News Forum - 2 dogs found dead in Pattaya, owner suspects poisoning

Thaiger

19 minutes ago, gummy said:

I can't think of many things much worse than an 8 month old toddler literally pulled to bits by stray dogs, but then guess it depends upon ones morals standards. What I think is bad may not neccessarily be what others think is bad.

The problem , as always , is that people ave a tendency to generalize . Soi dogs are ... people are ... that is simple thinking that does not fit individual cases as this one with the poisoned puppies  ... People are not the same , there are ' good ' ones , or ' bad ' ones , nice ones , ugly ones , intelligent ones , stupid ones ... The same goes for dogs . The big difference is that dogs ( animals ) cannot complain about mistreatment . They have no voice to be heard by most humans . They just suffer in silence .

We rescued a dying soi dog who was a living skeleton covered with open wounds .

Now , after 6 month , ( and a lot of treatments ) , he became a pretty boy . His body is healthy now , but he still is deeply traumatized by what he's gone through . He does not let anybody come near , he is too scared by people . He never had a positive experience in his life , he only suffered . At least that came to an end by now .

What I got from saving his life ?

A good feeling .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One more last thing to say before I am out :

I think we all agree that there are too many soi dogs in Thailand .

Right ?

I still think the best approach to that problem is what Soi dog are doing . Not killing them but neutering .

Imagine every dog hater would have the right to shoot as many stray dogs as he can ... would be a very insecure place here , for the dogs and for the people .

Try to think positive , if you are annoyed by something that you cannot change , it is better to change yourself . Learn to live with it . If you cannot , move away .

One more thing about hate : you have to let it out , ( better in a reasonable way ) , on a forum for example . Otherwise it will cause a cancer to develop and kill you .

So , a forum like this one can be good for your ( mental ) health . and make you live longer ... but you should always focus on  finding what is positive first .

There is nearly always something ...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nobodysfriend said:

Why ?

Because your posts seem to indicate a ( beginning ) psychosis .

What's wrong with my reasoning?

The better question is : What is right with my reasoning ?

Oh wow,

this whole thread started with the news about two dogs that were poisoned (allegedly) in a public place, outside of the property they were tasked to guard. There are some arguments to be made over whether the owner deserved to have the dogs killed and still some other arguments to be made whether the dogs deserved it. Other posters here are trying to make the discussion about whether dogs are good animals or not. Your dog may have saved your wife from a cobra in your backyard. That's fine. But if you set your dogs loose OUTSIDE your property, even if you think it's just for protecting you from cobras, or your house from someone stealing your laptop or your five baht of gold, then you are encroaching upon OTHER people's rights. You don't have that right. Neither does the owner in the OP.

The same goes for the incessant barking. Noise pollution is a thing.

I'm making rather rational arguments about moral and philosophical takes on the problem. And I get triggered by the sheer insanity of the selfishness of the dog owners on here, but I can assure you I'm nowhere near having a psychotic episode. 

• Like 1

Without addressing anyone in particular here, I see a really serious problem looming in Thailand in regards to the dog problem. You can talk all you want about neutering dogs, there's no way that can be done in enough numbers to stop the growth of the soi dog problem. 

The soi dog population is currently dominated by a mid-sized totally neutral mix of 100 different breeds. You don't see many smaller dogs running around, presumably because they get killed by bigger alpha individuals in the area. Now that Thai people have introduced pit bulls and the like (staffs etc) into the soi dog population, either by setting them free or just letting them roam around, I predict it won't take more than 5-10 years until a mongrel version of the pit bulls will dominate all packs across the country. It will be very hard to sell Thailand as a tourism destination when that happens. It's already a bit of a challenge. 

• Angry 1

8 hours ago, thai3 said:

I thought it was anti freeze that worked, never knew coolent does as well, what's the active chemical in it?

Anti freeze and coolant are different words for the same product.it works both ways,it pushes the freezing point down and also raises the boiling point of water.

It's full of nasty stuff,have a read of the label to find out what's in there.

The green colour one is the most poisonous by far but they are all pretty nasty stuff.

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

It is possible, i have 1 dog that used to bark at night, at other dogs outside our gate, or people walking past.

Now i bought a muzzle, she got the muzzle on every night for  a few months, now no muzzle, no barking.

If my dogs bark at night, that means danger, somebody up to no good, as recently happened, dogs kicked off, who ever was outside left, next morning wife gets a phone call, her uncles home about 120 meters away, had a few items stolen, they have no dogs, no lights, no security.

So anybody walking after dark is up to no good and dangerous according to you.

What a ridiculous statement.

If you are worried about security on  your property install a security camera.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

3 minutes ago, Cathat said:

I have not seen a security camera yet which can chase of a burgler or other ill intentioned person when the owner is almost helpless in a wheelchair. If there are such robotic camera available please let us know

8 minutes ago, gummy said:

I have not seen a security camera yet which can chase of a burgler or other ill intentioned person when the owner is almost helpless in a wheelchair. If there are such robotic camera available please let us know

The camera does not lie,you can present the evidence to the police who will deal with it,that is their job.

No reason the rest of the law abiding public should suffer due to your paranoia.

• Angry 1

Just now, Cathat said:

The camera does not lie,you can present the evidence to the police who will deal with it,that is their job.

No reason the rest of the law abiding public should suffer due to your paranoia.

