News Forum - 25 arrested at Chiang Mai rooftop bar

Thaiger

A rooftop bar in Chiang Mai, a northern Thai province, was raided yesterday and 24 customers, plus the bar owner were arrested for allegedly gathering to drink alcoholic beverages, a violation of the emergency decree. Police say the 25 suspects were seen drinking alcohol and dancing to a band that was playing at the bar. The police add the suspects further disregarded provincial control measures by not wearing face masks or practising social distancing. The 25 suspects were taken to the Chang Puak Police station for further legal proceedings. Currently, the 24 bar patrons are charged with violating the order […]

The post 25 arrested at Chiang Mai rooftop bar appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

What a bunch of idiots, it is clowns like them that are helping spread covid.

Idiots have  a total disregard of orders in place to try stop the virus spreading, disgusting behaviour.

• Like 2

I remember a few bars over there ,you had to climb up a very small ladder thru some kind

of person hole to reach the rooftop.

There was reggae music and very chilled out happy people,i have no clue how i came down

from there!

Yes not smart to go drinking there at this time,i do however understand how people are starting

to feel about all this.

55 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

The police add the suspects further disregarded provincial control measures by not wearing face masks or practising social distancing.

This is what's going on at restaurants everywhere now since the "partial"  opening: people are sitting close together, and without mask simply because they're eating. Maybe alcohol would've made them sit a bit closer together, but I'm not sure that in particular would make any huge difference.

5 minutes ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

This is what's going on at restaurants everywhere now since the "partial"  opening: people are sitting close together, and without mask simply because they're eating. Maybe alcohol would've made them sit a bit closer together, but I'm not sure that in particular would make any huge difference.

Yes, its where do you draw the line . 

You can sit and eat with friends at 8 .50 PM , but you cannot sit and drink a beer with those same friends at the same table  at 9.10 PM

Seems to be more and more of CM people going out and have had just enough. Just get a good vaccine in here, mass vaccinate and open up CM to the locals who live here to drink and do what they want. Suppression is not the way coming from the stupidity of their overall plan of vaccine of the you know who, in the end it will just make the masses hate them more. 

8 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Seems to be more and more of CM people going out and have had just enough. Just get a good vaccine in here, mass vaccinate and open up CM to the locals who live here to drink and do what they want. Suppression is not the way coming from the stupidity of their overall plan of vaccine of the you know who, in the end it will just make the masses hate them more. 

So, first they set the date of 1 September.

But to open relatively safely, they must vaccinate minimum 70% of the total population. I say "relatively", because the idea behind it is "herd-immunity" which is not going to happen.

But at least with a high degree of vaccinations, the locals won't get seriously ill or die on a big scale.

Oops, then they realise they "forgot" to vaccinate the population (as they don't think beyond Bangkok), so they push the date back to 1 October. And start vaccinating.

But it's impossible to give 70% of the population 2 jabs before 1 October. And it certainly isn't possible to finish that by this week, as you're not adequately protected until 2-3 weeks after the second jab.

By then everything has been so misrepresented that nobody believes anything anymore. So they'll just go ahead and accept whatever fallout and personal misery comes from it.

No idea what they're doing, don't care enough about others and as long as it doesn't affect them personally all is fine!

• Like 1

If bars and alcohol are still prohibited why are some bars on Bangla road openly trading, lights on, doors open and plenty customers on view but police nowhere to be seen (maybe they are connected).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Graham said:

If bars and alcohol are still prohibited why are some bars on Bangla road openly trading, lights on, doors open and plenty customers on view

They are most probably registered as a restaurant, selling fizzy drink or juice in mugs or non see through cups. Maybe they registered themselves as a 7/11 as well.

Yes! Let's party!!! Surely we need to party our blues away?? Last year, young people weren't the target of the first strains of the virus. Yes, young people could get infected but the worse effects (critical illness and death) were reserved for the elderly. That was last year.... Not anymore! The Delta strain is (as worldwide experience shows), is much more transmissible and causes critical illness and death, right across the age spectrum. Thailand, like many countries, including my own, have an acute lack of supply of vaccines. Without the majority of the population vaccinated (that is 80% fully vaccinated...don't listen to the stats that say 80% one dose....that is so callously false security), we must adhere to the most strict guidelines until that time. So...party? Trying to get away with sneaky parties? How about don't party now so we can party fully later. 

• Like 1

NO,

In CM,, Can have Restaurant/Bar open if you serve alcohol in mugs and pay police.. The rooftop bar in the article is viewing distance from my apartment. Only young Thais frequent the place,,, probably wouldn't have drawn attention if they didn't "blast" the music..

Right on with the point that people here in Thailand only care about themselves now. Not an attractive place to live or work any more.

• Cool 1

In CM seeing more places selling alcohol and staying open till after 2am now.   

To get in after 8pm u need to know a "special knock" or send Line msg to someone inside or know where the buzzer is and look into the hidden camera to get in.    They couldn't stop alcohol during prohibition and won't stop it now.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

10 hours ago, Haole.TH said:

To get in after 8pm u need to know a "special knock" or send Line msg to someone inside or know where the buzzer is and look into the hidden camera to get in.    They couldn't stop alcohol during prohibition and won't stop it now.

Yes common sense has taught us some things not others.

10 hours ago, Haole.TH said:

Like the Havana Social Club, Bangkok, in normal times ... hardest part was finding the tiny soi and phone box, it was (is?) well hidden!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

Like the Havana Social Club, Bangkok, in normal times ... hardest part was finding the tiny soi and phone box, it was (is?) well hidden!

Or the Beer Garden in Soi7. Always open when others are closed for Buddha days. Amazing how these places operate. I recall being in Pattaya at the time when the late king passed away. For 24 hours it was difficult to get a beer, but just two days in to a weeks closure, a bar in full sight of the main police station on beach road was open and people drinking. 

5 hours ago, Soidog said:

For 24 hours it was difficult to get a beer, but just two days in to a weeks closure, a bar in full sight of the main police station on beach road was open and people drinking. 

Must have been nonalcoholic beer. Or was it the police station bar?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Must have been nonalcoholic beer. Or was it the police station bar?

I thought all police stations had bars.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Fluke said:
10 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

I thought all police stations had bars.

They are hidden down in the cells where most people don't go 

Oh, I thought cells was were all the charging was done for those caught committing assault and battery.