News Forum - Bangkok, Pattaya, and other destinations still planned to reopen in October

Thaiger

Despite Bangkok still classified as a “dark red” zone, and the Covid-19 epicentre with thousands of new infections reported each day, the capital is one of the eight tourist destinations planned to reopen to travellers on October 1. A report from Nation Thailand says the Public Health Ministry has launched preparations for the reopening. Other reopening schemes planned to start next month include Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Hua Hin in Prachuap Khiri Khan, Chiang Khan in Loei, Koh Kood and Koh Chang in Trat, and Koh Samet of Rayong. The plans still need to be approved by the Centre for Covid-19 Situation […]

The post Bangkok, Pattaya, and other destinations still planned to reopen in October appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

22 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Despite Bangkok still classified as a “dark red” zone, and the Covid-19 epicentre with thousands of new infections reported each day, the capital is one of the eight tourist destinations planned to reopen to travellers on October 1.

Bangkok sandbox.... How's that gonna work?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

Bangkok sandbox.... How's that gonna work?

It isn't going to work. The Phuket Sandbox is a joke, who's coming from where the majority of Thailand's catch area for tourists has Thailand designated as a risk area for travel.

Just more talk from people trying to justify their jobs.

• Like 6

The devil (and success or lack of) is in the details. If Thailand changes the requirement to match those it's implementing upon locals, there is a better chance of seeing the numbers they wish. Those being a double jab, a pre test and one test on day 5. If however they continue to require a double jab, a pre test, a test upon arrival, a test on day 6 and another on day 12, then they will get the same level of interest as Phuket has seen. Lukewarm at best. The idea swarms of Russians, Indians and snowbirds are lined up to get back to Thailand for the high season is folly. Thailand has to make the process much easier or people will just go to places that are easier. It really is that simple.  

• Like 5

I can't wait to travel again to Thailand. But not if I have to organize tons of papers before, and get tested 4 times in two weeks when Im there. Im vaccinated and willing to test myself once before entering the airplane, but after I'm there, I want to enjoy holiday and thats it. Anyway, why only Tourist get tested so often? Once at least 70% of the Thai People, just let the vaccinated people enter again.

• Like 7

100% correct Edward.

All the hoops, such as certificate of entry, mandatory local insurance, etc etc etc and all you mention = minimal tourism. It is as simple as that. 

As I and many others have mentioned many times before. Tourists need to be attracted. Not given a list of hoops to jump through. Carry on the way you are going TAT and sadly for the people of Thailand you will endeavour yet another meek high season.

Get on with vaccinating your people with vaccines that work and then open properly, without the hoops.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Majestic said:

I can't wait to travel again to Thailand. But not if I have to organize tons of papers before, and get tested 4 times in two weeks when Im there. Im vaccinated and willing to test myself once before entering the airplane, but after I'm there, I want to enjoy holiday and thats it. Anyway, why only Tourist get tested so often? Once at least 70% of the Thai People, just let the vaccinated people enter again.

I agree totally with you

• Like 2

Bunch of lies again, it will get extended over & over & over again. There will be lots of cases of covid-19 coming up next months. Even if 70% of population in Thailand vaccinated, it will not worked due to the fact that still have to mask up, social distancing etc..You folks think that I am pessimistic but every single time I am optimistic, it's getting worst almost single day

• Cool 1

7 hours ago, Griff1315 said:

It isn't going to work. The Phuket Sandbox is a joke, who's coming from where the majority of Thailand's catch area for tourists has Thailand designated as a risk area for travel.

Just more talk from people trying to justify their jobs.

Absolutely, just talk, talk & talk, no action taken. The mass vaccination is way too slow right now so how do you think that they will re-open next month.

Even if they dropped all the hoops they expect tourists to jump through tommorow the uptake will still be poor.

The country is on the red list for many of the traditional long haul european customers and because of all the uncertainty the major tour operators will not block book thailand this high season.

The lack of airworthy long haul aircraft and crew in current flying practice is now also a major factor.

this high season can not be saved ,it's to late already.

best that can be hoped for is a trickle of visitors from europe and close to zero from aus and nz .

