Hobbies

colinneil

Anybody besides me got  a growing veg habit?

These gourds were picked yesterday from 1 plant, so far 13 from it.

Looks like gourds for almost every meal for a few weeks, ha, ha.

240580455_445674149973798_7050986275668042937_n.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Anybody besides me got  a growing veg habit?

These gourds were picked yesterday from 1 plant, so far 13 from it.

Looks like gourds for almost every meal for a few weeks, ha, ha.

240580455_445674149973798_7050986275668042937_n.jpg

The what? Gords? Never 'eard of them. I only know Birds Eye frozen peas.
Looks like you've lost some weight.

Just now, Bluesofa said:

The what? Gords? Never 'eard of them. I only know Birds Eye frozen peas.
Looks like you've lost some weight.

Never heard of gourds, and you live in Thailand?

Ask your missus, Thais love them, we  eat them regularly, had some roasted last night.

Also, are you being your normal sarcastic self, saying looks like i have lost weight?

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Also, are you being your normal sarcastic self, saying looks like i have lost weight?

I agree with him, you look like an Adonis.

• Haha 3

Anyway, back on topic...

Yup, love growing vegetables, especially Tomatoes which we'll be starting next month.

Tried growing some spuds last year, they turned out ok, so this year I'll put a load more in.

Freshly dug potatoes.... awesome taste.

🥔 🍅

• Like 2

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Never heard of gourds, and you live in Thailand?

Ask your missus, Thais love them, we  eat them regularly, had some roasted last night.

Sarcastic? Moi?

• Haha 4

I have been 'brewing' sauerkraut for the last six months.  Six pounds of ray shredded cabbage a week fermented for three to four weeks...its a gas

Edited by King Cotton
Removal of attachment at member's request.

On 9/6/2021 at 1:06 PM, BainaiThai said:

I have been 'brewing' sauerkraut for the last six months.  Six pounds of ray shredded cabbage a week fermented for three to four weeks...its a gas

Yeah i bet it is🤣Confetti Fart GIF by Kobie

• Haha 3

On 9/5/2021 at 11:06 PM, BainaiThai said:

Three to four weeks!!! Jeez! How can you live with the smell that long?

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...

Concerning 'Kraut' : Has anybody you know ever tried out with the Cabbage- & Mustard-relative which the Chinese call 'February Orchid' - or Orychophragmus violaceus in Latin & 'Chinese Violet Cress' in English, in Thai gardens ?  It is supposed to be the most nutritious of all members of the Cabbage Family...and is even a "good looker" which can be grown as an ornamental plant, apparently ?

And then I wonder whether you Thai gardeners have ever wanted to start to breed your very own type of 'TROPICALLY ADAPTED & HEAT-RESISTANT THAI GARDEN ROSE' ?  Because only yesterday I discovered that the only known 'Proper Tropical Rose' - which the botanists call Rosa clinophylla (or sometimes Rosa involucrata) - has actually been discovered growing wild in both your northern  Chiang Rai Province - where it is known locally as 'Nam Kam Hai' - and then also over in your E and SE Nakhon Phanom and Ubon Ratchatani Provinces of Thailand,- where it then is known as 'Khonta Nam', locally.

And this particular, wild Rose is apparently the ONLY KNOWN ROSE TRULY ADAPTED TO TROPICAL CLIMATE CONDITIONS, and in Thailand is only found at low altitudes, of 200 and 400 m. And then this particular Rose has even adapted to thrive under SEMI-AQUATIC CONDITIONS, and in its Indian haunts typically has been found growing out in rice-fields, with only its top-branches sticking out of the water.  Then this Rose may vary a bit in nature, but in some forms occur naturally as a small shrub of only about 1 m., and with a single, rather big, white and sweet-smelling flower produced on top of each stem...and thus perfect seem to show the perfect qualities to start hybridization-experiments to create 'The New, Tropical, Thai Garden-rose', I now dare to suggest : Or...what do YOU think, 'Over There' - ?!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DANE said:

Because only yesterday I discovered that the only known 'Proper Tropical Rose' - which the botanists call Rosa clinophylla (or sometimes Rosa involucrata) - has actually been discovered growing wild

Very detailed post there Dane, thank you, I didn’t know any of that. 

