now in dire straits. In no more than 400 metres from the business I suport half the bars & restaurants have gone bust and there is no one to replace them. The Thai smile is now a row of decayed teeth. Not a pretty sight and no longer a tourist attraction.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Pompies said:

As an investor in a tourism entertainment business I totally sympathise with him. The restrictions have put hundreds of thousands out of work and effectively destroyed many smaller establishments. And yet the police still want their "tea money" and the authorities still demand business license renewal even though there is no business. The tourism industry was built on the hard work and initiative of many small business people who are now in dire straits. In no more than 400 metres from the business I suport half the bars & restaurants have gone bust and there is no one to replace them. The Thai smile is now a row of decayed teeth. Not a pretty sight and no longer a tourist attraction.

I sympathise. It's no different for many other businesses.

With nobody listening, maybe you need to organise and get a voice to lobby. 

For some it's too late. And for the ones that are still hanging on: It's too late to point fingers. There's one solution: Get everyone vaccinated asap. That's the only way the country will attract visitors again.

• Like 1

This is what happens when we accept restrictions without pushback. People suffer without reason, and the law falls into disrespect. Governments lose moral authority and society is undermined.

We gave them an inch, they took and mile, and our also our livelihoods.

We would do well to remember this the next time they impose a lockdown.

I wonder what the "govern-me-harder" crowd have to say about this

He definitely has a point - not about the opening, but about the total lack of Government financial support. All Government employees are still get their salary every week/month, and yet they are requiring businesses that are closed to still pay them licences (and tea money).  The Junta is 'dead in the water' politically, and the Thai people are (finally) becoming sick of those who have been living off them for many decades - silver lining. 

• Like 2