Thailand likely to remain on U.K's Red list

Fluke

Whilst this is welcome news to those perhaps travelling from some countries to the UK , from those countries such as Turkey after 4th October I don't quite see how it will be of much help.  The rules still say "under an approved vaccination program" for those travelling from the rest of world to the UK yet Turkey for example is not on that list hence it appears they will still have to go thro pre-departure covid tests, tests after 2 and 8 days after arrival and also 10 days quarantine even though they may well have had 2 doses of vaccine administered in their departure country.

So given that then unless the list of approved vaccination program countries is amended further at a later date then when Thailand eventually moves from red to green, then under these new rules the same issues will be applicable as those just outlined. Not to helpful really in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2021 at 6:39 AM, gummy said:

Whilst this is welcome news to those perhaps travelling from some countries to the UK , from those countries such as Turkey after 4th October I don't quite see how it will be of much help.  The rules still say "under an approved vaccination program" for those travelling from the rest of world to the UK yet Turkey for example is not on that list hence it appears they will still have to go thro pre-departure covid tests, tests after 2 and 8 days after arrival and also 10 days quarantine even though they may well have had 2 doses of vaccine administered in their departure country.

So given that then unless the list of approved vaccination program countries is amended further at a later date then when Thailand eventually moves from red to green, then under these new rules the same issues will be applicable as those just outlined. Not to helpful really in my opinion.

Think Thailand will end up paying a big price for using Sinovac, Australia doesn't recognise Sinovac as I'm sure there are many countries with the same policy. Sadly another hurdle for the Thai Govt to get over in opening up to countries other than China.

On 9/18/2021 at 6:39 AM, gummy said:

The difference is that you can quarantine in your own home and you don't have to spent 2300 Quid doing bird doing a ten day stretch in a quarantine hotel 

1 minute ago, Fluke said:

The difference is that you can quarantine in your own home and you don't have to spent 2300 Quid doing bird doing a ten day stretch in a quarantine hotel 

Which is of no use to tourists from Turkey or elswhere as they would not have a UK home

On 9/15/2021 at 10:46 AM, Fluke said:

Thank-you , I am currently in Thailand and waiting to get back to the U.K and I want to avoid the expensive quarantine in the U.K , so will wait until those restrictions are lifted .

You and me both

I was hoping not to need to go too soon  (family matters) but getting pressure from family (sis)  who wants me asap but wont contribute to quarantine

26 minutes ago, palooka said:

Think Thailand will end up paying a big price for using Sinovac, Australia doesn't recognise Sinovac as I'm sure there are many countries with the same policy. Sadly another hurdle for the Thai Govt to get over in opening up to countries other than China.

Well, there is 12m ready tourists to come from China, so I dont really see the big price argument. 12m in 2019 anyway. Australia will suffer, naturally, but they're used to cutting their nose off to spite their face.

35 minutes ago, poohy said:

You and me both

I was hoping not to need to go too soon  (family matters) but getting pressure from family (sis)  who wants me asap but wont contribute to quarantine

The next date when the U.K releases its lists is on Oct 7 th .

I was going to go to Cairo this week-end and spend ten days there , as its Amber . But I think that I will now wait until the 7 th . 

Imagine going to Egypt and then Egypt goes to red and Thailand goes to Amber 

10 minutes ago, Fluke said:

I was going to go to Cairo this week-end and spend ten days there , as its Amber . But I think that I will now wait until the 7 th . 

Imagine going to Egypt and then Egypt goes to red and Thailand goes to Amber 

Yes that would be unfortunate mind you used to live/work  in Cairo so i could certainly do 10 days catching up with people and places 

doubt the Egyptian beer has improved but they do have fantastic sheesha

6 hours ago, Poolie said:

Well, there is 12m ready tourists to come from China, so I dont really see the big price argument. 12m in 2019 anyway. Australia will suffer, naturally, but they're used to cutting their nose off to spite their face.

IF China opens its borders again (and that's a big if for the foreseeable future) that will be 12 million tourists staying in Chinese owned hotels, eating in Chinese owned restaurants and visiting Chinese owned attractions.

In what way does Thailand benefit from that? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

IF China opens its borders again (and that's a big if for the foreseeable future) that will be 12 million tourists staying in Chinese owned hotels, eating in Chinese owned restaurants and visiting Chinese owned attractions.

