News Forum - Thai immigration official transferred amid allegations of bribery

Thaiger

A Thai immigration official has been transferred and an investigation launched following allegations of corruption. The officer is accused of demanding regular bribes from an immigrant in the Hat Yai district of Songhkhla, in southern Thailand. Officers from Immigration Division 6 have now launched an investigation into the claims. They insist the investigation will be transparent and impartial, adding that if the officer is found guilty, he will be punished accordingly. The alleged corruption came to light as a result of a recording published by the anti-corruption Facebook page, Strong Thailand. The sound clip is allegedly a conversation that took […]

The post Thai immigration official transferred amid allegations of bribery appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

16 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

he will be punished accordingly.

So, as there won't be any impartial or transparent investigation... no punishment.

23 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

A Thai immigration official has been transferred

To an area where the official can make more money on the take whilst those in his previous post carry out investigations how they can make the same money now this official has moved on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Laughable isnt it, if the officer is found guilty, he will be punished accordingly, ha,ha.

All that will happen is a transfer, and a reprimand for not sharing the money with his superiors.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

I love the government answer to malfeasance in office...transfer.

Just like shells and pea. Move around until you have forgotten where the corrupt official pea is.

I have been to the immigration office in Phuket a few times and I see people jumping the queues carrying large baskets of goodies which they hand over in the open to the officer they are being attended by. 

Three years ago I had a house built in Rayong, it needed to be surveyed and some papers passed but there was a long waiting list, seven thousand baht was mentioned and there was suddenly and immediate opening to have it all done.

You can only laugh as it will never change so as I am only in Thailand part time it does not affect me really and it seems to be part of the game.

As I've stated on here before Thailand is institutionalized corrupt from the top to bottom. Its just an excepted thing that if you want anything done you need to stump up some tea money first. Or with one department its pay up if you want them to do nothing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gummy said:

Of course the investigation will be transparent, ar'n't they all ?

2 hours ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

So, as there won't be any impartial or transparent investigation... no punishment.

2 hours ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

To an area where the official can make more money on the take whilst those in his previous post carry out investigations how they can make the same money now this official has moved on.

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Laughable isnt it, if the officer is found guilty, he will be punished accordingly, ha,ha.

All that will happen is a transfer, and a reprimand for not sharing the money with his superiors.

2 hours ago, Inlandchris said:

You know, if you find one cockroach ...

2 hours ago, whitesnake said:

Yet another governmental department that's rotten to the core!!

1 hour ago, MrStretch said:

I love the government answer to malfeasance in office...transfer.

7 minutes ago, JamesR said:

I have been to the immigration office in Phuket a few times and I see people jumping the queues carrying large baskets of goodies which they hand over in the open to the officer they are being attended by. 

Three years ago I had a house built in Rayong, it needed to be surveyed and some papers passed but there was a long waiting list, seven thousand baht was mentioned and there was suddenly and immediate opening to have it all done.

You can only laugh as it will never change so as I am only in Thailand part time it does not affect me really and it seems to be part of the game.

And now compare the West. At least if someone c*cks up, there's compensation to be paid! Yeay!

Oh wait, that's compensation paid from money that the taxpayer paid in the first place and will have to pay again to refill the coffers... 🥴

B*gger!

5 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

And now compare the West. At least if someone c*cks up, there's compensation to be paid! Yeay!

Oh wait, that's compensation paid from money that the taxpayer paid

But the person is not “transferred” …… sorry they are, to a barred cell for a stretch of time. 
Either way our tax dollars/pounds/pesos/baht at work. Mind you if they get caught doing it in the wrong country or to the wrong person, they may just disappear, so no tax dollars etc need to be paid out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

But the person is not “transferred” …… sorry they are, to a barred cell for a stretch of time. 
Either way our tax dollars/pounds/pesos/baht at work. Mind you if they get caught doing it in the wrong country or to the wrong person, they may just disappear, so no tax dollars etc need to be paid out.

That would be nice if it happened. But usually, in western Europe at least, the culprit can't be found after extensive investigation amongst civil servants and citizens get compensated with no further individual action taken.

9 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Oh wait, that's compensation paid from money that the taxpayer paid in the first place and will have to pay again to refill the coffers... 🥴

B*gger!

Insurance pays it.

My Thai sister in law in the UK was awarded £300,000 as she was misdiagnosed with a medical problem over a period of three years by a doctor, the doctors insurance paid for it all. 

