Covid UPDATE Saturday: 3,052 new infections and 24 Covid-related deaths

Thaiger

This morning the public health ministry has added another 3,052 infections and 24 new Covid-related deaths over the past 24 hours. Out of today’s new cases, 605 came from the country’s prisons where major clusters have emerged. The daily totals, even without the prison numbers, show a slow upward trend in new cases, the vast majority around Bangkok in high-density housing areas and busy public spaces (like community markets). We’ll have all the provincial totals online just after lunchtime today. • Foreigners, any foreigners in Thailand, will be able to register for free vaccination from June 7. According to the […]

The post Covid UPDATE Saturday: 3,052 new infections and 24 Covid-related deaths appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Thanks 1

I'd like to know what the general feeling is, among the present forum members, regarding the prospects for the currently high infections/deaths rate to either improve or worsen, during the next week or two. Personally, with there being so many threatening sectors, e.g. migrant worker camps, prisons, markets and densely crowded slums, I can only fear that the pandemic is going to worsen.

Having expressed that gloomy view, I'd be over the moon, quite literally, if the best-qualified & experienced expert was to tell me that all these high risk sectors were now under telling containment. Will that happen I wonder?

Throughout my 40 year plus self employed career in the UK  I trained myself out of necessity to be a realist.

Even after almost 18 years here I still have a daily realistic approach to my life here, monitoring the situation and government actions on an hourly basis, trying,sometimes in vain ,to separate the fact from the fake.

More than 15 months into this pandemic and I am unfortunately unable to reassure you or anyone else that the situation is improving.

I illustrate this with the tragic deaths recorded in Thailand on Monday 3rd May as 31in ONE day. 
This compares to a total of 60 deaths from February to December last year.

So, from where I live as a Falang Expat I see a never ending cycle of increased infections and deaths.

This may sound extremely gloomy to some but to me personally it’s reality.

The “Light at the end of the tunnel “ may or may not be found in Vaccines once it is confirmed who is going to get  them,when and where to get them,and  wether there will be a choice of reputable brands. We have all been subjected to delays caused by large doses of incompetence on the part of the authorities in charge of managing this Crisis. Will that attitude ever change……Dream on!!!

@peterg40Thanks for your excellent reply, which I have to say wasn't flagged on my 'Notifications' tab and which I've only just found, now.

It seems that you, like me, are concerned that things will get worse rather than better. Whether or not you sensed my, like your, despair at this regime's incompetence, I'm not sure, but the attributed 'I' word towards the Prayuth platoon is something that I wrestle with every day.

Thanks again

KC

WHO Coronavirus Global Data as of May 20th, 2021

United Kingdom Population:  66,796,807             Covid Confirm Cases: 4,457,927 - Death 127,710 

France Population:  67,406,000                              Covid Confirm Cases:  5,820,918 - Death 107,403

Thailand Population:  66,649,417                           Covid Confirm Cases:  126,118   -   Death 759 

I see the big picture here when I compare these other countries because their population are approximately nearly same as Thailand.  I just saw a light at the end of tunnel when I drove by Cha Am hospital seeing hundreds of Thais getting vaccinated.  Maybe I am too optimist.  

@JimLimUHi, JimLimU (great name!) and welcome to the TT forum.

Yes, those stats do make Thailand look like a pandemic-beginner. Let's hope your optimism is justified.

Happy posting

KC

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Thaiger said:

This morning the public health ministry has added another 3,052 infections and 24 new Covid-related deaths over the past 24 hours. Out of today’s new cases, 605 came from the country’s prisons where major clusters have emerged. The daily totals, even without the prison numbers, show a slow upward trend in new cases, the vast majority around Bangkok in high-density housing areas and busy public spaces (like community markets). We’ll have all the provincial totals online just after lunchtime today. • Foreigners, any foreigners in Thailand, will be able to register for free vaccination from June 7. According to the […]

The post Covid UPDATE Saturday: 3,052 new infections and 24 Covid-related deaths appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Looks like the Covid situation is yet again changing - and I dont see that changing for a long time. We are currently stuck in Australia looking forward to when we can return - looks like 2022 sometime.  The last unknown virus pandemic that hit so hard world-wide was the Spanish Flu - the first H1N1 Type A flu virus - it lasted over 2 years with 4 main waves. Getting people vaccinated will reduce that a little, but not until 70-80% of all people are either vaccinated or recovered - until then it will continue to mutate and spread unfortunately. 

• Cool 1