News Forum - Alex Albon will return to Formula 1 alongside Nicholas Latifi

Thaiger

The Red Bull supported Thai driver, Alex Albon will go back to Formula 1 for the next season as a Williams driver. He will be racing alongside Canadian driver, Nicholas Latifi. 25 year old Alex has been a test and reserve driver for Red Bull throughout 2021. He also competed in the German Touring Car championship after being discarded by the Austrian energy drink company’s team in 2020. Alex says that when you sit out a year of Formula 1, it’s uncertain if you’ll return, so he’s thankful to Red Bull and Williams for believing in him on his journey […]

The post Alex Albon will return to Formula 1 alongside Nicholas Latifi appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

I wonder how that is going to sit with Mercedes whilst Alex Albon remains affilated to Red Bull ? Two things could well happen. Mercedes stop being the engine supplier to Williams next year, which I doubt, or Albon formally leaves Red Bull.

Wish him well and all the luck in the world unfortunately with Williams a once great team he will need it. 

As Gummy said I read Toto Wolf was not happy with a Redbull driver in a Mercedes powered car so something is going bust.

I think Albon should break with Red Bull.  They messed him up and they messed Gasly up too. 

I also think that RBR are going to decline in relative powertrain performance once Honda withdraw at the end of the year thus becoming a less attractive prospect. 

1 minute ago, Changnam43 said:

I think Albon should break with Red Bull.  They messed him up and they messed Gasly up too. 

I also think that RBR are going to decline in relative powertrain performance once Honda withdraw at the end of the year thus becoming a less attractive prospect. 

Well agree with your first statement but not so sure about the last. Whilst Honda are withdrawing as a works engine supplier RBR have agreed rights to those engines from Honda. Plus they re employing ex Honda engineers and Honda are also "loaning" them some too.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.breaking-red-bull-agree-deal-to-run-honda-engine-technology-until-2025.3wmTSMrtsv6miuwqApz8IT.html

Red Bull have had to release Alex Albon (although they have 'future options' on him) because Wolff doesn't like the idea of a Red Bull driver driving one of his engines, yet Wolff-managed Bottas will be driving for Alfa Romeo who use Ferrari engines without them lowering themselves to whine about it. Wolff's a big baby just like his number one driver. Well, number one till about half-way through next season.

4 minutes ago, Das said:

Red Bull have had to release Alex Albon (although they have 'future options' on him) because Wolff doesn't like the idea of a Red Bull driver driving one of his engines, yet Wolff-managed Bottas will be driving for Alfa Romeo who use Ferrari engines without them lowering themselves to whine about it. Wolff's a big baby just like his number one driver. Well, number one till about half-way through next season.

Sounds very much like a Verstappen fan talking. 

Everybody loves to knock a Brit doing well in any sport, knock all you want Verstappen will never match Hamilton's achievements.

12 hours ago, Griff1315 said:

Sounds very much like a Verstappen fan talking. 

Everybody loves to knock a Brit doing well in any sport, knock all you want Verstappen will never match Hamilton's achievements.

Unfortunately for Lewis, although of course they will never admit it, Helmut Marko, an Austrian , the real Red Bull man must hate a black person being the best the world have ever seen, so will do their level best and all tricks possible to get Verstappen to win a championship. The problem of course now is there is another rising star in George Russell who appears to be head and shoulders above the Dutchman and I would guess in two years time he will be taking over the mantle from Lewis as the worlds best driver. So no doubt Red Bull will be complaining  wherever possible to the FIA about anything because poor old Max may never win it.

The local press here refer to him as a Thai driver rather than Anglo-Thai but, people who know him say he is as British as Fish & Chips. I've also seen references to Alex as the first Thai F1 driver which is quite unbelievable.  Prince Birabongse  Bhanudej Bhanubbandh, better known as Prince Bira of Siam, took part in the inaugural F1 race at Silverstone in May 1950, driving his Maserati. There is a wonderful archive film available on BBC Sport:     https://www.bbc.com/sport/av/formula1/52641917

000-PA-629206_2.jpg

On 9/10/2021 at 10:56 AM, gummy said:

Unfortunately for Lewis, although of course they will never admit it, Helmut Marko, an Austrian , the real Red Bull man must hate a black person being the best the world have ever seen, so will do their level best and all tricks possible to get Verstappen to win a championship. The problem of course now is there is another rising star in George Russell who appears to be head and shoulders above the Dutchman and I would guess in two years time he will be taking over the mantle from Lewis as the worlds best driver. So no doubt Red Bull will be complaining  wherever possible to the FIA about anything because poor old Max may never win it.

Well Max got a 3 place grid penalty for causing the accident which pre Halo days would no doubt have killed Lewis Hamilton. Can't see why something as deliberate as that did not warrant a one race ban but still Stewards know best, and no black men amongst them or the FIA officials either so perhaps that explains it.. What is it about Red Bull drivers, perhaps Max has been talking to "Boss" about lethal driving ! Anyway will Red Bull now take their 4th engine at Russia and start at the back of the grid hence negating the 3 place grid penalty punishment ?

I too feel Alex should separate from his ties with Red Bull.  In my opinion, they have a history of favouring their lead driver and expecting a lot from the second but not supporting them. Best to keep out of that sausage grinder if you can. However, simply, more cars are now powered by the Mercedes power plant and may give him some greater options. 

I do think Mercedes have hired the ultimate perceived replacement for Sir Lewis when he considers retiring, so likely the number 2 seat will become available there again. If Alex can build his credentials, then possibly other opportunities may open up.

Whilst on the sport, great win by Ricciardo yesterday and the Mclaren 1-2 brought back memories! Bet they had a big party!

Smithydog

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Smithydog said:

I too feel Alex should separate from his ties with Red Bull.  In my opinion, they have a history of favouring their lead driver and expecting a lot from the second but not supporting them. Best to keep out of that sausage grinder if you can. However, simply, more cars are now powered by the Mercedes power plant and may give him some greater options. 

I do think Mercedes have hired the ultimate perceived replacement for Sir Lewis when he considers retiring, so likely the number 2 seat will become available there again. If Alex can build his credentials, then possibly other opportunities may open up.

Whilst on the sport, great win by Ricciardo yesterday and the Mclaren 1-2 brought back memories! Bet they had a big party!

Smithydog

Yep if Lewis  and MB couldn't win then Mclaren has to be the next choice. Riccardo deserved that win and he is just a nice guy. Great looking forward after the Hamilton era to Russell, Norris, Alexander , MB, Mclaren and Williams respectively with British drivers

On 9/10/2021 at 12:14 PM, GMoney2312 said:

I started to watch the Netflix show about Formula One, which is outstanding. So I actually know what you guys are saying!💯

Made me laugh.  You could always start comparing or commenting on NASCAR and see how the boys follow you.

I've been to a couple of F1 races, and prefer watching them on the box, than in person.

It'll be interesting to see the Albon drama play out.  There are such volatile personalities in the sport.

• Like 1