News Forum - Over 7,000 travellers fly following easing of restrictions

Thaiger

18 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Yeah and the cold to winter is fast coming there with the all so many American lunatics running around like a headless angry chicken. Good luck on getting here by the best safest way that protects everyone possible.

Yesterday we got the black news that the glorious b-turds have graciously allocated about 29,000 Sinobunk jabs to the good healthy people of CM, and then a trivial some (not sure how many) of Sinopharm for the over 60 and ones that have existing health problems. Doesn't get any better on that note telling you how CM is doing and vulnerable. My kids and wife opt to say no and hold out as most will say and try to do. 29,000 doesn't even dent the CM province population by a long shot anyway even if it was a good vaccine.

Yep, your run from DC to here is one seriously long arse kicking journey to get here. I normally came from Ca and that is long enough, but with yours I would think would for you coming from DC to LAX adds or can add an additional 5 or so hours depending how you time it. 

Hope something good turns up and you can get back in to stay here without so much money going out or hoops to jump. 

yep a direct from east to west US is under 6 hrs...sometimes a layover..I aim for the lowest cost flights but a bit of reliability and southwest works pretty well for direct flights and cost-even tho I hate the open seating as I tend to be last one on...(middle seat) but my big one is the jump across the pond from LAX...so Ive come to use EVA air..nice service-reliable...and they have red eyes from LAX after midnight, so Im kinda tired by then from flight #1...EVA then feeds u and I get some wine(full and boozy)..pop some advil pm and add earplugs and facemask and after that is late and tend to dope out for the pacific long haul.....

Wake up pretty rested in Taiwan for maybe 3 hrs..nice airport and can get free showers!!! so i grab one which helps after a long haul in small seat...feeling excited to be close to BKK etc...quick jump to BKK-get thru IMMIG--maybe swap money--hit 7-11 in basement and then jump direct to CNX on vietjet..even had friends drop off my motobike at airport as I have a key as do they and Im off to head to my old apt..

go buy a 2nd hand bike from a thai lady who sells them from her house and im back on track in LOS...sell the bike when I leave and give my buddy a bottle of booze for holding my old honda at his house.....

lather-rinse-repeat since 2008....all in all ive kept the price since 2008 around 600 one way from A to B...

Typically a one way from LAX to BKK is $500 usd  Eva air...has become my pick of airlines

$30 usd Bkk to CNX Vietjet and $100-150usd from DC to LAX   so whole trip one way 600-650 usd

Not bad for one side of the planet to the other..sure is cheaper than my monthly rent here in states..

8 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

yep a direct from east to west US is under 6 hrs...sometimes a layover..I aim for the lowest cost flights but a bit of reliability and southwest works pretty well for direct flights and cost-even tho I hate the open seating as I tend to be last one on...(middle seat) but my big one is the jump across the pond from LAX...so Ive come to use EVA air..nice service-reliable...and they have red eyes from LAX after midnight, so Im kinda tired by then from flight #1...EVA then feeds u and I get some wine(full and boozy)..pop some advil pm and add earplugs and facemask and after that is late and tend to dope out for the pacific long haul.....

Wake up pretty rested in Taiwan for maybe 3 hrs..nice airport and can get free showers!!! so i grab one which helps after a long haul in small seat...feeling excited to be close to BKK etc...quick jump to BKK-get thru IMMIG--maybe swap money--hit 7-11 in basement and then jump direct to CNX on vietjet..even had friends drop off my motobike at airport as I have a key as do they and Im off to head to my old apt..

go buy a 2nd hand bike from a thai lady who sells them from her house and im back on track in LOS...sell the bike when I leave and give my buddy a bottle of booze for holding my old honda at his house.....

lather-rinse-repeat since 2008....all in all ive kept the price since 2008 around 600 one way from A to B...

EVA is great. Their first class is wonderful, but even economy as I normally fly and is A-OK. Stewardesses not so bad to look at as well.  If you do fly soon you will probably now have an entire row to yourself to sleep. so that is probably going to be an extra extra perk.

14 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

EVA is great. Their first class is wonderful, but even economy as I normally fly and is A-OK. Stewardesses not so bad to look at as well.  If you do fly soon you will probably now have an entire row to yourself to sleep. so that is probably going to be an extra extra perk.

