News Forum - Survey shows over half of Thai hotels are considering closing due to low demand

Thaiger

13 hours ago, Chaimai said:

Loads of people coming in through the Sandbox......no quarantine.

28,000 approximately, is not "loads of people", it's a drop in the ocean!

12 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Well, less than 500 a day on average. I wouldn't call that loads.

Exactly. Compared to around 27,000 per day pre-pandemic. It’s an embarrassing farce  

Hotel manager-"Oh Buddha, what am I going to do, the hotel is deeply in debt and I will likely lose my job"..

Somchai the Bellhop---Hey Boss why not just RAISE the prices of rooms, like all the other hotels do??

HM.."Somchai, you clever lad Im making you my marketing leader, gets masking tape and sharpie...

*how to succeed in thai business in the terms of thai logic*........foreclosure signs goes up in real world

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

I hope they can wait 1 more month. To quit it now, when it looks like the country will reopen again, would be not a good idea. 

Well they did push back BKK to november, while "safer" zone are aiming for OCT..

10 hours ago, Bob20 said:

Maybe it's just me, but why always the nonsensical number game?

It's unimaginable that I purchase 12m doses Sinovac, and not know exactly when they arrive.

Planning needs to be done now, so that they can be jabbed the next day.

I also don't understand why 8.5m tests are ordered. After many delays and not even knowing if they're any good, they will be tested after they arrive, losing more time. I'd have ordered 100 quickly many weeks ago, tested them already, and if they pass then order the 8.5m.

Why not a press conference? Say: Get ready for the next X weeks. We're not going to fiddle in the margins. Stay safe, don't spread the virus. By X date we will have 70-75% of the population fully vaccinated because on date X, Y and Z we're getting vaccines. Two weeks later we open the country. To everyone who is vaccinated and without extra rules.

It's the least risky and most simple way.

For every baht they plan to earn before then, they spend 2 baht in preparation and damage control for everything that goes wrong. Plus the small earnings never reach the people who need it most, so they may as well stay safe and wait a few weeks longer and then start with confidence.

People also need to understand that once they are vaccinated and the country opens up, the numbers of positive tests will shoot up, but the number of hospital admissions and deaths will reduce. And that most of the casualties will be the unvaccinated. So they need to ensure that everybody can get the jabs if they wish, and the ones that choose not to accept the risk.

Agree with what you say Bob but your forgetting about the government money trough being filled. Logical never works in Thailand and a plan must include certain kick back percentages.

14 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Except that not everybody is eligible for the sandbox, so many people would have to do ASQ. No choice. 

And 28k a month is loads, compared to what?

Phuket used to get 28k a day!!

Quite correct. Phuket got 6 million foreign tourists in 2019 (and 4 million Thai tourists). That's an average of 16,000 a day, and on the high season probably hitting over 25,000 a day.

Basically the Phuket sandbox has managed to attract about 3%-4% of the pre-Covid tourism. According to TAT, that's a success.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Did not TAT and the government anounced that the Sandbox was a fully success and each tourist spended over 700 000 baht a day according to their numbers?!

• Haha 1

So visitors from most of the traditional markets are pretty much forbidden from  overseas travel for leisure by their governments.

The airlines are operating very few passenger flights to thailand.

And the Thai government makes it as expensive and akward as possible for anybody to visit from anywhere.

And the hotels are hurting!

Who would have guessed!

• Like 1

On 9/8/2021 at 10:04 AM, EdwardV said:

4% in Samui, and 15% in Phuket is pretty brutal. No wonder they are begging for Thailand to drop so many requirements and costs. 

It puts all those wild TAT predictions and reports in a proper light, doesn't it?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Thommo said:

I would not think this is recent, Booked a hotel on agoda for songkran in Phuket ( 5 star beach front)  arrived at the hotel to fiind it closed

I've heard that a few times in Phuket