News Forum - Cathay Pacific crew fired after refusing to get vaccinated

Thaiger

31 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

They didn’t get jabbed, they got shafted instead.

@Marc26you are right, great airline as I was in seat 1A out of Heathrow to Hong Kong one New Years Eve, and well looked after.

In 1A, you certainly would be! But even in 55A, they do a great job.

I am a bit absent-minded. I have probably shown up a day late for my flight on Cathay 5-6x(they used to fly Vancouver to NYC) and the little Chinese girl would be furiously typing away, get a worrying look and say "Sorry Sir, you were supposed to fly yesterday" 

Then immediately say no worries, I will put you on this flight, no charge

If that was a US airline, I'd have to pay for a whole new flight

• Like 5

New Covid cases are worthy of discussion- but, hospitalization rates and death are the key components to track. Those two factors seems get lost in all of this. 

My wife and I have had 4 negative Covid tests in the past 3 weeks, yet we still need to sit in a hotel room with each other 4 more days of the current 14 day stay. Sure, that makes sense.🤪

And I am American and shot twice with Pfizer, if that matters. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, AdamX said:

The medical justification is that there are thousands of cases of people dying from blood clots and other complications, and all around us we see a suspicious unheard of hysteria to push a gene replacement therapy. 

Is it any wonder people don't want to take them.

And the data to support that ridiculous claim is where exactly?  Let me quote a number that may mean something to you. Of all the people dying from Covid in the U.K. over the last 6 months, only 1% were fully vaccinated. In most cases those that died within that 1% had other serious underlying conditions. Vaccines are saving thousands of life’s each and every day. The data proves it. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Marc26 said:

In 1A, you certainly would be! But even in 55A, they do a great job.

I am a bit absent-minded. I have probably shown up a day late for my flight on Cathay 5-6x(they used to fly Vancouver to NYC) and the little Chinese girl would be furiously typing away, get a worrying look and say "Sorry Sir, you were supposed to fly yesterday" 

Then immediately say no worries, I will put you on this flight, no charge

If that was a US airline, I'd have to pay for a whole new flight

That’s one thing I find generally with Asian airlines. They still see passengers as customers, not pains in the ass they have to break off from chatting with their mates to serve some food to. They are generally far more understanding and helpful. Some of the low cost carriers like Air Asia are learning some bad way, but the likes of Cathay , EVA, Singapore are far better than BA or KLM, and don’t even get me started on some of the US carriers😉

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Soidog said:

That’s one thing I find generally with Asian airlines. They still see passengers as customers, not pains in the ass they have to break off from chatting with their mates to serve some food to. They are generally far more understanding and helpful. Some of the low cost carriers like Air Asia are learning some bad way, but the likes of Cathay , EVA, Singapore are far better than BA or KLM, and don’t even get me started on some of the US carriers😉

I was on ANA in economy aisle seat and a girl in the window and no in the middle seat

I fell asleep before takeoff

Once the plane is in the air, the Japanese hostesses put on aprons to serve food 

I do weird shit when people wake me up. The hostess was leaning over me helping the girl in the window and it woke me up. I had no idea where I was. The hostess has a white apron on and I thought someone was giving me a pillow

I reached up and put my hands right on her books

She could see my shock when I finally woke up and realized what I was doing.

She giggled and and I said I was sorry. She laughed and walked away.

I would have been arrested on a US airline 555

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 1

6 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I was on ANA in economy aisle seat and a girl in the window and no in the middle seat

I fell asleep before takeoff

Once the plane is in the air, the Japanese hostesses put on aprons to serve food 

I do weird shit when people wake me up. The hostess was leaning over me helping the girl in the window and it woke me up. I had no idea where I was. The hostess has a white apron on and I thought someone was giving me a pillow

I reached up and put my hands right on her books

She could see my shock when I finally woke up and realized what I was doing.

She giggled and and I said I was sorry. She laughed and walked away.

I would have been arrested on a US airline 555

That’s a great ploy. I’ll try that next time I fly 😂😂. Not with any of the Lard Arses that squeeze down the aisle on BA or KLM mind you. I’m sure you can’t get a job on those airlines unless the width of your ass is wider than the aisle. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Shark said:

I agree with this message in the fullest extend.

I'm done with the anti-vaxxers dictating vaxxing people how to behave or that we 'should've known better'.

Don't get me wrong I'll repeat this message a billion times, I've been vaccinated as a kid and back then nobody cared to ask what was in the vaccine - There wasn't a need for this much 'proof' everybody wants to see these days.