She is now receiving the correct treatment, she said a number of times thank god it happened in England rather than Thailand as she would have been dead by now.

I don't know any Thai person who has left Thailand over the last thirty years for the 'West' ever wanting to go and live back there.

Thailand is great for long holidays but we as farangs are never allowed to live there permanently as we have to get annual visas and do three monthly visits to the immigration office yet Thais can be fully nationalised in the 'West'.

As long as you have money Thailand loves farangs, once you have none you are out on your arses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

But usually, in western Europe at least, the culprit can't be found

Then it just depends where your from and how high up, or low down the corruption meter your country is. I suppose this would not even make the news in Somalia.

2 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Insurance pays it.

My Thai sister in law in the UK was awarded £300,000 as she was misdiagnosed with a medical problem over a period of three years by a doctor, the doctors insurance paid for it all. 

She is now receiving the correct treatment, she said a number of times thank god it happened in England rather than Thailand as she would have been dead by now.

I don't know any Thai person who has left Thailand over the last thirty years for the 'West' ever wanting to go and live back there.

Thailand is great for long holidays but we as farangs are never allowed to live there permanently as we have to get annual visas and do three monthly visits to the immigration office yet Thais can be fully nationalised in the 'West'.

As long as you have money Thailand loves farangs, once you have none you are out on your arses.

I was talking about government failures where the taxpayer pays the bill regardless. That happens within the NHS to some extent too, but in case of a doctor it's different as they have individual indemnity insurance to be able to practise.

Glad it was correctable for your sister in law!

I wonder what is happening with the kids born here who are adults, promised Thai ID's, have paid but still have not received them as asked for more payment a couple times +? Just saying I maybe heard something.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Then it just depends where your from and how high up, or low down the corruption meter your country is. I suppose this would not even make the news in Somalia.

This happens in the UK, Germany, Belgium, France, the Netherlands on a regular basis. Just look at payouts after enquiries with no consequences for those involved. They often even avoid answering the questions they are asked under oath. Reprehensible, but that's politics nowadays.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thaiger said:

adding that if the officer is found guilty, he will be punished accordingly.

No more bribing for a week for you. Next time, don't get caught.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, gummy said:

Of course the investigation will be transparent, ar'n't they all ?

I guess for some you have to explain that it is irony. I remember a discussion on this forum some users say there is no corruption and all is ok.

3 hours ago, Griff1315 said:

As I've stated on here before Thailand is institutionalized corrupt from the top to bottom. Its just an excepted thing that if you want anything done you need to stump up some tea money first. Or with one department its pay up if you want them to do nothing.

Yes unfortunately that’s the case in Thailand and many other countries around the world. It’s why Thailand will never progress beyond a middle income country. Things like education and health care can never be fixed when a country is so corrupt. I feel sorry for your average Thai. In western democracies we hardly give corruption a second thought. It goes on at some level and occasionally  there is a high profile case. But day to day for the vast majority, you don’t have to suffer it or think about it. I know many Thai families who have worked hard to send their kids to university and it all leads to virtually nothing. They don’t have the money to bribe their way in to a good job and so they remain trapped. Dreadful. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Yes unfortunately that’s the case in Thailand and many other countries around the world. It’s why Thailand will never progress beyond a middle income country. Things like education and health care can never be fixed when a country is so corrupt. I feel sorry for your average Thai. In western democracies we hardly give corruption a second thought. It goes on at some level and occasionally  there is a high profile case. But day to day for the vast majority, you don’t have to suffer it or think about it. I know many Thai families who have worked hard to send their kids to university and it all leads to virtually nothing. They don’t have the money to bribe their way in to a good job and so they remain trapped. Dreadful. 

It's the truth qualifications and abilities mean nothing. The applicant is expected to pay many times the amount of the actual salary on offer as a bribe to get the position.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Griff1315 said:

It's the truth qualifications and abilities mean nothing. The applicant is expected to pay many times the amount of the actual salary on offer as a bribe to get the position.

That is exactly why very few Thais have the acumen and skill sets to survive in the West unfortunately. Of course there are a few but when you are brought up in a state of indoctrinated nationalism that provides minmal opportunity to advance beyond the corrupt regimes and adminstrations that "is Thailand". Sad as it seems it would take 2 or possibly 3 generations to bring them up to world standards even if at a stroke you can get rid of those that are the cause of it continuing to be the home of the utterly depraved, greedy and corrupt with no thought for it's normal citizens.