News Forum - Phuket plans to set up 10 more isolation centres as Covid situation continues to worry officials

Thaiger

The escalating Covid situation in Phuket has prompted officials to establish 10 more isolation centres. Phuket’s governor, Narong Woonsiew said yesterday that the rise in infections mirrors the Covid situation in Bangkok 2 months ago. Phuket has been averaging 200 Covid cases a day, which represents a serious concern to residents that hospitals will be overwhelmed, says Narong. In fact, earlier this week the Thaiger wrote how 81% of the hospital beds on Phuket are currently occupied. The governor says that there are around 300 infected people who are waiting to be admitted to a hospital, with that number only […]

The post Phuket plans to set up 10 more isolation centres as Covid situation continues to worry officials appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

And they were worried about the dirty farang so much they created a tortuous process of COEs, pre-paid tests, mandatory stays and forced stays...and how many foreign tourists came with the virus?

It was about the vaccinated traveler coming in they needed to worry about, it was the unvaccinated and undervaccinated local.

Will there ever by a time when they will admit their focus was in the wrong direction?  Ever?

How about setting up 10 more vaccination centres instead? The only way out and the only way to maintain this sandbox is vaccination. By now, the whole population of Phuket could have been double dose vaccinated. I haven't seen stats on vaccination numbers in Phuket?? What is there to hide? If you want overseas tourists to come, that is the only way to engender confidence. Take Seychelles for example. Their vaccination number are over 80% for adults and now children 12 to 15 are being vaccinated with Pfizer.  

They have under 500 cases in total (and they do test). The population is 100,000 strung out of so many islands. Phuket is one island. I am hoping to come t Phuket early next year and I'm not alone. But I won't be coming unless the Thai Government "gets its act together" and properly vaccinated the Thai population of Phuket. Don't ask overseas tourists to do, what you wouln't do yourselves. 

33 minutes ago, Jason said:

How about setting up 10 more vaccination centres instead? The only way out and the only way to maintain this sandbox is vaccination. By now, the whole population of Phuket could have been double dose vaccinated. I haven't seen stats on vaccination numbers in Phuket?? What is there to hide? If you want overseas tourists to come, that is the only way to engender confidence. Take Seychelles for example. Their vaccination number are over 80% for adults and now children 12 to 15 are being vaccinated with Pfizer.  

The target of vaccinated should be 466k of adults .. today I read that only 430k have had 1 jab myself included and second jabs are still around the 360k mark.. they are showing off flag waving that they are giving booster vaccines now to the people only double vaccinated with sinovac!  Here's a snip from The phuket news

"As for vaccinations, government agencies are heavily promoting how many people are now receiving their third dose booster jabs, while many people across the island still have yet to receive a first injection. Even according to the PPHO’s own report, as of Friday (Sept 10) 430,927 people in Phuket have received one vaccination injection, some 35,660 short of the target 466,587. Keep in mind that is while 480,303 people have reportedly registered through the PhuketMustWin website to be vaccinated. Either the local government does not have the vaccine doses to give to these people, or the people do not want the vaccines being offered. We are wondering how long it will be before any officials even recognise that."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

And they were worried about the dirty farang so much they created a tortuous process of COEs, pre-paid tests, mandatory stays and forced stays...and how many foreign tourists came with the virus?

It was about the vaccinated traveler coming in they needed to worry about, it was the unvaccinated and undervaccinated local.

Will there ever by a time when they will admit their focus was in the wrong direction?  Ever?

And now they want to repeat the same process elsewhere. And they even find support amongst some here, instead of demanding that it's done properly!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jason said:

They have under 500 cases in total (and they do test). The population is 100,000 strung out of so many islands. Phuket is one island. 

I don't know whee you're talking about with under 500 cases and a population of 100,000 but obviously it's not Phuket.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

Who is "they"?

It's never been about "the dirty farang" and this obsession that they've somehow been held responsible in any way just doesn't hold up.

The problem's simply the vaccination procurement - or lack of it.

Why constantly dilute and detract from that?

Was a study done on AstraZeneca in the first dose and Sinovac in the second dose?

And 3 doses of Sinovac?

The goal is to drastically reduce severe cases. if tomorrow everyone is a little sick it does not matter ... Have we forgotten the priorities?

100% of those over 12 years old must be vaccinated.

Those over 50 should already all be vaccinated 100% with all doses already injected !

Edited by vvdb.fr
Correction

1 hour ago, Jason said:

But I won't be coming unless the Thai Government "gets its act together"

So you definitely won’t be coming then! Especially if that is your decision making criteria in coming to Thailand.

• Haha 1

The article states that some hotels will be used for extra capacity. 

I wounder how many already are, and how  many are owned by the Chinese and or the governors  friends?

29 minutes ago, BIGGLES said:

The article states that some hotels will be used for extra capacity. 

I wounder how many already are, and how  many are owned by the Chinese and or the governors  friends?

We have 2 next to us, with estimated 385 rooms combined. just driving around they are not hard to spot with 20 chairs out the front 2 metres spacing for new arrivals or just watch the ambulances turn up each day to take away the people taken a turn for the worst! 

4 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

We have 2 next to us, with estimated 385 rooms combined. just driving around they are not hard to spot with 20 chairs out the front 2 metres spacing for new arrivals or just watch the ambulances turn up each day to take away the people taken a turn for the worst! 

Better than Netflix then?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Maybe he's filming it, so you can watch it on Netflix later

I hadn’t thought of that. Though he may be one of those famous YouTubers on Phuket for the Sandbox!

May have to see if any posts on YouTube about this (other than the Thaiger of course).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

Here's a still from the movie

I know the tourists to Phuket always complain about the taxi service there, but what is the cost for this door to door service? 

@AdvocatusDiaboli I really don't know cost from airport to your hotel after your first test now.. but normal times taxis can be from 800 to 1500 to patong or phuket town. we have a taxi friend here and always pay 500 from patong to airport.. tuk tuks are 200 up to a kilometer and motorbike taxi 100-200 baht 1km 50 baht if you thai 

Edited by Malc-Thai

The escalating Covid situation in Phuket has prompted officials to establish 10 more isolation centres

Any information about, if these "centers" are only for local infected

Or would an expat now also have to go there?

Till now, there was "Expats will always go into private hospitals"

Even if staying alone in a owned house with big garden and a 3m fence around!

5 hours ago, Mike said:

If they stopped using hospital beds for people with only mild covid symptoms (fever, headache, fatigue), the problem would solve itself.

They don't use hospital beds for people with only mild covid symptoms (fever, headache, fatigue), they use Covid Care Centres.

The problem hasn't solved itself.

4 hours ago, Guest1 said:

Till now, there was "Expats will always go into private hospitals"

No there wasn't, only for sandboxers and other recent arrivals.

All other expats were quarantined exactly the same as Thais, last year into hospitals and this year,  after the numbers grew, into field hospitals or, if the local regulations allowed, at home.

11 hours ago, MrStretch said:

No never!  Not only will not admit their focus was wrong, they will have learned nothing by it also. Dogmatic arrogant people who are capable of unseating democratically elected governments don’t think there is anything to learn

11 hours ago, Jason said:

Well some people actually believe they are vaccinating 800,000 people per day. They could get Phuket fully vaccinated by tomorrow lunchtime if you believe that