News Forum - Thai artist to launch legal action over National Artist title being revoked

Thaiger

Thai artist Suchart Sawadsri says he’s taking legal action after losing the title of National Artist, allegedly because of his support for anti-government activists. Suchart says it’s not the loss of the title that bothers him, but the belief that the National Culture Commission behaved inappropriately in revoking it. The Bangkok Post reports that the artist took to Facebook to accuse the commission of corruption, adding that his reputation has been damaged and he has hired a lawyer to proceed with legal action. Suchart was instrumental in the creation of the national artist award in 1984, before the Culture Ministry […]

The post Thai artist to launch legal action over National Artist title being revoked appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

20 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Thai artist Suchart Sawadsri says he’s taking legal action after losing the title of National Artist,

Government giveth and Government taketh away. 

Just now, gummy said:

Most of the elite wackos in this country are

So you need to be a wacko to be, or supportive of or by the current government?

22 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Government giveth and Government taketh away. 

I guess they had to take his title away because of the confliction with the title of National Piss Artist given that there are so many Thais eligible for it 😂

Quote: While Wissanu says national artists are free to voice their political opinions, Suchart went too far, posting his anti-government views on multiple social media platforms. He adds that this is the first time a national artist has lost his title.

The end of free speech here as they know it.

Speak good and be patted on the head and rewarded. Good boy, Good girl, here ya go!

Speak against them and see you slapped on the head and punished. Bad boy, bad girl, we must hurt you now.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gummy said:

I guess they had to take his title away because of the confliction with the title of National Piss Artist given that there are so many Thais eligible for it

Or he is now crying because he lost his stipend.

National artists receive 25,000 baht monthly for life unless the award is retracted. They are also entitled to health insurance, emergency payments, funeral costs, and a stipend of 150,000 baht for writing a biography or autobiography.

The pieces of work perceived of being on the highest level are exhibited in the Supreme Artist Hall.

6 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Suchart says it’s not the loss of the title that bothers him

Maybe the loss of the 25,000 baht a month for life.

• Like 1

That's not small change in Thailand.

Neither the US nor the UK seem to have a national artist, but each has a poet laureate.  In the US they receive $35,000 a year and in the UK 6,000 pounds.

It's just another example of how petty the Prayut administration is.

The question is how much lower can they go?

2 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Not May 19th?

On 22 May 2014, the Royal Thai Armed Forces, led by General Prayut Chan-o-cha, Commander of the Royal Thai Army, launched a coup d'état, the 12th since the country's first coup in 1932,

1 minute ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

On 22 May 2014, the Royal Thai Armed Forces, led by General Prayut Chan-o-cha, Commander of the Royal Thai Army, launched a coup d'état, the 12th since the country's first coup in 1932,

Well what happened on May 19th? I am not googling it right now. But that date lives in some sort of rude epiphany with me. 

21 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

That's not small change in Thailand.

Neither the US nor the UK seem to have a national artist, but each has a poet laureate.  In the US they receive $35,000 a year and in the UK 6,000 pounds.

It's just another example of how petty the Prayut administration is.

The question is how much lower can they go?

More to the point, why do any of this posts actually exist

9 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Doesn't matter what date, but bejesus they are persistent to say F U to all that tell them to get out or you make no money. 

4 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Well what happened on May 19th? I am not googling it right now. But that date lives in some sort of rude epiphany with me. 

On 10 April and 13–19 May 2010, the Thai military cracked down on the United Front for Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) protests in central Bangkok, the capital of Thailand. The crackdown was the culmination of months of protests that called for the Democrat Party-led government of Abhisit Vejjajiva to dissolve parliament and hold elections.

but Thailand has been a country with timelines of military coup and instability.

1 minute ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

On 10 April and 13–19 May 2010, the Thai military cracked down on the United Front for Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) protests in central Bangkok, the capital of Thailand. The crackdown was the culmination of months of protests that called for the Democrat Party-led government of Abhisit Vejjajiva to dissolve parliament and hold elections.

but Thailand has been a country with timelines of military coup and instability.

Ah yes, now I got it. So May 19 was the hard crush time, and then later came I am driven as the white snow Prayuth to save the day and take over from the villains or villain named Yingluck. Big bad tough guys. . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Ah yes, now I got it. So May 19 was the hard crush time, and then later came I am driven as the white snow Prayuth to save the day and take over from the villains or villain named Yingluck. Big bad tough guys. . 

Yep.