News Forum - PM Prayut, 5 ministers win votes to beat no-confidence charge

Thaiger

Just now, NoshowJones said:

How can it be politics when the country is run by a military academy educated Junta? 😃

Possible if you are mentioning the Thai military academy you should not bring in educated people to your argument. Rather nationalistic depraved individuals

20 minutes ago, gummy said:

Possible if you are mentioning the Thai military academy you should not bring in educated people to your argument. Rather nationalistic depraved individuals

I see your point, though the Deputy PM Anutin the health minister is actually university educated, in some sort of engineering, but in nothing to do with health.

The unelected "PM" and the "health" minister, just another version of  The Chuckle Brothers. 🤣

• Haha 1

On 9/4/2021 at 1:08 PM, Shade_Wilder said:

An unsurprising outcome, despite the many stories published in the various media groups. Hmm... it is also interesting to see which media outlet led with which story; it is a bit of a window into media contacts, connections, outlooks and the interactions with the political factions.

Was there any truth to the story of discord among the three 'P's? There are a couple of different possible takes.

It either didn't happen or was simply a minor misunderstanding (a real one) that was blown out of proportion, likely by a political opponent. This is plausible, but I don't think likely. We all have seen the influence the government wields over the media, the Libel laws, Computer Crimes Act, etc; I think it unlikely that anyone would print a story/rumour like that without any substance behind it.

There is a major rift among the three 'P's. I think this is unlikely as it is true that they have been friends for decades, they have worked together for a common purpose (whether we approve or not) and they surely understand that they are in it together.

The third option seems the most likely; they are having small but quite serious spats. Despite all the politician talk that they are in complete agreement, does anyone really think they are? Doubtful. Differences were bound to emerge and we will likely see (okay, maybe not see directly) many more conflicts; based on the BP story of yesterday, I'll be watching carefully who the next Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of interior is. Very carefully. Further, ponder a thought on this; they are in their late 60's/early 70's and men of that age get crankier and crankier (anyone care to argue this? Prove my point? 🤣) and bicker a lot. And, while they surely won't admit it, they got to be a bit tired of it all; governing is incredibly stressful. Finally, they have been in a power-sharing agreement for... 6/7/8 years? Longer? When one looks around the world at similar regimes and/or groupings, they usually don't last much longer than that. The end is nigh.

Interesting times. The current government surviving a non-confidence motion wasn't particularly surprising; no one will admit it out loud, but who'd really want an election during a pandemic when things could (not saying they will, but could) turn south again very rapidly? Viewed from a purely political standpoint, the Status Quo is best for all political groupings concerned. Prayut and crew must deal with Covid and will be tossed out when it is 'done', and whomever takes over and from whichever faction is TBD for another year, but won't be tarred with the past.

Now, if only I knew who'll be coming next...

An excellent post and your debut, too, so special thanks for that!

Hello, Shade_Wilder and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.       https://thethaiger.com/forum-guidelines-and-rules

Happy posting

King Cotton