News Forum - Thai cabinet approves new visa package to lure wealthy expats and digital nomads

Thaiger

The government is forging ahead with a new visa package that targets rich expats, in an attempt to inject some foreign money into an economy decimated by Covid-19. The package will include attractive perks, such as a 10-year visa that covers not just the individual, but their spouse and children too. According to government spokesman Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana, also included is a work permit, with visa holders paying the same tax rate as Thai nationals. They will also be exempt from tax on income earned abroad and entitled to own property and land. Thanakorn adds that starting next year, and over […]

The post Thai cabinet approves new visa package to lure wealthy expats and digital nomads appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

There seems to constant announcements of what they plan to do and future changes and then nothing seems to happen . 

It seems to be endless announcements of what they intend to do in the future

• Like 1

Isn’t this pretty much a rehash of the proposal from a few months ago? 
“entitled to own property and land.” - what kind and how much land? Are they talking a single family home on a small plot of land? Or are they going to allow you to own farm land? How about a building complex or apartment building? You know something you might be able to make money at?

I call this one HOGWASH, just as the previous similar proposals. A bunch of officials with nothing to do present plan after plan thatll never come true. And theyre getting payed for it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What gets me is the stated need to have US$100,000 medical coverage even though they are investing millions!

Wasn't the argument for medical coverage on other visas all about foreigners not paying or being able to pay health costs?

• Like 2

I know that people will be interested in living a less stressful life in Thailand and also have the means. They can easily manage their business remotely and contribute from a nice mansion in the middle of nowhere as long as they have internet. If not all year, then certainly part of the year.

However, if you are in this category there are not millions, and you would want to be handled individually and not by a clerk speaking 5 words of English. They're also not going to show their wealth to all the staff at immigration with paperwork that could end up anywhere.

This plan could work if it was handled with some class but not for huge numbers.

Oh, and not until Covid is managed here...

• Haha 1

Cyprus  is a far better option. Route to citizenship for the applicant plus family for €250k and no restrictions on the kind of property invested in. Can be split between 2 properties as well. Also in the EU with the visa free travel right of abode etc that comes with it too. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

They're also not going to show their wealth to all the staff at immigration with paperwork that could end up anywhere.

So true, i don't want to be target by "Joe Ferrari" wannabes out there. 

• Haha 3

Here we go again another hairy fairy totally waste of time, fantastic none starter of a scheme.

When are those clowns going to come up with a useful sensible idea, instead of all this hairy fairy nonsense?

• Like 2

Just now, colinneil said:

Here we go again another hairy fairy totally waste of time, fantastic none starter of a scheme.

When are those clowns going to come up with a useful sensible idea, instead of all this hairy fairy nonsense?

I take it that you don't meet the criteria then?  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Chaimai said:

I take it that you don't meet the criteria then?  😂

For once in my life.... Words fail me.🤣

Only thing i will say is..... I cannot find my shoes, can you help?

Edited by colinneil
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, colinneil said:

For once in my life.... Words fail me.🤣

Only thing i will say is..... I cannot find my shoes, can you help?

Rumour has it that it was Faraday who walked off in them😂

1 hour ago, remo940 said:

Croc of S..T again. Digital nomads, give me a break

coders, drop shippers, lay a bouts and dreamers, in fact anyone with a laptop 🙄

Would be perfect timing if they made a digital nomad visa, I wouldn’t mind paying taxes to Thailand over my home country for a visa, they’re taxes are cheaper anyways 

1 hour ago, dj230 said:

Would be perfect timing if they made a digital nomad visa, I wouldn’t mind paying taxes to Thailand over my home country for a visa, they’re taxes are cheaper anyways 

please wake up.... if there comes such a visa, they will make it useless anyway with some stupid rules....

either way i always like their 'predictions' expecting 1 million wealthy people to lure in... let's wait a few months and they they change it to 100,000

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paco said:

please wake up.... if there comes such a visa, they will make it useless anyway with some stupid rules....

either way i always like their 'predictions' expecting 1 million wealthy people to lure in... let's wait a few months and they they change it to 100,000

Forget about those last 3 zeros 🤭

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paco said:

You’d be surprised how many people would love to move to Thailand and work online here. It just hasn’t hit the mainstream yet. 

This is coming from a person in his mid 20’s who just moved to bangkok from Toronto. Thailand is WAY better than I thought and it’s nothing like it’s portrayed to be in mainstream media. 
I bet if people started finding out about how modern and technologically advanced Thailand is, they’d be here in a heart beat. 

wait until people find out instead of living in a bunk bed in Toronto, with a shared bedroom with a stranger, in a basement, it costs the same as living in a nice condo in the center of bangkok

Now whether or not they start giving out digital nomad visas is another topic I have no clue about, but one can only hope. It would make sense if digital nomads paid taxes in thailand in exchange for a visa, everyone wins. 

Edited by dj230

23 minutes ago, dj230 said:

You’d be surprised how many people would love to move to Thailand and work online here. It just hasn’t hit the mainstream yet. 

This is coming from a person in his mid 20’s who just moved to bangkok from Toronto. Thailand is WAY better than I thought and it’s nothing like it’s portrayed to be in mainstream media. 
I bet if people started finding out about how modern and technologically advanced Thailand is, they’d be here in a heart beat. 

wait until people find out instead of living in a bunk bed in Toronto, with a shared bedroom with a stranger, in a basement, it costs the same as living in a nice condo in the center of bangkok

Now whether or not they start giving out digital nomad visas is another topic I have no clue about, but one can only hope. It would make sense if digital nomads paid taxes in thailand in exchange for a visa, everyone wins. 

I know a couple of guys who tried Chang Mai but the pollution drove them out,of course they had no chance of getting any sort of visa to stay and work.They went to Vietnam for a while and ended up in Hungary.