News Forum - Torrential rain warning for Thailand as Tropical Storm Conson approaches

Thaiger

Batten down the hatches, there’s some heavy rainfall coming in the next 24 hours and most of the country will get it. The Thai Meteorological Department says the approach of Tropical Storm Conson means most regions are in for some very wet conditions. Conson is currently moving in a north-westerly direction, across the central Philippines, headed for Vietnam. Over the next 24 hours, there’s a 70% – 80% chance of rain across all parts of the country, with the exception of the South. The heavy rainfall is expected to continue until Monday of next week. According to a Bangkok Post […]

The post Torrential rain warning for Thailand as Tropical Storm Conson approaches appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"most regions are in for some very wet conditions"

Strange that as they are predicting heavy rainfall and I have noticed rain does generally mean wet conditions, still best warn folk I guess incase they didn't know rain could be wet. 😂

46 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Batten down the hatches, there’s some heavy rainfall coming in the next 24 hours and most of the country will get it. The Thai Meteorological Department says the approach of Tropical Storm Conson means most regions are in for some very wet conditions.

Not just Wet ….. but Very Wet ….. Folks in Pattaya better start building an ark.

• Haha 2

I just hope they have done a better job of managing the dams then in the past where a full dam releasing water met a huge storm and we saw how Bangkok flooded.  Hope for the best.

• Like 1

Just now, MikeW said:

Thai TV needs a weather channel a Thai version of Stephanie Abrams and Jim Cantore 

And somebody like Pamela Anderson or Jordan  in their younger days presenting it. Bit like seaweed it coud be.  Their jugs could come out when it is going to rain 😂

4 minutes ago, HappyExpat said:

This is Dong Tan Beach, the extension of Jomtien Beach, Wednesday morning:

And that was just from Wet …… not Very Wet …. Like I said, build an ark

• Like 3

We have just had serious heavy rain for the past hour, just slowing down now.

It was that heavy, the gutters could not cope, rain coming over the sides, water about a foot deep outside our gate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HappyExpat said:

This is Dong Tan Beach, the extension of Jomtien Beach, Wednesday morning:

oh fuck! dong tan beach2.jpg

oh fuck! dong tan beach.jpg

Jeeze, that does look like the apocalypse! Just steady rain started half-an-hour ago, here in NE Isan.

Stay safe!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Jeeze, that does look like the apocalypse! Just steady rain started half-an-hour ago, here in NE Isan.

Stay safe!

Same here and had about 1 hour of decent rain and since just drizzle.  Like the original news article suggested  I can confirm that the rain was very wet 😁

9 minutes ago, gummy said:

I can confirm that the rain was very wet 

Like with vaccines … I ask you, how did you prove it was very wet. What website backed your theory up? 🤣🤣🤣 

Chiang Mai had significant rain overnight and we'll likely get more tonight and tomorrow morning.  Our mooban, it's a large one, just completed their annual cleanout of all khlongs, drains and lakes 2 days ago.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Like with vaccines … I ask you, how did you prove it was very wet. What website backed your theory up? 🤣🤣🤣 

Well I just experimented no websites needed.  I went outside dry, when it started raining.  I had to do something and then I came in a while later with water dripping off me. My wife said look how wet you are. So as she is Thai, and hence know everything, I took here word and reported back that the rain was wet 😆

Iesus Christus, not more blasted rain!

Here in Nongbualamphu, over the last 2/3 weeks we've had many storms & torrential rain; & haven't been able to get my smalls dry...,,😂😂

ned flanders underwear GIF

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, gummy said:

I took here word and reported back that the rain was wet

But how did you determine that it was VERY wet? Did Buddha tell you?

1 minute ago, Faraday said:

Iesus Christus, not more blasted rain!

Here in Nongbualamphu, over the last 2/3 weeks we've had many storms & torrential rain; & haven't been able to get my smalls dry...,,😂😂

ned flanders underwear GIF

you mean you change them that often ? 😂

7 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

But how did you determine that it was VERY wet? Did Buddha tell you?

That's a good point, what is the reference data to define wet and very wet ? I did a search and found this

soaking/sopping/wringing wet (=very wet)

So based on that anything other than soaking/sopping/wringing wet must just be wet, rather than very wet. So guess my skin was simply wet, as it was none of those 3, yet my shirt was very wet. So I should have re-phrased my original comment to say some of the rain was wet ( that which landed on my skin) whilst some rain was very wet ( that which landed on my shirt making it sopping wet ). 

A lot of rain in Pattaya over the last couple of days. I didn't think the rain last night was that bad, but it rained a long time and there was enough of it to cause some major flooding this morning.

Naturally, Sukhumvit was flooded in the usual spots, but deeper than normal. A friend's restaurant neat the South Pattaya/Sukhumvit intersection is normally high enough to avoid the floods, but not this morning

Soi Batman was a lake over a meter deep. Even places with elevated floors and barricades got flooded. Same on Soi Buakhao. 
My friend sent a photo of the water running down the street past his bar where they rarely ever have any flooding problems.

The whole length of Buakhao and a good hunk of #3 road were strewn with garbage, as were a lot of the small sois on either side, with almost all the storm grates and drain hole covers plugged with an assortment of garbage, dirt, vegetation and building materials. (Lot of broken and small bricks and chunks of cement around different grates/drain covers.)

The restaurant to the left of the yellow VW had a couple inches of water on the floors this morning so you can imagine how deep the water was.
Untitled.thumb.png.dfbbac08cc219d67df0259c9f1b27c7a.png

1 hour ago, gummy said:

Well I just experimented no websites needed.  I went outside dry, when it started raining.  I had to do something and then I came in a while later with water dripping off me. My wife said look how wet you are. So as she is Thai, and hence know everything, I took here word and reported back that the rain was wet 😆

You were lucky if I came in dripping water on my wife's floor she would have run me back out of the house 

4 hours ago, gummy said:

"most regions are in for some very wet conditions"

Strange that as they are predicting heavy rainfall and I have noticed rain does generally mean wet conditions, still best warn folk I guess incase they didn't know rain could be wet. 😂

Yeah but but unfortunately for the Bar girls in Pattaya and else where, not the sort of wet they are looking for.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

We have just had serious heavy rain for the past hour, just slowing down now.

It was that heavy, the gutters could not cope, rain coming over the sides, water about a foot deep outside our gate.

That's only the tip of the iceberg.  The storm they're talking about is still a ways away, you can see it in this image from the Thai Meterological Department.

Typhoon Conson is directly over the middle of the Phils.

See that concentration under the red arrow?  That's another spinning cyclone...on it's way.

Typhoon Chantu.

radar.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

That's only the tip of the iceberg.  The storm they're talking about is still a ways away, you can see it in this image from the Thai Meterological Department.

See that concentration under the red arrow?  That's the spinning cyclone...on it's way.

radar.jpg

Conson is expected to track WNW and miss most of Thailand. A few days away anyway but not 24 hours.

Heavy rain yesterday in many parts as the photos show.