Brazil's president, Jair Bolsonaro, and his allies may be planning a military coup.

Andrew Reeve

531646628_Thaigernews.jpg.b594c60fb34c25bc9e86effd76eabba6.jpg

According to an influential coalition of former presidents, prime ministers, and leading public figures on the left, Brazil's president, Jair Bolsonaro, and his allies may be planning a military coup.

According to an open letter, Bolsonaro supporters' rallies, taking place on Tuesday constitute a threat to democracy and amount to an insurgency similar to Donald Trump supporters' attack on the US Capitol on January 6. They claim that the president supporters' country-wide have organized marches, against the Supreme Court and Congress, which include white supremacist groups, military police, and government employees at all levels, are "adding to concerns of a coup in the world's third largest democracy."

Former Spanish Prime Minister José Luis Rodriguez Zapatero, former Greek Finance Minister Yanis Varoufakis, former UK Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, former Paraguayan President Fernando Lugo, British Green MP Caroline Lucas, and Argentine Nobel Laureate and human rights activist Adolfo Pérez Esquivel are among the signatories.

They have pointed out on August 10, Bolsonaro “directed an extraordinary military parade through the capital city of Braslia, while his supporters in Congress pushed through substantial electoral reforms, that he says are needed before the presidential elections next year,” according to the report.

On August 21, the president stated that the marches were a "necessary countercoup" against Congress and the Supreme Court. In his letter, he claimed that Brazil's "communist constitution" had stripped him of his power, accusing "the court, the left, of plotting against him

The open letter states, “members of Congress in Brazil have been warned that the 7 September mobilization has been modelled on the insurgency at the US Capitol on 6 January 2021, when then-president Donald Trump encouraged his supporters to ‘stop the steal' by falsely alleging electoral fraud in the 2020 presidential election.

“We are deeply concerned about the looming threat to Brazil's democratic institutions, and we are prepared to defend them both before and after the 7th of September. Brazil's people have fought for decades to free themselves from military control. Bolsonaro must not be allowed to take it away from them now.

More than 5,000 police officers are expected to be deployed to protect Congress, amid fears that it would face the same fate as the US Capitol after Trump's defeat. Leftist leaders have asked their supporters to avoid violence by refraining from staging protests, while the US embassy has advised citizens to stay away.

Source:  The Guardian

• Angry 1

11 hours ago, Andrew Reeve said:

According to an influential coalition of former presidents, prime ministers, and leading public figures on the left

The last time such a distinguished group of leftist "intelligentsia" met, they concluded the Biden laptop was "Russian disinformation". An entirely incorrect judgement with no supporting evidence, which ultimately led to media misinforming the electorate who unwittingly chose(with some special help) a senile corrupt fool as POTUS who starting with Afghanistan, kicked into motion a chain of events that forever destabilized the world.

I think I will just ignore them again. Bolsonaro is a good lad.

Edited by TopDeadSenter
  • Like 1
  • Angry 1

35 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

I think I will just ignore them again. Bolsonaro is a good lad.

No, he's not.

I lived in Brasil three times, and am in fairly constant contact with friends, clients and students who still live in the country.

Bolsonaro has been a nightmare of nepotism, pulled back rights, government mismanagement and is single-handedly responsible for Brasil's incredibly poor response to the Covid epidemic which has allowed more people to die in Brasil than any other country, except the US, which has twice its population.

Bolsonaro has tipped his hat to the military since his time as a senator, because he was a former military officer who obviously believes in military over civilian rule.

It would be a tremendous step backwards for Brasil to fall under a military dictatorship again.

My thoughts and wishes go with my friends and my Brasilian family, that they don't have to suffer another brutal military government.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Andrew Reeve said:

On August 21, the president stated that the marches were a "necessary countercoup" against Congress and the Supreme Court. In his letter, he claimed that Brazil's "communist constitution" had stripped him of his power, accusing "the court, the left, of plotting against him

Clear symptoms of a paranoia .

I am not surprised about this , his former political decisions indicated a mental problem already .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrStretch said:

Bolsonaro has been a nightmare of nepotism, pulled back rights, government mismanagement

Well sounds like if you compared him to the leader in the USA Bolsonaro seems imminently qualified.  That is if the criteria is nepotism, pulled back rights, and government mismanagement 

• Like 1

Well I hope everyone enjoyed that little foray into writing stuff off topic. It has all been removed!

Let's at least try and make some effort to associate our comments to the topic. Be a nice change!

Thanks

• Like 1