News Forum - Proof of vaccination to be required for dine-in service in “dark red” provinces

Thaiger

4 hours ago, Bob20 said:

Agreed.

With only 10% full vaccination they shouldn't even be thinking about opening up.

The sandbox should have been launched calling it what it really was for: Returnees.

With delta running rampant and the population only 10% partially protected (as some of the fully vaccinated don't even have protection against delta either) we should keep travel restrictions and keep the spread under control.

No significant numbers of tourists will come, and the numbers that do are too high a risk (moving around) to justify it under the circumstances. We complain about Songkran and the Hi-So's, yet they're doing it again!

We have lived like this for 18 months. We can do this 2-3 more months, get 75% of the population vaccinated urgently (if it's true that 100m doses are on the way) and prepare well for opening-up for real instead of with 1000 restrictions that still don't bring many customers. Then, when we open up completely, infection numbers will soar. But serious consequences and deaths will be lower.

All other options are wishful thinking, experimenting on the population with high risk and little reward.

I agree with you.

I myself have put things on hold as I have been for the last three months and see it is pointless going to Phuket in a lockdown situation when we are 100% free here to do as we please seeing over 75% are fully vaccinated.

I know of many others in my situation waiting to return to Thailand. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, shanghailoz said:

They do want a flight booking also for the yellow booklet (not a ticket).

BTW - I took that photo, as well as wrote how to get the booklet, so I should know ;)

Good you know :)   I have the yellow book so I guess I also know,  got it without showing any flight booking, just my experience

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Alavan said:

No it is not simple.
Under the QR code you can see the ID. In France they never checked the ID, but going to a footballgame at home I had also to show my ID-card.

Can we PLEASE establish which country we're talking about - WHOSE "QR code", WHERE  "going to a football game at home I had also to show my ID card" etc!!!

11 hours ago, Alavan said:

And around the QR code there is a moving line, so a foto of this won't have this moving line

Again, which country's code?

... and maybe you haven't heard of V-I-D-E-O!

14 hours ago, Bubbleboy said:

I believe they are going to need an extra staff  in some instances, just to check documents when a person arrives into the business.

11 hours ago, Bubbleboy said:

businesses will have to have one person checking everyone's ID which will be time consuming as well. 

Thailand is not Ontario.

A very few businesses such as 7-11, banks, Macro, Big 'C', and Lotus, and some of the town and city markets, had someone checking temperatures for a relatively short time then even they stopped.

It's simply never going to happen in a similar way in Thailand - not so much because of the social barriers or the ways round it, but because having had such a lean time for over a year restaurants, beauty salons, hairdressers, and later bars, are simply not going to turn customers away.

It simply won't happen and there's no possibility of more than lip-service being paid.

It's simply opening up with effectively no restrictions, but a ready-made excuse for when it all inevitably goes wrong.

• Cool 1

14 hours ago, dj230 said:

just wondering if it’s integrated in the app

It's not - you don't have the registration number required, nor does anyone not vaccinated in Thailand, which is one of the many reasons why the execution of this plan is so badly flawed.

10 hours ago, JackIsAGoodBoy said:

Resident Bob here fails to mention ...

Because, like all other posts opining about Covid generally, it has NOTHING to do with the topic.

Please have some respect for others who are interested in discussing the topic rather than just try to de-rail it.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Freeduhdumb said:

Why? What is the rationale? The vaccine doesn't prevent transmission. It supposedly helps the individual with symptoms only. right?

Very fair point, @Freeduhdumb, but maybe not quite the answer you were looking for.

The principle makes sense because if only the vaccinated are allowed entry to high transmission areas (crowds, indoors, unmasked, etc) then although they may well transmit the virus they'll only do so to others who are also vaccinated who are also less likely to die, have serious symptoms and be hospitalised, and so be a drain on the economy and the health service.

Where that argument falls down, though, is that it also excludes all those vaccinated abroad as well as all those who've had the virus.  They're not only likely to be far better protected, but given the numbers vaccinated here so far there are likely to be far more of them.

It's fair enough to do it where 70% or so have been vaccinated so you'll include most of those who've had the virus already, or even if the system allows for those who've already had the virus to be included, but the system here doesn't.

The principle's good, but the execution is appalling.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stonker said:

And just think of all the FREE MARKET business that will start up in Thailand. For example what has started in US … 

https://www.businessinsider.com/fake-vaccine-card-black-market-turns-to-telegram-2021-9

Remember when you required a medical certificate to travel, and were freely available for purchase in Thailand …. I too can see Appalling execution with this.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

5 hours ago, Stonker said:

Can we PLEASE establish which country we're talking about - WHOSE "QR code", WHERE  "going to a football game at home I had also to show my ID card" etc!!!

Again, which country's code?

... and maybe you haven't heard of V-I-D-E-O!

It is a common app for the whole of the EU and Switserland (I think also for Norway).
The QR code you installed in the country you reside can be used (and read) everywhere in the EU and Switserland.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alavan said:

It is a common app for the whole of the EU and Switserland (I think also for Norway).
The QR code you installed in the country you reside can be used (and read) everywhere in the EU and Switserland.

