News Forum - CCIB fights virtual crimes and celebrates a year of crime solving

Thaiger

Virtual crimes are on the rise, growing stronger in form and frequency, which has resulted in the Cyber Crime Investigation Bureau expanding its crime stopping responsibilities as they celebrate their first anniversary. The newish CCIB has provided the Royal Thai Police with formidable crime prevention weaponry with the bureau forever on the lookout for cyber crimes. They aim to catch criminals, who operate both online and offline. The CCIB is led by Lt Gen Kornchai Klayklueng and was established on September 9 last year. Then, 3 months later, the division engaged in its first crime solving mission on December 22. […]

The post CCIB fights virtual crimes and celebrates a year of crime solving appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I notice they don't talk about their role in the suppression of comments and opinions about the government and *ahem* on the internet, as well.

This seems to be what they spend more of their time and effort on than anything, based on the number of times that "cyber crimes" are referred to in protests or protest organizing, political conflict and such.

I love their use of adjectives, too.  "Major" gun dealers.  One guy sold on FB and the other guy made homemade rifles, if I remember correctly.  Between the two of them, I don't think they sold 100 guns.  Really "major".

I'm all for having a "cyber crime" fighting apparatus, but don't blow smoke up our dresses about your supposed successes and what your true aims are.

• Like 1

Just now, MrStretch said:

I notice they don't talk about their role in the suppression of comments and opinions about the government and *ahem* on the internet, as well.

This seems to be what they spend more of their time and effort on than anything, based on the number of times that "cyber crimes" are referred to in protests or protest organizing, political conflict and such.

I love their use of adjectives, too.  "Major" gun dealers.  One guy sold on FB and the other guy made homemade rifles, if I remember correctly.  Between the two of them, I don't think they sold 100 guns.  Really "major".

I'm all for having a "cyber crime" fighting apparatus, but don't blow smoke up our dresses about your supposed successes and what your true aims are.

Word has it that this cyber crime outfit were going to announce the succes of their department in fighting crime for the last year on the internet but someone stole their monitors 😂

38 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

I notice they don't talk about their role in the suppression of comments and opinions about the government and *ahem* on the internet, as well

Yep I notice that too, however I also do not call that a Crime, only Thailand does call that a Crime, because certainly things have to stay a secret...

And FREEDOM of speech is not allowed, considered a Crime.. 🙄

Edited by Paco

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Cyber Crime Investigation Bureau expanding its crime stopping responsibilities

Responsibilities maybe, but noting how these government apps for Covid have been working, unsure if the Cyber ability of this force is any better than any other government department in Thailand. Usually if it hasn’t been printed on a ream of paper and signed on each page, it don’t exist.

• Like 1

I think that a special unit of police dedicated to Cyber Crime is a top concept. Cyber Crime is on the rise and defrauding people of millions. Most police forces around the world have such units. The unit in my home state helped me prevent being defrauded in a dating scam. But it needs to have clear guidelines and scope. It should never be able restricting rights to freedom and speech and the like.