Apparently it grows in a shrub up to 6 meters high 😲

IMG_0129.thumb.jpeg.e0d060554cfddaaac4c64128ca5aa511.jpeg

Thank you to 'Big Hewer' for the nice Rose-photo !  And then I note that a great Rose-enthusiast - Mr. M. S. 'Viru' Viraghavan, over in India - has already started up his pioneering , new "Free Style Tropical Rose-breeding Program" with using both the genes of the local Indian (Manipur) type of Rosa clinophylla, as well as the genes of this mysterious & little-known 'Jungle-liana Rose', called Rosa gigantea,- which also is found naturally occurring in Thailand, though at much higher altitudes than R. clinophylla, up in the mountain forests of the Chiang Mai Province.

And then a little-known historical fact about this Rosa clinophylla is that it is also believed to have been one of the parents of, perhaps, THE most extraordinary and mystery-shrouded of all 'Historical Rose-hybrids' : A Rose called 'Rosa X 'Hardyi' !

Because back in the the early 1830's, a famous Paris Rose-breeder, Monsieur Hardy, according to legend had managed to cultivate together both this super-rare, S.E. Asian Rosa clinophylla, as well as the similarly super-rare, Central Asian Rose, called Rosa - or Hulthemia - persica in his Paris-garden,- and then even managed to raise this extraordinary and beautiful Rosa X 'Hardyi' from hybridizing these two Roses. And Rosa (Hulthemia) persica - which actually looks to be "An Old, Relict Ancestor of All Modern Rose-species" - has now surprisingly started to enter into 'Modern Rose-breeding', as it brings with it both huge heat- and drought-resistance, together with the genes to produce LARGE YELLOW FLOWERS WITH A RED "EYE".  

Then I don't know if Mr. Viraghavan over in India have thought of trying to use this Rosa X 'Hardyi' to start produce some new "Free Style" tropical Rose-hybrids with nice golden & 'red-eyed' flowers...but do feel free to try out producing such Roses yourselves in Thailand, if you happen to get the chance...(!!)

Well,- and then back with this 'Chinese Violet Cress' which I mentioned,- it TOO looks to be 'An Old Relict Ancestor' - in this case, of both the modern Cabbages and the Mustarts' - and apparently you are now easily able to raise hybrids between this Orychophragmus and these Cabbages & Mustarts.  And then I'm amazed when I read about, how useful this little-known & grown 'Violet Cress' seems to be, by containing these new, unique types of vegetable oil which are heavy enough to oil metal machinery, are extremely nourishing as food, makes for a wonderful 'Energy-crop', - and then the plant even seem to have medicinal properties able to counteract certain types of liver-diseases, and so can be used medically, too. And...besides which you even may grow this plant just as 'A Garden Ornamental'...in case you happen to be interested...?

• Like 1

NB. : I note that you are interested in growing TOMATOES,- and then I wonder whether any of you have attempted to grow the 'TREE TOMATO' - or 'Tamarillo' - in your Thai gardens : Apparently, these Tamarillos are widely grown in India, but I can't find out whether they are known & grown in Thailand and S.E. Asia, too ?!

And then I have wondered about PERILLA, lately : The Mint-relative which you call 'Nga-mon' in Thailand, and wondered whether your local Thai edition of this Perilla may prove to be different from the type grown in Korea & Japan, perhaps ?

Well,- and then the Koreans have started using Perilla-leaves as a spicy meat-wrapping when cooking their dishes. And...now I can't help wonder whether you may use your nga-mon leaves the same way in Thailand... and, if so, whether you TOO have ended up with a Thai edition of 'THE PERILLA-LEAF DEBATE' which now goes on in Korea...?!

Had a pineapple plant for a couple of years. Don't really know anything about them. It has, however, already given two fruits. Is there a limit? Can't see any sign of another pineapple growth. Water it every few days.

pinegrow.jpg.fe79fb1192ef8ecd74aebfce9eeb56e2.jpg

• Like 1

Dear Snapdragon :

If your Pineapple won't thrive & fruit,- perhaps you should start read & enjoy James Mitchener's 'Hawaii' for inspiration...and then you might end up using old scrap-iron - dissolved in acid - to solve your 'Pineapple-problem', too...?