News Forum - Study shows 99.7% of Bangkok wearing masks properly

Thaiger

24 minutes ago, AdamX said:

In the example above, there is a clear and identifiable reason to detain for one person

Don't conflate this with the mass lockdowns we have now, which have no verifiable benefit, but plenty of quantifiable economic and health costs

To use the example of one person to justify removing the freedoms of everyone is straight out of tyranny 101

Conflation: The only real freedom that the anti-maskers get is the "freedom to infect others". Typhoid Mary was almost a medical aberration, in being asymptomatic. Depending on which study you read, this occurs in at least 4% of all CV cases. That would mean that at least 9 million asymptomatic cases so far. If they only infect one person each, with a mortality rate of 2%, this suggest over 180000 deaths caused by infection from asymptomatic carriers. Remind me how many people have been killed by wearing masks?

True, Typhoid Mary was only one case, but imagine the damage that can be caused by 9 mill, "Asymptomatic Adams"? 

BTW, if you want to quote Franklin, consider this: "Throughout the course of the war, an estimated 6,800 Americans were killed in action, 6,100 wounded, and upwards of 20,000 were taken prisoner. Historians believe that at least an additional 17,000 deaths were the result of disease, including about 8,000–12,000 who died while prisoners of war."

They were fighting for freedom, and in some cases, their freedom was curtailed by conscription. Hmmm?

Edited by JohninDubin
additional comment

7 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

Conflation: The only real freedom that the anti-maskers get is the "freedom to infect others". Typhoid Mary was almost a medical aberration, in being asymptomatic. Depending on which study you read, this occurs in at least 4% of all CV cases. That would mean that at least 9 million asymptomatic cases so far. If they only infect one person each, with a mortality rate of 2%, this suggest over 180000 deaths caused by infection from asymptomatic carriers. Remind me how many people have been killed by wearing masks?

True, Typhoid Mary was only one case, but imagine the damage that can be caused by 9 mill, "Asymptomatic Adams"? 

Oh boy, one is enough thanks 🥴

• Like 1

On 9/12/2021 at 2:42 AM, AdamX said:

Just for balance, there is no evidence that the  tissue paper face coverings work to protect from viruses. The is no face covering manufacturer that will say this not are there any credible studies to support the use of these fig leaves.

If they did, there would be no pandemic

N95 masks are another story.

Even the tissue masks are better than nothing. The virus is spread by becoming aerosolised, and the wearing of any mask impedes this.

19 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

I agree in part, but giving them a platform to repeat their claims many fold makes it more likely that others are influenced. That's the reason they keep interjecting everywhere with the same question that they know the answer to already... 😉 

I can almost taste your frustration.

12 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

I can almost taste your frustration.

It's not so bad. I usually give it a go, especially because I've not been here that long and didn't initially recognise the "group". But there's no reasoning with people that set "belief" above evidence. It's like religion. There's no arguing with that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AdamX said:

My freedom is essential to me, and the vaccines are, as proven, only temporary protection

An alternative and topical example would be 9/11 and the difference only a few people made exercising their "freedom" to board a plane without being checked, which has resulted in that same freedom being removed from everyone.

Not doing so isn't out of Tyranny 101 but out of Stupidity 101.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AdamX said:

And it seems like many hospital workers, fireman, pilots and policemen are leaving their jobs because they don't want to put their lives on the line taking a treatment that is being forced on them. 

Based on what?

Your over active imagination, or any actual evidence?

2 hours ago, AdamX said:

Its despicable for you to force them to take a chance with their live when they already sacrifice so much.

Utter, uninformed cock and that's being very polite.

Any "chance" they're taking is known and minimal, and far less than with previous instances such as vaccination pre-GW1.  It's a requirement of the job and it always has been.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

It's not so bad. I usually give it a go, especially because I've not been here that long and didn't initially recognise the "group". But there's no reasoning with people that set "belief" above evidence. It's like religion. So after that it's up to them. I'm not a science "Jehova" ☺️ and don't need to convert anyone who doesn't want to.

I'm not sure if they are working as a group, but my fear is not that I won't convert them, but that they may convert others. We are often dealing with those who have an evangelical zeal in getting their message across. I've had a few debates with others on here who are vax hesitant or vax sceptics, and most strike me as sensible with one notable exception.

But anti-maskers are a different breed entirely. I recall watching one American anti-masker in a TV doc claiming that Covid doesn't kill. It was only the underlying conditions that did so. That's not entirely true, but even if it were, one source estimates that 60% of Americans have such conditions including diabetes, asthma and obesity. Now factor into that, that even those without such conditions are still being infected, and one-in-three are suffering "long-covid" even after recovery in the country with the most expensive health care on the planet. 

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/60-percent-of-americans-have-underlying-condition-that-increases-covid19-risk

Edited by JohninDubin
add link
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

I'm not sure if they are working as a group, but my fear is not that I won't convert them, but that they may convert others. We are often dealing with those who have an evangelical zeal in getting their message across. I've had a few debates with others on here who are vax hesitant or vax sceptics, and most strike me as sensible with one notable exception.

But anti-maskers are a different breed entirely. I recall watching one American anti-masker in a TV doc claiming that Covid doesn't kill. It was only the underlying conditions that did so. That's not entirely true, but even if it were, one source estimates that 60% of Americans have such conditions including diabetes, asthma and obesity. Now factor into that, that even those without such conditions are still being infected, and one-in-three are suffering "long-covid" even after recovery in the country with the most expensive health care on the planet. 

Yup, but you don't need to convert me. We're on the same side of the argument.

I don't give "beliefs" much time.

3 hours ago, AdamX said:

Well, link 1 is seven maternity staff in a hospital in New York, link 2 has nothing to do with hospital workers, blue light services or the military at all but is simply "Americans" based on a poll of what they "would" do, where more than 75% polled had no higher education, and link 3 is 23 out of over 12,000 employees so less than 0.2%.

That isn't "many", which only leaves either your over-active imagination or your lack of basic comprehension skills to support your claim.