News Forum - Phuket Sandbox draws 28,000 travellers, 1.634 billion baht

Thaiger

8 hours ago, EdwardV said:

It might not be until November of 2022. China has their once every 5 year CCP meeting in October of next year. The same meeting Pooh expects to be voted in for a third term. There is no way they let anything risk bad headlines before that. Way to easy to just keep everyone locked down for a few extra months. 

My feeling too. Mid 2022 is hopeful on the part of airline operations and tourism stakeholders.  Friends of mine elsewhere still see many wealthy Chinese making escape plan investments. I imagine dear China will want to keep as much money flowing domestically for as long as possible to fuel the precarious recovery. The authoritarianism has increased in tempo suddenly across many facets of life and controlling travel well into the future would hardly be the worst of it.

11 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The Phuket Sandbox has been lauded as a success and derided as a failure, but officials have released some raw data over the past few days that indicates the programme falls somewhere in between. Immigration and the Tourism Authority of Thailand have reported on total incoming travellers and their opinions, and the Economics Tourism and Sports Division of the Tourism and Sports Ministry calculated revenue generated by the Phuket Sandbox. Immigration has released official arrival numbers stating that since the Phuket Sandbox launched on July 1, a total of 28,197 international travellers have arrived on the island. About one-third of those […]

The post Phuket Sandbox draws 28,000 travellers, 1.634 billion baht appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

This is the opposite of info I just read minutes before. According to the operators the Sandbox cannot survive and is the opposite of a success!

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/2176819/phuket-sours-on-sandbox

Is Thaiger using TAT and government propaganda as a source?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Is Thaiger using TAT and government propaganda as a source?

The Thaiger is an unrelenting proponent of The Sandbox, doing its best to only show the "positive" and not the "reality".

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

The Thaiger is an unrelenting proponent of The Sandbox, doing its best to only show the "positive" and not the "reality".

Like on the 571 visitors (Koh Samui Sandbox) on 3 Island in july and August as a success? So what is positiv if they cannot cover operating costs and fuel? Minus is less than zero! And do they think all readers are stupid and cannot count? Maybe I have to dine in also magic mushrooms to understand that better.

2 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Like on the 571 visitors (Koh Samui Sandbox) on 3 Island in july and August as a success? So what is positiv if they cannot cover operating costs and fuel? Minus is less than zero! And do they think all readers are stupid and cannot count? Maybe I have to dine in also magic mushrooms to understand that better.

This may help 😂

https://www.magic-mushrooms-shop.com/en/photos-growkits-mushrooms

43 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Yet they are claiming Million of THB earned for the Samui Sandbox and almost 2 Billion Thb for the 2 months of the Phuket Sandbox.

• Cool 1

12 hours ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Not only is it a tourist destination, a medical one as well generating (making a profit?) 229 million baht off 28,000 visitors.

229 million is on average  8178. 57143 bhat each tourist 

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yet they are claiming Million of THB earned for the Samui Sandbox and almost 2 Billion Thb for the 2 months of the Phuket Sandbox.

Yes the clowns of the TAT but not the operators. TAT and government anouncements is from another universe and counting where 1+1 can be 3 billion or as wished. You need magic mushrooms to see this pink universe they are talking about.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Egypte said:

If the numbers are correct only rich tourist came for Phuket SandBox,

they spent 750 000 THB every day for 2 months !!!

It's that Thai maths again . . . has us all reaching for the calculator!  And your debut post, too, so thanks for that!

Hello, Egypte and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.       https://thethaiger.com/forum-guidelines-and-rules

Happy posting

King Cotton

46 minutes ago, Tommi said:

1.6B divided by 28000 would be 57,000 baht per person total. Am I missing something ?

Clearly not your average, man-in-the-street, Sandboxers.   And your debut post, too, so thanks for that!

Hello, Tommi 

and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.       https://thethaiger.com/forum-guidelines-and-rules

Happy posting

King Cotton

9 hours ago, Ordinarybloke said:

How are they calculating the money spent, are they going round to all the street food venders and ladies of the night and requesting daily figures?

Yes, you may well wonder re their calculating MO.  And your debut post, too . . . many thanks for that!

Hello, Ordinarybloke and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Happy posting

King Cotton

As long as fully vaccinated tourists need to pass 3 tests with total amount of thb 8,000 and as long as COE application requires so much bureaucratic paperwork Phuket sandbox model will not help Thailand tourism in its required comeback.

At the end...believe me...a lot of disappointment and frustration will be the result.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tommi said:

1.6B divided by 28000 would be 57,000 baht per person total. Am I missing something ?

It's possible depending on how long they stayed. Hotels food the covid test transportation. 

5 hours ago, MikeforKrabi said:

As long as fully vaccinated tourists need to pass 3 tests with total amount of thb 8,000 and as long as COE application requires so much bureaucratic paperwork Phuket sandbox model will not help Thailand tourism in its required comeback.

At the end...believe me...a lot of disappointment and frustration will be the result.

Sadly, one of the most widely-held views on the forum.  Less sad, though, is that it's your debut post, so thanks for that!

Hello, MikeforKrabi and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Happy posting

King Cotton

20 hours ago, Ordinarybloke said:

How are they calculating the money spent, are they going round to all the street food venders and ladies of the night and requesting daily figures?

They are using a well known method developed in Thailand over many years. It has gained an international reputation. The equation is basically this:

Think of a number (T) X 2. Ask your boss (B) what he thinks and multiply by what he decides. Account for loss of face so Multiply by 2

Money spent  = Tx2xBx2  

• Haha 3

We know that the average monthly number of people prepared to accept all the hoops and paperwork is around the 15,000 mark. 14,000 in Phuket and 1,000 in ASQ Bangkok. This number is more likely to go down in future months as those who needed to come back are already back. Discounting this inconvenient truth, and assuming it’s still 15,000 people per month prepared to tolerate this nonsense, the 15,000 will be spread across multiple locations. It’s odd that we no longer see daily ASQ figures published since the Phuket sandbox opened. I’m sure when Pattaya and other locations open, we will stop seeing Phuket sandbox numbers. As the saying goes- “You can try to fool all of the people all of the time, but not all of the people believe you”!!

• Like 1

I've sometimes wondered how tat come up with such precise numbers about everything and often in a fairly short time period.

I've visited tat's main office in bangkok a few times over the years and when I've been in there everybody seems to be sitting about doing nothing except checking their hand phones.

I genuinely wonder if they use a dartboard to come up with whatever statistic it Is they are after.

39 minutes ago, Cathat said:

I genuinely wonder if they use a dartboard to come up with whatever statistic it Is they are after.

Probably do, but never mind, it keeps up the illusion that Thailand's 'doing well' 

darts win GIF