FFS people just get vaccinated so the world can be 'normal' again. The fact that your clinging on-to your rights of freedom because don't want to be vaccinated. Really.... you didn't get any vaccination as a kid against chickenpox for example.

I can't wait till we are in sane numbers here in Thailand and panic isn't the default standard and yes foreigners with a non-something be advised to just vaccinate now as it's available for free and you can atleast get some form of protection as stated before all the new covid infections and deaths are still the stubborn part of the world. I still suggest world leaders to decide which country in Africa they decide to evacuate and make it the land of the 'free' where all the none vaxxers can live without health care since those rights on a respiratory device should be signed off due to not wanting vaccinations.

Bangkok Immigration, May 18, 2022: "I'm sorry Mr. 'X'. The rules clearly state that vaccinations are required to remain in Thailand and since you haven't gotten yours and your visa expires before you could be considered 'fully vaccinated', please accept our apologies that we cannot extend your retirement visa at this time. Please collect your paperwork and follow Somchai out to the transport shuttle. Have a nice flight home. Feel free to apply for a new visa from outside of Thailand after you have finished your vaccination. What's that? Of course you have to pay for the flight."

The writing on the wall with the vaccine mandates - and associated consequences - that are springing up around the world like toadstools, is that now is the time to rethink what is possibly going to happen and be ready for it. It's easy: Take. The. Shots.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Soidog said:

And the data to support that ridiculous claim is where exactly?  Let me quote a number that may mean something to you. Of all the people dying from Covid in the U.K. over the last 6 months, only 1% were fully vaccinated. In most cases those that died within that 1% had other serious underlying conditions. Vaccines are saving thousands of life’s each and every day. The data proves it. 

So you are saying there have been no blood clots, no palsy, no heart issues due to the vaccine?

And that no one should fear the vaccine for the reasons above?

I just want to have you on record saying that for reference, because, as always, 18 months from now, this will be a acknowledged fact by the legacy media

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, AdamX said:

So you are saying there have been no blood clots, no palsy, no heart issues due to the vaccine?

I just want to have you on record saying that for reference, because, as always, 18 months from now, this will be a acknowledged fact by the legacy media

Of course there have been incidents of blood clots (more from Covid than vaccines).

Covid remains potentially far more deadly than vaccines.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, dmacarelli said:

But my liberty. My freedom. Nobody can make me do anything!

Most of these nitwits would not know liberty if it hit them up the side of the head. It is all one big excuse, to be less courageous than a kindergartner. 

Vaccination rates are going up.

The antivaxxers and pro-choicers will be in the minority soon.

And as we know, we will likely all encounter the virus sooner or later.

When the virus gets to them, let's hope they don't get too sick.

And if they do, or worse, let's remember clearly that it was their choice not to take the jab.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

And if they do, or worse, let's remember clearly that it was their choice not to take the jab.

And if they get it and need to be hospitalized they will be screaming it is their

right to be treated first but i would tell them to move to the back of the line.

Freedom is not only about having rights,some give up their rights so others can have freedom.

5 minutes ago, birdman said:

And if they get it and need to be hospitalized they will be screaming it is their

right to be treated first but i would tell them to move to the back of the line.

Freedom is not only about having rights,some give up their rights so others can have freedom.

Emotionally I would agree, but I don't want to go that far, because then obese would need to go to the back of the queue for related problems and smokers would too etc. 

Once you start excluding or prioritising individuals there's no choosing where to start anymore.

On 9/14/2021 at 2:09 PM, Bob20 said:

👍

Remember how the KLM cabin crew wasn't required to get jabbed or tested (and didn't) and how the Olympic Team arrived in Japan infected?

Yes, vaccination doesn't prevent transmission completely (although more and more details are available that it does reduce the viral load).

But crew should at least be tested!

If you enter the plane without Covid and exit with Covid, that's not the inflight service I'm looking for!

Best not to say too much about that - the Court cases are still progressing against KLM and it's Union.

Just now, AussieBob said:

Best not to say too much about that - the Court cases are still progressing against KLM and it's Union.

I doubt they'll take our rants into consideration 🤭

I actively resigned from their loyalty programme about 5 years ago returned my points and banned my staff from flying with them.

Now, after all the help they required from the Dutch government, they are playing nice and reasonable all of a sudden with new customer service rules. But a few years ago they were on their high horse, using every rule in the book to make the customer experience as unpleasant as possible even if you used them 12-16 times a year.

