News Forum - PM Prayut ousts Thamanat Prompow and Narumon Pinyosinwat

Thaiger

Just days after defeating a vote of no-confidence that spawned suspicions of a rift in the party, PM Prayut Chan-o-cha has ousted controversial Deputy Minister of Agriculture and Cooperatives Thamanat Prompow as well as Deputy Minister of Labour Narumon Pinyosinwat, who was a spokeswoman for Prayut before her 1 year tenure at the Labour Ministry. The command was issued yesterday and published today in the Royal Gazette, officially removing them from the cabinet. PM Prayut said that the removals were for the benefit of the government, suggesting that some ministers be removed. When pressed for details, the prime minister merely […]

The post PM Prayut ousts Thamanat Prompow and Narumon Pinyosinwat appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Good-bye Thamanat, we hardly knew you (but, what we knew, we didn't like).

Is anyone surprised that Prayut canned him? Seriously? The ancient political adage 'When you strike at a King...' definitely came into play. Prayut, for all his many, many, many faults, was a General and Commander of the Thai army; there was never a chance that he would allow a mere 'Captain' to take a swing at him and survive. Ironically, the only chance that Thamanat could have survived is if Thailand were a free and fair Democracy and he and his acolytes were needed by Prayut to stay in power, but... We all know how the current regime came to power, and thus we all know how the current regime will stay in power for another two years. And, something that puts a smile to my face, I think we have seen the last of Thamanat for a while, perhaps permanently. The guy made a power move in the PPRP and failed. He was a 'Red' party list candidate before, but he betrayed them too. FFP/Move Forward detests the man. What is his future political vehicle? He is the leader of a small, regional party/group of MPs, likely because he pays them. Does he have enough cash left over from his heroin smuggling days to enlarge that group? Unlikely, and even if he did, there are many in Bangkok with bags of money who could thwart him easily enough. He is a snake who betrayed both sides of the political equation in the pursuit of personal glory and won't be back for a while, if ever. Who'd ever trust him?

But, Thamanat's fall isn't the interesting bit.

"Meanwhile, the ousting by PM Prayut came as a shock to Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan, the leader of the PPRP, who was not informed in advance of the purge and found out only after the royal command was published."

This seems to confirm recent stories in the Thai media of a split between Prayut and Prawit, and I would give credence to them as Thai media isn't known for its fearlessness and wouldn't publish stories of a split without some heavy-duty proof. What is behind the split? That is an interesting question and can only be addressed through speculation. Are there policy differences? I think unlikely; the two (three) 'P's all come from the same background of the military-bureaucratic womb and almost certainly think mainly alike. So, if it is not policy-driven, then why a split?

'Politics is show business for ugly people'

My guess is that Prawit's ego is the reason. In all the stories we have seen about the top of the Thai government over the last years, it is Prayut's name as Prime Minister that takes precedence. Yes, Prawit is called 'Big Brother' and receives some mild ego-stroking, but he is not the public face and he is not the PM, and his name won't be the one remembered in history. And, how could it be? He is a short, fat little troll doll, and short, fat little troll dolls don't become leaders in the days where everyone and their dog has a camera; that's gotta sting. No matter what occurs, he'll always be the 'secondary' guy, destined to lurk in the shadow of his friend; I am sure that eats away at his ego every single day. So, he took a shot, but failed. Unlike Thamanat, he'll survive as he has enough cash/support, but I think will join Prayut leaving in two years time.

More and more I come to believe that Prayut&Co will remain in office for another two years until a scheduled election and then 'Bye-Bye'.

Edited by Shade_Wilder
  • Like 6

36 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Is anyone surprised that Prayut canned him? Seriously? The ancient political adage 'When you strike at a King...' definitely came into play. Prayut, for all his many, many, many faults, was a General and Commander of the Thai army; there was never a chance that he would allow a mere 'Captain' to take a swing at him and survive. Ironically, the only chance that Thamanat could have survived is if Thailand were a free and fair Democracy and he and his acolytes were needed by Prayut to stay in power, but... We all know how the current regime came to power, and thus we all know how the current regime will stay in power for another two years. And, something that puts a smile to my face, I think we have seen the last of Thamanat for a while, perhaps permanently. The guy made a power move in the PPRP and failed. He was a 'Red' party list candidate before, but he betrayed them too. FFP/Move Forward detests the man. What is his future political vehicle? He is the leader of a small, regional party/group of MPs, likely because he pays them. Does he have enough cash left over from his heroin smuggling days to enlarge that group? Unlikely, and even if he did, there are many in Bangkok with bags of money who could thwart him easily enough. He is a snake who betrayed both sides of the political equation in the pursuit of personal glory and won't be back for a while, if ever. Who'd ever trust him?