The point you made in reply to @colinneil postwas that if somebody was worried about security they shoud install a camera. The point I made is it would not help the person in a wheelchair, as a camera would not stop the crime being commited and I suggest that to stop a potental assault against a disabled person takes greater priority then being able to show to the police who commited the crime after the event. But then I suspect you are not disabled nor have lived with a person whom is disabled or wheelchair bound to understand how they must feel.

24 minutes ago, Cathat said:

Silly a##e we have cctv, have spotlights, have dogs, and still have problems with people  trying to steal.

So in fact it is you making ridiculous statements, next time know your facts, make sure you are correct, before making yourself look stupid.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gummy said:

The point you made in reply to @colinneil postwas that if somebody was worried about security they shoud install a camera. The point I made is it would not help the person in a wheelchair, as a camera would not stop the crime being commited and I suggest that to stop a potental assault against a disabled person takes greater priority then being able to show to the police who commited the crime after the event. But then I suspect you are not disabled nor have lived with a person whom is disabled or wheelchair bound to understand how they must feel.

So because you happen to have a disabled person living at the property you consider it acceptable that anybody walking in the area of your property after dark can be harassed by your dog's.

No I don't understand the logic.

Taking your justifications a bit further,if a child happens to walk by your property after dark and your dog harasses the child that is perfectly ok because you have a disabled person living on the property and the child may have been an intruder.

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

2 minutes ago, Cathat said:

So because you happen to have a disabled person living at the property you consider it acceptable that anybody walking in the area of your property after dark can be harassed by your dog's.

No I don't understand the logic.

Taking your justifications a bit further,if a child happens to walk by your property after dark and your dog harasses the child that is perfectly ok because you have a disabled person living on the property and the child may have been an intruder.

As Gummy says clearly you are not disabled, just a smart a##e.

Now you are being clever, but clearly not read posts further back in this thread, or if you had read them, you would not keep making stupid / offensive remarks, grow up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sawarot said:

Why? What's wrong with my reasoning?

I think it was probably your phrase "sweet sweet coolant" which marked you as a little unstable.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, colinneil said:

As Gummy says clearly you are not disabled, just a smart a##e.

Now you are being clever, but clearly not read posts further back in this thread, or if you had read them, you would not keep making stupid / offensive remarks, grow up.

Suggest you wake up, being disabled does not put you above the law.

4 hours ago, Sawarot said:

Are you a 2nd amendment moron? If I'm worried about all my neighbour owning weapons and that they're not particularly responsible about, why would me getting a gun help the situation?

I have no idea what '2nd amendment is' ?? the second part I agree with, it wouldn't help, so all in all I'm totally confused as to what you're getting at ??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sawarot said:

I'm making rather rational arguments about moral and philosophical takes on the problem. And I get triggered by the sheer insanity of the selfishness of the dog owners on here, but I can assure you I'm nowhere near having a psychotic episode. 

Go back and read your own post, dwell on the 'sweet sweet coolant' comment - rational ? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Benroon said:

I think it was probably your phrase "sweet sweet coolant" which marked you as a little unstable.

The liquid has a very sweet taste, making it irresistible to dogs. 

1 hour ago, Cathat said:

If I'm a burglar in Thailand, you can have the best CCTV money can buy, but if I'm a burglar I just need to dress in black and wear a cap and with the police disinterest I'm home and dry to rob you, hurt you, and know I will get away with it. Rob a house with a decent guard dog and its not going to be your best move.

So would you prefer to rob a house with CCTV or a dog that is going to hurt you ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sawarot said:

The liquid has a very sweet taste, making it irresistible to dogs. 

Well I never realised that. Apart from the Austrians mixing it with wine a few decades ago I never really gave it a thought about drinking anti freeze so I'll take your word for it. Bottoms up and cheers anyway. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_diethylene_glycol_wine_scandal#:~:text=The 1985 diethylene glycol wine,bodied in the style of

3 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Go back and read your own post, dwell on the 'sweet sweet coolant' comment - rational ? 

I did. It's a rational argument, but lacking in empathy. The dogs ate something they weren't supposed to eat in a place they weren't supposed to be unsupervised. And "sweet, sweet" is basically the Thai language idea of putting emphasis on something by saying it twice. Like reo reo or mak mak. 

Ok this is clearly an emotive subject I'm bowing out of too, but finally Thailand clearly has a stray dog problem, its not good for the people and certainly not good for the dogs themselves, but there is a sensible conversation to be had. There is no reason why a town by town neutering programme couldn't work over time if the will was there, and to deride charities for trying to do just that from their armchairs while offering nothing themselves is churlish!

However when that conversation falls to people taking joy in shooting and poisoning animals to die in agony (not just dogs remember, bullets and poison do not discriminate), that only tells me those peoples parents could probably have done a better job !

Have a nice day all

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Ok this is clearly an emotive subject I'm bowing out of too, but finally Thailand clearly has a stray dog problem, its not good for the people and certainly not good for the dogs themselves, but there is a sensible conversation to be had. There is no reason why a town by town neutering programme couldn't work over time if the will was there, and to deride charities for trying to do just that from their armchairs while offering nothing themselves is churlish!

However when that conversation falls to people taking joy in shooting and poisoning animals to die in agony (not just dogs remember, bullets and poison do not discriminate), that only tells me those peoples parents could probably have done a better job !

Have a nice day all

I think you're well aware that the options aren't limited to poisoning, shooting or neutering. If these "charities" spend the money on vets for neutering, why not let them euthanise as many dogs as possible when they're out there? No pain and much more efficient.