BBC Sounds App

WilliamG

Got it on my phone & PCs, works great, not needing a VPN for radio.

But recently Radio 5 Live constantly gives the message that 'due to rights restrictions etc, not available' but only on my Android phone. All other programmes are fine, as is R5Live on my PCs.

Any suggestions please.

12 minutes ago, shanghailoz said:

They've geolocked the content - you will need to use a VPN so that you appear to be in the UK on your phone.

And make sure "Location" is unticked on your phone also

53 minutes ago, shanghailoz said:

They've geolocked the content - you will need to use a VPN so that you appear to be in the UK on your phone.

You do not need a VPN for BBC Sounds, R2,3,&4 work perfectly, as did R5L previously. I thought it may be because of the Paralympics, but they're done with now. (Don't bother with R1 !)

The message says 'this SPORTS commentary is not available on this platform'. But R5L is as normal on PCs with or without VPN. Location on/off on my phone does not change things.

Edited by WilliamG

1 minute ago, WilliamG said:

You do not need a VPN for BBC Sounds, R2,3,&4 work perfectly, as did R5L previously. I thought it may be because of the Paralympics, but they're done with now. (Don't bother with R1 !)

If the error is: 'due to rights restrictions etc, not available' 

Then it is exactly what I wrote - geo restrictions.  A UK based VPN will solve that.

Not all their content is geo-restricted, mainly sports.

8 minutes ago, shanghailoz said:

If the error is: 'due to rights restrictions etc, not available' 

Then it is exactly what I wrote - geo restrictions.  A UK based VPN will solve that.

Not all their content is geo-restricted, mainly sports.

Express VPN does not solve it. I can get R5L on my PC without VPN, and BBC TV on all devices. It only R5L on Android which refuses to work. Strange eh?

R5 Live Sports Extra needs VPN on PCs, so it looks like the Sounds App on my phone is trying to go to R5L Sports instead of R5 Live normal. Tried uninstalling and re-installing Sounds, but no good. I'll have to carry on with LBC instead. Same old 5hit anyway!

Edited by WilliamG

8 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

Express VPN does not solve it. I can get R5L on my PC without VPN, and BBC TV on all devices. It only R5L on Android which refuses to work. Strange eh?

R5 Live Sports Extra needs VPN on PCs, so it looks like the Sounds App on my phone is trying to go to R5L Sports instead of R5 Live normal. Tried uninstalling and re-installing Sounds, but no good. I'll have to carry on with LBC instead. Same old 5hit anyway!

Different platforms can have different restrictions.

i.e. just because it works on your PC, doesn't mean they don't apply a geolock on your phone app (which appears to be the case here).

• Thanks 1