I did the whole row once but wasnt the LAX-TPE long haul where Id really be lucky as I just wanna sleep laying down...Id even sleep on the floor if they let me....1st class, I wish I could afford that! I did try to slip in once as Im always last on the plane to scope the open seats....I am usually able to get the exit seat if I ask really nice and say i have 6 airports and Im a tall fella..and Hansum!??....works most of the time as now they are charging extra for the exit seats for leg room...only problem is the other folks wanna hang out in the open space..i had one lady doing here stretches right in front of me....then u get the teeth fanatics after a meal as they all line up after meals to brush their teeth, so can get annoying but nice to score that exit seat..

Anyhoo last one on and they were rushing me on the plane and sent me thru 1st class door! So im last on and see all these empty seats in 1st, so the little rascal inside says "go for it"..I stashed my pack and slipped in a seat...(nervous),,got a newspaper(opens and hides behind it)..then comes the hot towel(ahhh-nice)..then a champagne!....lets go..move this plane!...looks around over paper and sees crew checking list(yikes)....then she comes over and asks me for tix..(dangit)..I play coy and said oh I thought is was open seating-etc as I was last on..i smile--she does too...the gig is up..shes prob done this many times..I get up and grab my pack as the hiso folks give me the evil eye as I do the walk of shame as coach gawkers all stare me down..one of us..one of us!....well I always wondered if I could pull it off...i just wanted to be able to lay down and sleep..oh well..

Maybe we were on an EVA flight together..fighting over the armrest....and yes many cuties on EVA crew  :)

7 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

I did the whole row once but wasnt the LAX-TPE long haul where Id really be lucky as I just wanna sleep laying down...Id even sleep on the floor if they let me....1st class, I wish I could afford that! I did try to slip in once as Im always last on the plane to scope the open seats....I am usually able to get the exit seat if I ask really nice and say i have 6 airports and Im a tall fella..and Hansum!??....works most of the time as now they are charging extra for the exit seats for leg room...only problem is the other folks wanna hang out in the open space..i had one lady doing here stretches right in front of me....then u get the teeth fanatics after a meal as they all line up after meals to brush their teeth, so can get annoying but nice to score that exit seat..

Anyhoo last one on and they were rushing me on the plane and sent me thru 1st class door! So im last on and see all these empty seats in 1st, so the little rascal inside says "go for it"..I stashed my pack and slipped in a seat...(nervous),,got a newspaper(opens and hides behind it)..then comes the hot towel(ahhh-nice)..then a champagne!....lets go..move this plane!...looks around over paper and sees crew checking list(yikes)....then she comes over and asks me for tix..(dangit)..I play coy and said oh I thought is was open seating-etc as I was last on..i smile--she does too...the gig is up..shes prob done this many times..I get up and grab my pack as the hiso folks give me the evil eye as I do the walk of shame as coach gawkers all stare me down..one of us..one of us!....well I always wondered if I could pull it off...i just wanted to be able to lay down and sleep..oh well..

Maybe we were on an EVA flight together..fighting over the armrest....and yes many cuties on EVA crew  :)

EVA is still very nice anyway you go unless full and has Asian tour groups yacking away. You would have to be a frequent flyer and the ticket person really takes a liking to you to give you an upgrade. Actually I flew and fly business class as is cheapest and same same in seating. For your next trip I would be 90% sure you will have a whole row to yourself. For the exit seat you are talking about, no thanks, been there done that and as you stated everything that goes on. I get rather infuriated and also I do not like the tray coming out of the seat. Best to take an isle seat and hang you legs out that way. Arm rests have rules. Middle seat gets both and you on either end have the one. Yes, the stewardesses can be quite beautiful and you land in the country of Taiwan not Hong Kong where security is a little over t he top.