In what way does Thailand benefit from that? 

During my frequent pre-Covid trips to Thailand I didn't see this at all. Presumably you have. Which Chinese businesses do this, on this scale?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Poolie said:

During my frequent pre-Covid trips to Thailand I didn't see this at all. Presumably you have. Which Chinese businesses do this, on this scale?

Almost all of them.

Surprised you did not know that.

On 9/15/2021 at 4:35 AM, Chaimai said:

As I keep saying, this is not about (mass) testing. Remember, Thailand previously held amber status before the last review.

The Department of Transport said that it has made the decision to move Thailand and Montenegro to the red list because to reflect "the increased case rates in these countries and the higher risk that travel from these countries poses to UK public health".

It added in a statement: "The high rates combined with lower levels of published genomic surveillance in Thailand and Montenegro than other countries, mean that an outbreak of a new variant or existing variants of concern (VOC) or variants under investigation (VUI) cannot be easily identified before it is imported and seeded across the UK."

Genomic surveillance is not mass testing!

I am an analytical expert and I predict that Thailand will revert to amber on the 16th September review, or the 7th October review.

The country will be opened by 1st November so might as well change to amber now.

The real irony is that the UK infection rates are 2.4X that of TH for the past 7 days and 4.8X overall. Who's red-listing who again?

On 9/17/2021 at 1:29 PM, gummy said:

Well Grant Shapps, The Transport secretary is due to give an update later today so I don't see how it could have been stated only perhaps speculated upon as it has not yet been officially announced what the changes are.

I can never get over the fact that Failing Grayling was replaced by Crap Shapps as Transport Sec.

8 hours ago, Poolie said:

There was mention of this sort of organised touring in the Bangkok Post a few years ago and Thailand were supposedly putting a stop to it.

Fly in in Chinese planes specifically chartered by Chinese Travel agents, collected by Chinese tour guides, put on Chinese owned buses, taken to Chinese owned hotels, tours with same buses to Chinese owned shops, and various monuments, with flag on a stick tour operators (Chinese) etc etc. Chinese said it was safer for their citizens, they would have been lucky to even hear Thai spoken let alone meet a Thai.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

The real irony is that the UK infection rates are 2.4X that of TH for the past 7 days and 4.8X overall. Who's red-listing who again?

It is all about the deaths and ICU  admissions (which vaccines prevent).

..... and having the balls to open up your country in an appropriate manner.

20 hours ago, poohy said:

You and me both

I have a spare room in the U.K. (London)  which needs decorating , you can stay there in quarantine if you help me decorate the whole property ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chaimai said:

It is all about the deaths and ICU  admissions (which vaccines prevent).

..... and having the balls to open up your country in an appropriate manner.

WADR: "Having the balls" means being prepared to put the lives and health of others at greater risk.

8 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

WADR: "Having the balls" means being prepared to put the lives and health of others at greater risk.

Not if they are vaccinated 

"Having the balls" means taking an intelligent risk assessed approach to balance the health of your citizens with the economic and psychological necessity of getting the world back to a semblance of normality.

With changes coming  to the U.Ks policies coming next Monday and Thailand opening up whilst staying on Red , if you need to get back to the U.K soon , it may be a good idea to go now , stopping off in an Amber Country , just incase they reverse their decisions and get strict again 

https://www.bbc.com/news/explainers-52544307

On 9/30/2021 at 2:55 PM, poohy said:

You and me both

I have just read that there will be no more adjustments to the Red/Green status of Countries , except on special occasions . 

The 3  weekly review seems to have finished 

"However, the major announcement on 17 September looks set to be the final such review for the foreseeable future, with the three-week window being scrapped for now.

Future announcements and changes to the category lists are only expected to occur if new Covid variants of concern are identified which necessitate re-assessment of the restrictions."

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/travel/travel-update-next-when-new-restrictions-start-date-covid-review-explained-1207690

• Thanks 1

Asked Boris when I can come home he said book yourself a nice Christmas dinner over there, enjoy a good new year and with some luck if the Thai government pulls its finger outta its ar#e you might be ok for an egg easter back in Blighty....

Thailand's not fooling anyone with its magic number routine you can fit UK tourists coming to Thailand in a hot air balloon.....😡