• Like 2

On 9/14/2021 at 3:51 PM, Shark said:

I agree with this message in the fullest extend.

I'm done with the anti-vaxxers dictating vaxxing people how to behave or that we 'should've known better'.

Don't get me wrong I'll repeat this message a billion times, I've been vaccinated as a kid and back then nobody cared to ask what was in the vaccine - There wasn't a need for this much 'proof' everybody wants to see these days.

FFS people just get vaccinated so the world can be 'normal' again. The fact that your clinging on-to your rights of freedom because don't want to be vaccinated. Really.... you didn't get any vaccination as a kid against chickenpox for example.

I can't wait till we are in sane numbers here in Thailand and panic isn't the default standard and yes foreigners with a non-something be advised to just vaccinate now as it's available for free and you can atleast get some form of protection as stated before all the new covid infections and deaths are still the stubborn part of the world. I still suggest world leaders to decide which country in Africa they decide to evacuate and make it the land of the 'free' where all the none vaxxers can live without health care since those rights on a respiratory device should be signed off due to not wanting vaccinations.

The Australian State of NSW (largest one) is stating that 80% of the population is vaccinated, that they are probably going to ban all unvaccinated people from attending events/venues, and it will be a criminal offence to attend if not vaccinated (false certificate).  The NSW Government is basing their decision on the fact that the majority of Covid cases in hospital are unvaccinated people - clearly they are the most frequent people to contract and get very sick from Covid. At the  moment there is no stats regarding which unvaccinated attendees to hospitals are those that dont want the vaccine, or those that cannot get the vaccine yet. But the State is moving towards taking actions against those who are unvaccinated, when the number of vaccinated reaches 80+%. 

"...with the premier, Gladys Berejiklian, warning vaccine-hesitant residents they will not be able to 'let everybody else do the hard work and then turn up' for equal freedoms."

(unable to copy/paste link to websites)

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

15 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

I doubt they'll take our rants into consideration 🤭

I actively resigned from their loyalty programme about 5 years ago returned my points and banned my staff from flying with them.

Now, after all the help they required from the Dutch government, they are playing nice and reasonable all of a sudden with new customer service rules. But a few years ago they were on their high horse, using every rule in the book to make the customer experience as unpleasant as possible even if you used them 12-16 times a year.

Sorry - meant that as a sarcasm as in 'Sorry, my lawyer said not to say anything about that as the matter is before a court of law'.    I agree with you about KLM - arrogant a***s and no loss in the big scheme of things.

1 hour ago, AdamX said:

No I’m not saying that at all. The data shows some people have had these problems.  As with any vaccine, some people suffer severe and even fatal reactions. My point is that the risk of dying from such issues are very very small compared with the risk of dying from Covid. You don’t have to wait 18 months. It’s already a fact and an acknowledged fact that this is a risk versus reward decision. I would take my chances with the vaccine any day than take it with Covid. 

As was said the other day by the U.K. chief medical officer. People who discourage vaccination and attempt to spread information to discourage should be ashamed. Many many people die every day because they failed to take the vaccine. He went on to say that there is no more sad a sight, than a vaccine hesitant person being wheeled to an ICU crying and saying they wish they had taken the vaccine. 

That is my point and that is what I’m saying. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob20 said:

Vaccination rates are going up.

The antivaxxers and pro-choicers will be in the minority soon.

And as we know, we will likely all encounter the virus sooner or later.

When the virus gets to them, let's hope they don't get too sick.

Without meaning to sound too cold, or indifferent to someone's pain and suffering, the fact is Darwin was correct, and some just do not have great survival skills. And some let their intellects, or their paranoia, or their fears get in the way of good sense and precautions.

If a kindergartner is courageous enough to take a vaccine before starting school, what does that say about an adult who is too scared? 

Low vaccination rate, elevated case counts. Fairly basic stuff, but a strong intellect can twist that into many different scenarios, and create some truly bizarre explanations. 

106908518-1626295013068-20210714-mobile-fallback-J6YBS-low-vaccination-rates-elevated-case-counts.png.jpeg

Edited by dmacarelli
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Soidog said:

No I’m not saying that at all. The data shows some people have had these problems.  As with any vaccine, some people suffer severe and even fatal reactions. My point is that the risk of dying from such issues are very very small compared with the risk of dying from Covid. You don’t have to wait 18 months. It’s already a fact and an acknowledged fact that this is a risk versus reward decision. I would take my chances with the vaccine any day than take it with Covid.

