Show me your Dish

spicy_girl

16 minutes ago, JamesE said:

Chilies originated in Mexico and Central America, were returned to Europe by the Spanish and spread outward from there. I haven't read how that spread happened but Spain had both east-bound and west-bound (via the Philippines) trade routes. The spice trade was very lucrative and the Portuguese had made it all the way to Japan early on. It makes perfect sense that they could have been the original importers.

Great info

On Mexico and chilies/spices.....

I can report my Thai wife was happy enough with a lot of the spicy sauces she had when we recently went to Mexico

A couple made her cough a bit, actually

That's considered a good thing, to her 5555

• Haha 1

On 9/13/2021 at 11:09 AM, JamesE said:

Cuisines, "as it should be", blend and meld and develop, pulling the best from everywhere to make something new.

I love this idea, Mr JamesE. Very true!

Ok, I am Indonesian and I had my first “English breakfast” in Thailand. Now, I go home and make this. Not the same, I just do it my way. I never ate bacon before I came to Thailand.. I like toast, like tomato, so…this is it. All around the world, I think this is the way for 100s of years.

87A3AD34-60FB-490C-96F6-F979C4E59748.thumb.jpeg.6bff44b8bb7198bbdc406eca0411822b.jpeg

• Like 2

My wife loves taking pictures of the food we cook every night so she can post to her friends on Facebook. We normally cook at home and make Isan/western/ international food. I didn't realize I was building a fan club off of the goofy stuff she has been posting of me at the family village home. This pic I was helping uncle get the food ready to cook before me and Dad drink some lao kao and become super chef for ½ the neighborhood.

PSX_20210915_010125.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, spicy_girl said:

Two things, Lowseasonlover:

I think your wife is a better cook than me.

Also, I think she is a better photographer. 🤣

These dishes are amazing. What is the name of the first one?

Keng som blaa

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mouth watering the lot of them. Thank you for the input everyone, love this forum, particularly as my wife is a teacher who CANNOT cook.  I can dream though.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, palooka said:

Mouth watering the lot of them. Thank you for the input everyone, love this forum, particularly as my wife is a teacher who CANNOT cook.  I can dream though.

My wife is amazing she tries to come up with something different everyday or some variation of something especially since this covid we stay home I've got to the point Im bored with restaurants we go just for a change but to be honest Im always disappointed.

She likes baking bread I think it's become a bit of a hobby, mainly she make Italian bread many of her friends order from her, when she makes doughnuts usually all gone the same day,

• Like 2

8 hours ago, spicy_girl said:

Sorry, I cannot see the picture KaptainRob. The PI pork dish sounds interesting. I have just started cooking with pork. I would love to know the recipe, thank you!

I did not have a picture of the Philippine Pork, though it looks similar to this [file photo] when served >

Twice-Cooked Chinese Pork Belly Recipe

Philippine Pork - a tasty, mildly spiced stew

For best results use lean Chinese-style spare rib or belly rashers (rind on) & cook in a Multi Cooker
Preparation/cooking time about 1hr. NB: longer cooking req’d if cooked  on stovetop – 2hrs or until tender.

Serves 2 to 4 (also freezes well)

6 lean pork spare rib rashers cut into 50mm cubes
1 tin diced tomatoes
2 onions diced
6 garlic gloves crushed
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp Ketchup or  1 of tomato paste
2 tbsp Brown sugar or Palm sugar
1 tbsp light Soy sauce*
1 tsp red chili – fresh or dried - add more to suit taste
1 tsp white ground pepper (increase pepper if reducing chili)
*Add extra Soy or salt, to taste after cooking

Brown the pork in cooker saute-mode or a frypan, in batches

Add all ingredients to open Multi-cooker & bring up to heat
Ensure enough liquid to just cover Pork (add 50/50 water & tomato sauce if more liquid required to cover)
Put lid on cooker - bring up to pressure for 15 to 20 minutes
Remove from heat & allow pressure to bleed-off
Remove lid carefully to avoid steam burns, then select saute mode & simmer, stirring frequently, until liquid is reduced to a thick sauce – approx 20 minutes.

Serve on rice or mashed potato

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Same as a Pressure cooker?

Yes.  I used a pressure cooker in Aus and bought a Multi-cooker for use in Thailand [K-Mart one] as safer for my wife to use in various modes.  Also works as stand-by 2nd rice cooker if needed.

I should note that I always trim any excess fat from pork belly, not the thin layer adjacent the skin, as it's delicious.  Wife allows one meal of this dish per month purely for health reasons, hers I think more than mine.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Yes.  I used a pressure cooker in Aus and bought a Multi-cooker for use in Thailand [K-Mart one] as safer for my wife to use in various modes.  Also works as stand-by 2nd rice cooker if needed.

I should note that I always trim any excess fat from pork belly, not the thin layer adjacent the skin, as it's delicious.  Wife allows one meal of this dish per month purely for health reasons, hers I think more than mine.

We've all sorts of gadgets, I just looked on the box we have is a Multi cooker maybe Im showing my age 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WilliamG said:

What would you call it then, please?

Not a pizza!   😀

Some dough with shit that shouldn't be on a pizza 

That's kind of long for a menu though 5555

PS.....Kaptainrob knows this routine well  😀

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Not a pizza!   😀

:classic_rolleyes: here we go again, LOL

Pizza needs pineapple on it huh?  Rhetorical question ... 😜

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Not a pizza!   😀

That's kind of long for a menu though 5555

PS.....Kaptainrob knows this routine well  😀

Home made dough = flour, salt, water & yeast. Tomato sauce = passata, onions, garlic & basil, cheese = shredded Mozarella, prawns & squid. So which of that 5hit should not go onto my pizza please. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

Home made dough = flour, salt, water & yeast. Tomato sauce = passata, onions, garlic & basil, cheese = shredded Mozarella, prawns & squid. So which of that 5hit should not go onto my pizza please. 

Pizza toppings are a sore spot for many. Witness the instant reference to pineapple; which, for some, is like shouting IVERMECTIN on a COVID topic...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, JamesE said:

Pizza toppings are a sore spot for many. Witness the instant reference to pineapple; which, for some, is like shouting IVERMECTIN on a COVID topic...

I'm pretty sure the Kapt was being facetious.

13 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

With real mashed potatoes. And a bit of mustard in the gravy. Mmmmmmmmm.

I dont like mashed potatoes reminds me of school

9 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

I dont like mashed potatoes reminds me of school

Think yourself lucky to have been given mashed potato at school , I had to do with fried spam fritters and cold baked beans 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1