So you're not talking about the app in Thailand?

FFS!!!

Thailand, if you and others hadn't noticed, isn't in the EU or Canada! 😡 🥵

5 hours ago, Stonker said:

So you're not talking about the app in Thailand?

FFS!!!

Thailand, if you and others hadn't noticed, isn't in the EU or Canada! 😡 🥵

In my posts I mentionned that it was in France and a neighbouring country. I also mentionned in other posts that it was in the EU.
I just said that it could be done with a good rate of security and success.
Sorry, my world is a bit larger than Thailand.

Edited by Alavan
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Alavan said:

I just said that it could be done with a good rate of security and success

Indeed it can ... the problem is that here (and by "here" I mean Thailand) it's being done with very little possibility of either.

1 hour ago, Alavan said:

Sorry, my world is a bit larger than Thailand.

I'm sure your "world" is fascinating to some people, but it's hardly of interest here other than for comparisons.

13 hours ago, Stonker said:

Very fair point, @Freeduhdumb, but maybe not quite the answer you were looking for.

The principle makes sense because if only the vaccinated are allowed entry to high transmission areas (crowds, indoors, unmasked, etc) then although they may well transmit the virus they'll only do so to others who are also vaccinated who are also less likely to die, have serious symptoms and be hospitalised, and so be a drain on the economy and the health service.

Where that argument falls down, though, is that it also excludes all those vaccinated abroad as well as all those who've had the virus.  They're not only likely to be far better protected, but given the numbers vaccinated here so far there are likely to be far more of them.

It's fair enough to do it where 70% or so have been vaccinated so you'll include most of those who've had the virus already, or even if the system allows for those who've already had the virus to be included, but the system here doesn't.

Many countries, with many reputable physicians, and many reputable universities, are openly stating that herd immunity will not be achieved with such fast-mutating viruses. Basically, you would have to administers booster shots every few months. Not gonna happen. We do not have herd immunity to the common cold, or to ordinary flu, for the same reason. Why does this information travel so slowly? Society will have to move forward by simply protecting the elderly and the infirm.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Stonker said:

Thailand is not Ontario.

A very few businesses such as 7-11, banks, Macro, Big 'C', and Lotus, and some of the town and city markets, had someone checking temperatures for a relatively short time then even they stopped.

I never said it was, but what I was saying is if the vaccine passport comes out, they may need someone standing in the front checking everyone's documents if they want to strictly enforce it, whether it happens or not is another story.

3 hours ago, Stonker said:

I'm sure your "world" is fascinating to some people, but it's hardly of interest here other than for comparisons.

Well Thailand may end up like 'our world' and we are relaying the way it is in our countries with the vaccine passport, whether is happens in Thailand is another story.

15 hours ago, Stonker said:

It's simply never going to happen in a similar way in Thailand - not so much because of the social barriers or the ways round it, but because having had such a lean time for over a year restaurants, beauty salons, hairdressers, and later bars, are simply not going to turn customers away.

I did mention this somewhere that with low vaccination rates, there will be businesses closing. So, it doesn't make sense to do the vaccine passports with the fully vaccinated people at 10%. In fact, it is a death sentence for an already dying economy.

Edited by Bubbleboy

11 hours ago, Freeduhdumb said:

Many countries, with many reputable physicians, and many reputable universities, are openly stating that herd immunity will not be achieved with such fast-mutating viruses. Basically, you would have to administers booster shots every few months. Not gonna happen. We do not have herd immunity to the common cold, or to ordinary flu, for the same reason. Why does this information travel so slowly? Society will have to move forward by simply protecting the elderly and the infirm.

I've no idea why you've quoted me and then made an entirely different, unconnected point.

To reply to your point on herd immunity, though, I don't think that information's travelling slowly rather than that most people are now at the point where they just want to get on with their lives and they don't really care if that's down to herd immunity, vaccinated immunity, post-infection immunity or any combination as long as it works.

On 9/7/2021 at 12:24 AM, Bob20 said:

We have lived like this for 18 months. We can do this 2-3 more months,

You and I can, but can the broke ass Thais carry on like this another few months? I don't think so.

• Like 2

On 9/7/2021 at 11:41 PM, Stonker said:

I've no idea why you've quoted me and then made an entirely different, unconnected point.

To reply to your point on herd immunity, though, I don't think that information's travelling slowly rather than that most people are now at the point where they just want to get on with their lives and they don't really care if that's down to herd immunity, vaccinated immunity, post-infection immunity or any combination as long as it works.

I'm pretty no one really cares what you think. Just being forthright and candid. But it's fun to still spout our opinions here... Lol. It is useful to get a feel for the average human psyche in these forums. 

2 hours ago, Thommo said:

I guess this means my girlfried will have to stay outside of the resturant and watch me eat🤣

You'll be needing a new girlfriend! 🤣

• Haha 1