News Forum - Red Cross to get 946 million baht to purchase 1 million doses of the Moderna mRNA vaccine

Thaiger

The cabinet has decided to allocate around 946.3 million baht from the Central Fund to the Thai Red Cross Society so they can buy 1 million doses of the Moderna mRNA vaccine, which will be used to vaccinate specific target groups, for free. Zuellig Pharma Company, the representative for Moderna in Thailand has offered to sell the US produced vaccine to Thailand at 940 baht a dose, with an additional 26.76 baht per dose as a transport fee; which brings the total to 966.75 baht a dose. A down payment would also be required: 30% of the total order value. […]

The post Red Cross to get 946 million baht to purchase 1 million doses of the Moderna mRNA vaccine appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

14 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

The cabinet has decided to allocate around 946.3 million baht from the Central Fund to the Thai Red Cross Society so they can buy 1 million doses of the Moderna mRNA vaccine, which will be used to vaccinate specific target groups, for free. Zuellig Pharma Company, the representative for Moderna in Thailand has offered to sell the US produced vaccine to Thailand at 940 baht a dose, with an additional 26.76 baht per dose as a transport fee; which brings the total to 966.75 baht a dose. A down payment would also be required: 30% of the total order value. […]

The post Red Cross to get 946 million baht to purchase 1 million doses of the Moderna mRNA vaccine appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

They could have purchased 2m doses of Pfizer for that...

Government (tax) money well spent...

26 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Government (tax) money well spent...

Just think its lucky it's not half a million Sinovac.....😁😁😁

Would this be a million of the five that Moderna promised us months ago, that we already paid deposits on, but the Red Cross is going to take away from us?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TukTuk said:

Why not until next year? That should be the main question.

Because they can't supply.

Last month you could register and pre-pay for Moderna at BKK Hospitals, and even those will arrive between January and March 2022 (they hope with no guarantee)

They could instead order double the number from Pfizer for less money and obtain them quicker 🤬

12 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

Would this be a million of the five that Moderna promised us months ago, that we already paid deposits on, but the Red Cross is going to take away from us?

The very same.

Or the one before, I forget, it's been too long.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Because they can't supply.

Last month you could register and pre-pay for Moderna at BKK Hospitals, and even those will arrive between January and March 2022 (they hope with no guarantee)

They could instead order double the number from Pfizer for less money and obtain them quicker 🤬

Well Bob, you can walk into any place in the US and get a Moderna dose today.

I strongly suspect, the powers to be expect tons of corruption money for this purchase and have not figured out how they can pull it off.

Why hasn't the Red Cross got the money yet for this purchase? What is holding that up since it is September already?

Edited by TukTuk
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TukTuk said:

Yes, but in the US they ordered it in time 😉

Now money will be allocated for the downpayment later this month, and only then the order will be processed. 

Same with BKK Hospitals. The GPO would not place the order until BKK Hospitals paid the GPO, which is why anyone registering had to prepay too.

1 hour ago, AlexPTY said:

Why? What's so special about RC?

It is likely the top charitable organizations in Thailand. It is the leading HIV treatment facility in Thailand. It provides medical services to the needy all over Thailand.

They would be administering the vaccine to some of the most immunocompromised in the country.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

It is likely the top charitable organizations in Thailand. It is the leading HIV treatment facility in Thailand. It provides medical services to the needy all over Thailand.

They would be administering the vaccine to some of the most immunocompromised in the country.

I think that needs specification.

The TRC-ARC in BKK is a leading HIV research and treatment centre.

But the TRC as a whole isn't.

It's a general humanitarian organisation and some TRC locations have already functioned as jab-locations for the general population.

The severely immunocompromised are under care of hospitals, not TRC.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bob20 said:

Indeed they could have.  And further the Pfizer might be delivered earlier.

This is a puzzle .... There must be more to this.

Edited by oldcpu

42 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

I think that needs specification.

The TRC-ARC in BKK is a leading HIV research and treatment centre.

But the TRC as a whole isn't.

It's a general humanitarian organisation and some TRC locations have already functioned as jab-locations for the general population.