As was said the other day by the U.K. chief medical officer. People who discourage vaccination and attempt to spread information to discourage should be ashamed. Many many people die every day because they failed to take the vaccine. He went on to say that there is no more sad a sight, than a vaccine hesitant person being wheeled to an ICU crying and saying they wish they had taken the vaccine.

That is my point and that is what I’m saying. 

I agree with you that taking the jab should be an individual risk-reward decision.  When over 50-60 years of age with underlying conditions (like obesity, diabetes, etc.) you would be in the high-risk category, and it might be well indicated then to take the jab.

But mandating it for everyone, even for children that have literally NOTHING to fear from catching covid-19 and EVERYTHING to lose from taking the jab, is immoral and I daresay even criminal. 

Chris Whitty knows this damn well, and his emotional black-mail message is more than shameful.

1 hour ago, BlueSphinx said:

I agree with you that taking the jab should be an individual risk-reward decision.  When over 50-60 years of age with underlying conditions (like obesity, diabetes, etc.) you would be in the high-risk category, and it might be well indicated then to take the jab.

But mandating it for everyone, even for children that have literally NOTHING to fear from catching covid-19 and EVERYTHING to lose from taking the jab, is immoral and I daresay even criminal. 

Chris Whitty knows this damn well, and his emotional black-mail message is more than shameful.

I agree with your comment about children. There is the argument that they of course can still keep this virus circulating and hence need to be vaccinated. If I had children under 16 I wouldn’t be getting them vaccinated as the risk and reward calculation is much less obvious.  To be fair to Whitty, I think his comments were aimed at adults who spread anti ax messages and especially influencers. 

19 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Cathay is the best airline I have flown, hands down. We are lucky in Vancouver that we have pretty much every Asian airline to choose from and almost all of them are excellent(I've flown all of them), but Cathay if far and above them all.

But you are correct, they were having financial issues prior to Covid

i agree, but usually take EVA flight. Interesting enough, i flew to Bangkok on September 12, day after attack by Canadian Air, oh boy. was that a concentration camp experience, we had to take single file into the toilet...

on the subject: data shows $5.7 billion price tag for treating unvaccinated Covid-19 patients in the last 3 months in US, no airline ready to pay for their crew on full benefits package

3 hours ago, Bob20 said:

Emotionally I would agree, but I don't want to go that far, because then obese would need to go to the back of the queue for related problems and smokers would too etc. 

Once you start excluding or prioritising individuals there's no choosing where to start anymore.

Maybe a little off topic but i believe in the not too far future people who willingly

ignore their health will have to pay more(or higher insurance costs)then people who try

to stay healthy.

Who gets the hart operation?The life long smoker or the overweight person ?

I hope you can agree that other wise healthy people (besides their mental problem) who have

the option to get vaccinated but chose not to and do need medical help for covid kind of were asking for it?There are reports of anti vaxers who on their deathbed admitted they

were wrong.

3 minutes ago, birdman said:

Maybe a little off topic but i believe in the not too far future people who willingly

ignore their health will have to pay more(or higher insurance costs)then people who try

to stay healthy.

Who gets the hart operation?The life long smoker or the overweight person ?

I hope you can agree that other wise healthy people (besides their mental problem) who have

the option to get vaccinated but chose not to and do need medical help for covid kind of were asking for it?There are reports of anti vaxers who on their deathbed admitted they

were wrong.

Too late 😉

https://thethaiger.com/talk/topic/4230-news-forum-us-records-over-100000-patients-hospitalised-with-covid-19/?do=findComment&comment=45421

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chaimai said:

Of course there have been incidents of blood clots (more from Covid than vaccines).

Covid remains potentially far more deadly than vaccines.

Perhaps, but as low as it may be—which is another debate—its not acceptable to fire people for not wishing to take the non zero chance of death.

27 minutes ago, AdamX said:

Perhaps, but as low as it may be—which is another debate—its not acceptable to fire people for not wishing to take the non zero chance of death.

The ones refusing the vaccines are taking a much larger non-zero risk of getting Covid with associate consequences.

You make an irrational choice to willingly take a larger risk. And if that's okay, then surely another party can distance itself from you.

You may claim free choice to jump from a building. But I claim free choice not to have to walk on the pavement below.

P S 

Anyway, it's a mute point, because your free choice is going to leave you severely restricted in the end. And I'm not even going as far as to deny you treatment when your choice lands you in ICU, but some here clearly think you should accept the consequences of your choice...