News Forum - Another missing expat man found safe after being lost in forest

Thaiger

For the second time in as many days, an older expat man has been found after being lost in a forest for a few days. Yesterday a British man in Khon Kaen was found after being lost 3 days in a forest when he wandered off his motorbike for a stroll and couldn’t find his way back. Now today in Petchaburi, a Dutch national who went missing on August 31 was found alive in a Tha Yang district forest reserve after 4 days there. 79 year old Francis Kas van Rossum had been having a beer on Tuesday and then […]

The post Another missing expat man found safe after being lost in forest appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"79 year old Francis Kas van Rossum had been having a beer on Tuesday and then drove off on his motorbike, according to his 61 year old Thai wife."

when this happens to me the story will be "79 year old NCC1701A drove off on his motorbike, according to his 19 year old Thai wife "Boom" and her older sister 21 year old "Mee".  

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

3 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

"79 year old Francis Kas van Rossum had been having a beer on Tuesday and then drove off on his motorbike, according to his 61 year old Thai wife."

when this happens to me the story will be "79 year old NCC1701A drove off on his motorbike, according to his 19 year old Thai wife "Boom" and her older sister 21 year old "Mee".  

Have you considered contacting the Make A Wish Foundation

• Haha 1

Something special in the forest after drinking some beer?! My wife said when they are mao they follow some beautiful ghosts and get pi bah. But thats my wifes Thai version 🤣😂😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Is this what happens to when Covid boredom kicks in for seniors? Much more of this and it will be tracking ankle bracelets for any foreigner over 65. 

• Haha 5

33 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Is this what happens to when Covid boredom kicks in for seniors? Much more of this and it will be tracking ankle bracelets for any foreigner over 65. 

Tracking Amulets. Somebody figure out how to install your vaccine passport on this and you could make a fortune.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Cool 1

Strange, but after the second one in few days I did remember something I've learned in school: 

In earlier times the Inuit would leave their elderly on the ice to die

😇

10 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I think I have met Boom.

• Haha 3

All you have to do is open maps on your iPhone, you can then send the location to another iPhone and then the other person can call the police and then come and pick you up as the iPhone will give you step by step instructions as to where you are.

That will save a three or four days trundle through the jungle. 

That is a good idea for an app, the user can set up three of four numbers on his phone, all he has to do is open the app, press the "I am lost button", the app sends a text message to the phone numbers and a map opens and directs the rescuers by car, then directions on foot to the exact location.

I can call the app "Old fogey rescue".

I will write it just for the fun of it I think.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 8:49 AM, PhayakPeter said:

Download the app, what three words. 

Screenshot_20210904_164840_com.android.vending.jpg

Must have app. Assuming the person you're calling has it as well. But getting the three words - I'm at riches.sums.skills right now - and trying to explain that to a Thai speaker might be problematic at best. Using Thai as my secondary language would be fine but then I'd have to make sure not to lose my reading glasses in addition to myself and I would also have to learn how to read Thai much better than I do now.

4 minutes ago, JamesE said:

Must have app. Assuming the person you're calling has it as well. But getting the three words - I'm at riches.sums.skills right now - and trying to explain that to a Thai speaker might be problematic at best. Using Thai as my secondary language would be fine but then I'd have to make sure not to lose my reading glasses in addition to myself and I would also have to learn how to read Thai much better than I do now.

My app will send a text in the language set up in the iPhone, for example if the main language of the phone is Thai then it will send a text in Thai, all the receiver has to do is open it and then follow the map as they do when they are using the phone as a GPS.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, JamesR said:

My app will send a text in the language set up in the iPhone, for example if the main language of the phone is Thai then it will send a text in Thai, all the receiver has to do is open it and then follow the map as they do when they are using the phone as a GPS.

Put me down for the Beta. I get lost a lot. Always have. Sad.

On 9/4/2021 at 4:49 PM, PhayakPeter said:

Download the app, what three words. 

Screenshot_20210904_164840_com.android.vending.jpg

I installed that on my phone. The first time I needed to use it, the three words were YOU ARE LOST 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Not good older men getting confused/ lost in forests, i am quite safe though will never happen to me.

I would love to be able to walk through a forest, but sadly wont happen.

2 hours ago, JamesE said:

Put me down for the Beta. I get lost a lot. Always have. Sad.

I will let you know in a couple of months time when it is on the Apple app-store.(UK)

Have a look at https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/siambrasserie/id1407455465 via an iPhone or iPad. 

It is an iphone app I wrote a few years ago for a restaurant I owned for 23 years (then called Siam Cottage) but luckily sold it in 2018 long before the virus arrived.

It has a similar map which will take a customer to the restaurant turn by turn so I can cut and paste and re-use a lot of the code.

The restaurant app might not work in Thailand or another country though outside of the UK due to the long distance where it might not be able to find a route but the, 'I am lost app', will work anywhere in the world.

Edited by JamesR
added info
  • Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 11:10 AM, Guest1 said:

Strange, but after the second one in few days I did remember something I've learned in school: 

In earlier times the Inuit would leave their elderly on the ice to die

😇

Off topic, but I think the more romantic version is that the elderly Inuit would voluntarily go out to die on the ice so they wouldn't be a burden to their family.  Expats with a family in Thailand are likely are not burdens to their families.  

1 hour ago, bushav8r said:

Off topic, but I think the more romantic version is that the elderly Inuit would voluntarily go out to die on the ice so they wouldn't be a burden to their family.  Expats with a family in Thailand are likely are not burdens to their families.  

The Inuits would only commit senicide during times of famine it was not that common.

I agree it is off topic but relevant to what has been said about the Inuits.