The severely immunocompromised are under care of hospitals, not TRC.

If you have HIV, you are considered immunocompromised and they care for them in BKK. I'd have no clue how many patients they see regularly, but I'd imagine it is quite a bit. One of my wife's family members has HIV and they got to TRC in BKK for their regular care.

We went with them on their initial visit, and it was very busy, I'd estimate 50 people waiting on a regular weekday in just the hour we were there.

So I'd gather they see 1000's of people for care.

I guess the point of my reply was that is a worthy recipient to receive the doses.....

Edited by Marc26

9 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

If you have HIV, you are considered immunocompromised and they care for them in BKK. I'd have no clue how many patients they see regularly, but I'd imagine it is quite a bit. One of my wife's family members has HIV and they got to TRC in BKK for their regular care.

We went with them on their initial visit, and it was very busy, I'd estimate 50 people waiting on a regular weekday in just the hour we were there.

So I'd gather they see 1000's of people for care.

I guess the point of my reply was that is a worthy recipient to receive the doses.....

Fair enough for TRC-ARC, just pointed out that that's not the general TRC's task.

1 minute ago, Bob20 said:

Fair enough for TRC-ARC, just pointed out that that's not the general TRC's task.

Yeah I worded the "medical care" a bit weird in my original post

I just don't think people may realize how vital they are in HIV care in Thailand ( which is a good thing I guess! services not needed.....)

3 hours ago, MrStretch said:

Moderna didn’t promise anything, the buffoons in charge along with the hospitals who wanted a few million on account earning interest did! 

Moderna have said all along Thailand isn’t  getting any until it’s ordered and paid for. That never happened. 

57 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

I don’t think it works like that

There aren’t millions of vaccines lying around waiting for customers and there is also limited production capabilities. 

You get what’s available. 

3 hours ago, TukTuk said:

I strongly suspect, the powers to be expect tons of corruption money for this purchase and have not figured out how they can pull it off.

Why hasn't the Red Cross got the money yet for this purchase? What is holding that up since it is September already?

Who would the ‘corruption money’ come from ? I don’t understand 

Moderna aren’t short of customers given most consider it the gold standard so it won’t be them 

10 minutes ago, Benroon said:

I don’t think it works like that

There aren’t millions of vaccines lying around waiting for customers and there is also limited production capabilities. 

You get what’s available. 

16 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Moderna didn’t promise anything, the buffoons in charge along with the hospitals who wanted a few million on account earning interest did! 

Moderna have said all along Thailand isn’t  getting any until it’s ordered and paid for. That never happened. 

5 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Who would the ‘corruption money’ come from ? I don’t understand 

Moderna aren’t short of customers given most consider it the gold standard so it won’t be them 

https://thethaiger.com/talk/topic/5167-news-forum-red-cross-to-get-946-million-baht-to-purchase-1-million-doses-of-the-moderna-mrna-vaccine/?do=findComment&comment=59468

All orders are negotiated and need to be paid. Some in advance. The fact that we get stocks later means that it's negotiated too long or ordered (or paid) too late. And with western companies there won't be brown envelopes, they usually provide discounts on large orders in the form of extra free doses or more discount on the next order.

3 hours ago, TukTuk said:

Which is very probably why you can't get it here!

The UK has six times as many doses as it needs, so many it's just thrown away 800,000 doses it couldn't use, and the US has five times as many - which, given the anti-vaxx nut-jobs in the US, is probably ten times as many as it needs 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldcpu said:

"A puzzle"?

It's all a bit wierd.

The Thai government's paying for it, giving the Thai Red Cross a billion baht to buy a million doses of Moderna.

Why not save time, cut out the middleman, and buy a million doses of Moderna themselves?

Or keep things simple and buy two million doses of Pfizer if they're available?

It's yet another completely unfathomable decision .....

51 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

And with western companies there won't be brown envelopes.

I remember Rolls Royce saying that ... and British Aerospace ... and  Airbus .... and Ericsson ... and  Odebrecht ... and Siemens ... 

• Like 1