16 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

EVA is still very nice anyway you go unless full and has Asian tour groups yacking away. You would have to be a frequent flyer and the ticket person really takes a liking to you to give you an upgrade. Actually I flew and fly business class as is cheapest and same same in seating. For your next trip I would be 90% sure you will have a whole row to yourself. For the exit seat you are talking about, no thanks, been there done that and as you stated everything that goes on. I get rather infuriated and also I do not like the tray coming out of the seat. Best to take an isle seat and hang you legs out that way. Arm rests have rules. Middle seat gets both and you on either end have the one. Yes, the stewardesses can be quite beautiful and you land in the country of Taiwan not Hong Kong where security is a little over t he top.

my main goal for the exit is quick access to get up and the LEFT seat so can lean my head to sleep, also the usual murphys law of whoever would be sitting in front of me would push their seat back right onto my knees....as if I cant get a exit seat I book the window seat to lean my head on window with my pillow but then trapped in that seat for 12 hrs as everyones sleeps and the chair in front of me has got me locked in.

TPE has a really nice airport and like the hello kitty lounge! 555  and the free showers are a godsend....and yes I try to be as charming as I can when it comes to trying to get that exit seat which is no longer "free"..nothing finer than a nice looking asian woman dressed up that speaks multiple languages..and i like the little treats..earplugs..masks..pillows..slippers..fancy items in bathroom and the meals are decent too, as I just peeked to see if they are flying and its the usual one way red eyes from LAX to BKK for 505 usd...red eye means LESS yakking people and they darken cabin..is peaceful and quiet to try and get some sort of "sleep"

5 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

my main goal for the exit is quick access to get up and the LEFT seat so can lean my head to sleep, also the usual murphys law of whoever would be sitting in front of me would push their seat back right onto my knees....as if I cant get a exit seat I book the window seat to lean my head on window with my pillow but then trapped in that seat for 12 hrs as everyones sleeps and the chair in front of me has got me locked in.

TPE has a really nice airport and like the hello kitty lounge! 555  and the free showers are a godsend....and yes I try to be as charming as I can when it comes to trying to get that exit seat which is no longer "free"..nothing finer than a nice looking asian woman dressed up that speaks multiple languages..and i like the little treats..earplugs..masks..pillows..slippers..fancy items in bathroom and the meals are decent too, as I just peeked to see if they are flying and its the usual one way red eyes from LAX to BKK for 505 usd...red eye means LESS yakking people and they darken cabin..is peaceful and quiet to try and get some sort of "sleep"

All my last many of flights were all night flights. For me if in economy it is always isle as I want the control. Seats can go down after everything is set up for settle down and sleep mode. If they do it just after take off or before food is served then I knock the back of their seat and then will motion to the stewardess to tell them to bring it fully back upright. That is the basic courtesy inflight rule until food is finished and lights are down.. Yes, EVA has nice bathrooms for sure with the amenities. For you and the long haul from DC area, a shower is probably nice, but for me before coming from SF area I just push through till the trip is over as isn't that bad. $505 is a really low priced ticket and well worth it as long as your layover is not prolonged.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

All my last many of flights were all night flights. For me if in economy it is always isle as I want the control. Seats can go down after everything is set up for settle down and sleep mode. If they do it just after take off or before food is served then I knock the back of their seat and then will motion to the stewardess to tell them to bring it fully back upright. That is the basic courtesy inflight rule until food is finished and lights are down.. Yes, EVA has nice bathrooms for sure with the amenities. For you and the long haul from DC area, a shower is probably nice, but for me before coming from SF area I just push through till the trip is over as isn't that bad. $505 is a really low priced ticket and well worth it as long as your layover is not prolonged.

I did get the isle on last trip as exit was full and no windows left as I pick my seat at airport..just like to have a headrest to lay on but have found if you grab the headrest they have these little metal flaps you can squeeze in to make a lil "cubby" for your melon!....just hate the fact of trying to sleep sitting up..love the red eye zzzz

• Like 1

Thank you for all your replies about masks.  Informative and interesting.  However, my concern was that the article stated “proper mask”.  The article did not say a “properly worn mask”.  There is a big difference between the two wordings.

Here in the US, we have been told to “just wear a damn mask!”  I’ve seen all kinds of masks worn by people.  I believe that the majority of the masks worn here are not very effective against the Covid-19 virus.  But none the less, we here in mask mandated areas wear a mask when we need to go in public.

So when I saw the words “proper mask”, I hoped that somewhere there was a definition recorded.  I searched the airline web page and there was no mention of “proper mask”.  Seriously, I really knew that there would be no real answer…… but I asked anyway. 😊