News Forum - More protests planned for Bangkok today as activists continue fight to remove PM

Thaiger

Anti-government protesters are planning another “car mob” rally in Bangkok today, as they continue their bid to remove the Thai PM from office. The Bangkok Post reports that yesterday, Red Shirt activist Nattawut Saikuar addressed a rally at the Asoke intersection in the capital, vowing to lead a bigger protest from the Ratchaprasong intersection to Asoke today. According to the Bangkok Post report, Nattawut is urging all those taking part to honk their horns as they drive by Asoke around 4pm. Nattawut has vowed to continue protests until the PM, Prayut Chan-o-cha resigns. Both he and fellow activist, Sombat Boonngamanong, […]

The post More protests planned for Bangkok today as activists continue fight to remove PM appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

3 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Nattawut has vowed to continue protests until the PM, Prayut Chan-o-cha resigns.

It's a complete change of gubmint that's needed, not a resignation.

• Like 1

It is nice to see groups of people out protesting, even during Covid times; it puts lie to the notion that the current government enjoys widespread popularity. That said, I truly don't understand why the protestors act as they do; short of a 'Bastille-like' storming of the battlements of Parliament, it isn't going to work.

In a country so fixated on money, why don't the protestors focus on economic targets? I am sure everyone will recall the disinvestment campaign against Apartheid in SA. American members of a certain advance age might recall that while Rosa Parks was truly a hero for her intransigence, it was the economic boycott of bus companies that really had an effect on the American South and their 'Jim Crow' laws. There are numerous, lesser-known economic campaigns that have occurred globally to quite good success; Chile, Nestle, MLB/Professional sports in the US, etc.

I am not sure exactly who among the business elite are the prime supporters of the current government, but I am sure that it is known. Why don't the protestors target those companies? Economic boycott, in a society that values money so much, is a powerful tool. Further it has never been easier to organize a campaign like that in the days of Social Media; a person can reach huge numbers almost immediately. Finally, it is guaranteed that it would be noticed immediately; a 15 minute 'Flash Mob' or 'Picket Line' blocking a company entrance from 8:45 to 9:00 AM would be headline news. A 10 minute 'Flash Mob' or 'Picket Line' blocking MacDonald's at 12:00 would be all over Social Media by 1:00 PM. A public boycott campaign against a product would go viral pretty quickly; why do people still buy 'Red Bull? Why not have an anti-corruption campaign featuring the company? Give a company a swift kick in the bottom line and they will notice!

I am a great fan of protests and protestors, but rather than street fights and 'car mobs', they should try an economic focus; I am certain it would wake a few people up and is much more likely to create good outcomes.

PS Mods, I posted this in another thread (17 protest leaders...), but it really belongs here. I am not familiar with the rules, but feel free to delete one of them if needed. Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

They are wasting their time and energy against a rigged system he can't lose and if he goes the system is like a hydra if you cut off one head another takes its place. If they want change they need to get the whole country to be on their side and good luck with that

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Boddown said:

They are wasting their time and energy against a rigged system he can't lose and if he goes the system is like a hydra if you cut off one head another takes its place. If they want change they need to get the whole country to be on their side and good luck with that

Fair and valid comment there.   And sorry I missed your debut post, the other day, but thanks for that!

Hello, Boddown and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.       https://thethaiger.com/forum-guidelines-and-rules

Happy posting

King Cotton

There is no denying that Prayut is a dictator and Thailand is governed by a corrupt and self serving elite. But in light of the authoritarian measures been taken by so called "democratic" governments around the world he doesn't really look that different.

On 9/6/2021 at 10:11 AM, Boddown said:

I think you should look more into the history of Thailand, then you would know it was not the first coup and they got rid of them before. But the aftermath should be then how to get rid of this evil circle of coups in the future!

On 9/6/2021 at 9:29 AM, Shade_Wilder said:
It is nice to see groups of people out protesting, even during Covid times; it puts lie to the notion that the current government enjoys widespread popularity. That said, I truly don't understand why the protestors act as they do; short of a 'Bastille-like' storming of the battlements of Parliament, it isn't going to work.

In a country so fixated on money, why don't the protestors focus on economic targets? I am sure everyone will recall the disinvestment campaign against Apartheid in SA. American members of a certain advance age might recall that while Rosa Parks was truly a hero for her intransigence, it was the economic boycott of bus companies that really had an effect on the American South and their 'Jim Crow' laws. There are numerous, lesser-known economic campaigns that have occurred globally to quite good success; Chile, Nestle, MLB/Professional sports in the US, etc.

I am not sure exactly who among the business elite are the prime supporters of the current government, but I am sure that it is known. Why don't the protestors target those companies? Economic boycott, in a society that values money so much, is a powerful tool. Further it has never been easier to organize a campaign like that in the days of Social Media; a person can reach huge numbers almost immediately. Finally, it is guaranteed that it would be noticed immediately; a 15 minute 'Flash Mob' or 'Picket Line' blocking a company entrance from 8:45 to 9:00 AM would be headline news. A 10 minute 'Flash Mob' or 'Picket Line' blocking MacDonald's at 12:00 would be all over Social Media by 1:00 PM. A public boycott campaign against a product would go viral pretty quickly; why do people still buy 'Red Bull? Why not have an anti-corruption campaign featuring the company? Give a company a swift kick in the bottom line and they will notice!

I am a great fan of protests and protestors, but rather than street fights and 'car mobs', they should try an economic focus; I am certain it would wake a few people up and is much more likely to create good outcomes.

PS Mods, I posted this in another thread (17 protest leaders...), but it really belongs here. I am not familiar with the rules, but feel free to delete one of them if needed. Cheers

Good post, but there are also groups who bring the economic point you suggested. It can be misleading to think all protests are one group because there are many different groups who are protesting on different protest sides and often on the same day. There are days with up to 4 protest areas in Bangkok with different political views but what they have in common is to oust this government and bring back the democracy. You can see even former yellow shirts there or former pdrc supporter. So it is a wide field and more complex. So if you read from one protest and their way or opinion then it is from this group but not as a whole from all the protests and groups to get the right picture.