"Meanwhile, the ousting by PM Prayut came as a shock to Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan, the leader of the PPRP, who was not informed in advance of the purge and found out only after the royal command was published."

This seems to confirm recent stories in the Thai media of a split between Prayut and Prawit, and I would give credence to them as Thai media isn't known for its fearlessness and wouldn't publish stories of a split without some heavy-duty proof. What is behind the split? That is an interesting question and can only be addressed through speculation. Are there policy differences? I think unlikely; the two (three) 'P's all come from the same background of the military-bureaucratic womb and almost certainly think mainly alike. So, if it is not policy-driven, then why a split?

My guess is that Prawit's ego is the reason. In all the stories we have seen about the top of the Thai government over the last years, it is Prayut's name as Prime Minister that takes precedence. Yes, Prawit is called 'Big Brother' and receives some mild ego-stroking, but he is not the public face and he is not the PM, and his name won't be the one remembered in history. And, how could it be? He is a short, fat little troll doll, and short, fat little troll dolls don't become leaders in the days where everyone and their dog has a camera; that's gotta sting. No matter what occurs, he'll always be the 'secondary' guy, destined to lurk in the shadow of his friend; I am sure that eats away at his ego every single day. So, he took a shot, but failed. Unlike Thamanat, he'll survive as he has enough cash/support, but I think will join Prayut leaving in two years time.

More and more I come to believe that Prayut&Co will remain in office for another two years until a scheduled election and then 'Bye-Bye'.

I guess Prawit got it wrong this time when he said "not on my watch"😉

Prayut felt pressure from the ex-drug dealer, as the convicted criminal was gaining popularity and could threaten Uncle in the upcoming power dealings and elections.

How poorly must you be performing as PM to worry that a convicted drug dealer might usurp your control of the government?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shade_Wilder said:

You absolutly forgot in your analize that he was the one who fed the monkeys. And if you understand Thai you know the low level of th IQ of Prayut just at listen how this guy talk. Thamanat knows to much dirt and organised the money flow for the monkeys, he was the fixer. 

7 minutes ago, Stardust said:

You absolutly forgot in your analize that he was the one who fed the monkeys. And if you understand Thai you know the low level of th IQ of Prayut just at listen how this guy talk. Thamanat knows to much dirt and organised the money flow for the monkeys, he was the fixer. 

To make it more clear Prawit used him as a broker. Put your Popcorn out it becomes interesting now. 

• Like 1

l dont believe the pm sacked the flour man,why would he do this ? saving face is more important,than the real issues? after all it was the pm who gave the ok for the flour man to be his fixer and to come onboard ? PM has the usual tools available to quiet a threat,as he done many times.l suggest  capt T sacking came from above,he been in the international media over the last 2 weeks with his previous history now known.it not the first time a statement in the royal gazette,has been made,without the knowledge of the current PM.that person should had sacked the whole inept government

7 minutes ago, harry1 said:

l dont believe the pm sacked the flour man,why would he do this ? saving face is more important,than the real issues? after all it was the pm who gave the ok for the flour man to be his fixer and to come onboard ? PM has the usual tools available to quiet a threat,as he done many times.l suggest  capt T sacking came from above,he been in the international media over the last 2 weeks with his previous history now known.it not the first time a statement in the royal gazette,has been made,without the knowledge of the current PM.that person should had sacked the whole inept government

Spot on the there, the real boss has spoken but what next may happen ?

Well this might just create more external and internal squabbling and you probably can bet unless Thamanat was threated with disembowelment and a cement encased stomach, his shifty character will move to give a tit for the tat because of his original tit and move to over throw the fathead and his court of fatheads out. 

I am really interested in what he really disagrees with the direction the junta is taking. Anyway, the powder puff is still an MP and this might also strengthen him to be able to create a new powder puff party as he definitely probably has his sight on doing. Wouldn't that be something if it became Prawit, Anutin and him. Please don't make me gag any further on the politics of fat heads here.