Probably best to concentrate on india and china.

however you look at it the short term outlook for tourism is still fairly grim.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

16 minutes ago, Cathat said:

China isn't coming, even Thailand has finally recognized this. They probably won't show until the 4th quarter of 2022. It's why they are concentrating on Russians and Indians. Even so you are correct, in general Thailand isn't going to get the number they are pretending to expect. It's going to be the same as Phuket where they didn't give details until just days before and then wondered why no one was showing. People are booking their winter trips now, they want places that are easy and the trip is generally secure in happening. None of that is the case with Thailand, at least not yet.   

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

35 minutes ago, Cathat said:

Even if they dropped all the hoops they expect tourists to jump through tommorow the uptake will still be poor.

The country is on the red list for many of the traditional long haul european customers and because of all the uncertainty the major tour operators will not block book thailand this high season.

The lack of airworthy long haul aircraft and crew in current flying practice is now also a major factor.

this high season can not be saved ,it's to late already.

best that can be hoped for is a trickle of visitors from europe and close to zero from aus and nz .

however you look at it the short term outlook for tourism is still fairly grim.

If they drop all the hoops Ill book tixs tomorrow--but then again Im an expat..not a tourist...

The current plan for Cm works for me as I usually stayed in Muang area even before covid..Hoping they open

Key word.."hoping"..even willing to ASQ in CM if it makes them happy --i have no desire to be in BKK or PKT

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BBY said:

100% correct Edward.

All the hoops, such as certificate of entry, mandatory local insurance, etc etc etc and all you mention = minimal tourism. It is as simple as that. 

As I and many others have mentioned many times before. Tourists need to be attracted. Not given a list of hoops to jump through. Carry on the way you are going TAT and sadly for the people of Thailand you will endeavour yet another meek high season.

Get on with vaccinating your people with vaccines that work and then open properly, without the hoops.

Don't forget 3 times of COVID-19 tests worth at least B8,500 which not included in the insurance.

• Like 2

Currently only 70 countries are eligible to enter under the sandbox. Otherwise it's ASQ. 

If they want more people. Allow double vaccinated from any country to enter under sandbox rules. 

I'm coming from a country with less than 200 cases a day, population 35 million, and yet I'm more of a risk then someone coming from the UK 40k+ cases yesterday, population 68 million!

I'd love to get back to Thailand to see family, but really want to avoid doing ASQ again. 

so Thailand, change your rules!!!

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

The plans still need to be approved by the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration.

I don't see there any problem, that an brown envelope can't cure.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

If they drop all the hoops Ill book tixs tomorrow--but then again Im an expat..not a tourist...

The current plan for Cm works for me as I usually stayed in Muang area even before covid..Hoping they open

Key word.."hoping"..even willing to ASQ in CM if it makes them happy --i have no desire to be in BKK or PKT

I too seek to return to CM in October on an O or OA visa. If I don't enter via the 14-day TAT plan, is the other option to do standard ASQ in BKK then fly up to CM

If Phuket had remained a true quarantine area, then foreign tourists would come. But it seems that Phuket will succumb to the demands of Thais to return. Sadly that means that cases will rise to a point where foreign tourists won't come. This plan did have a lot of promise for fully vaccinated foreign tourists to help start a new beginning. But hopes are fading fast. I fear it will be first quarter 2022, before this can be attempted again. 

• Like 2

Thailand being the most restricted and expensive for tourists wishing to travel really need to up their game to recover anytime soon. 

Abu Dhabi, quarantine free. 

Spain, free covid insurance for tourists. 

To name, but 2. 

Edited by PhayakPeter

On 9/3/2021 at 11:52 AM, Thaiger said:

Despite Bangkok still classified as a “dark red” zone, and the Covid-19 epicentre with thousands of new infections reported each day, the capital is one of the eight tourist destinations planned to reopen to travellers on October 1. A report from Nation Thailand says the Public Health Ministry has launched preparations for the reopening. Other reopening schemes planned to start next month include Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Hua Hin in Prachuap Khiri Khan, Chiang Khan in Loei, Koh Kood and Koh Chang in Trat, and Koh Samet of Rayong. The plans still need to be approved by the Centre for Covid-19 Situation […]

The post Bangkok, Pattaya, and other destinations still planned to reopen in October appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

On 9/3/2021 at 1:09 PM, BBY said:

Exactly! I don't know who would want to go through all the hoops. Thailand should be focused on this more than opening up at this time which may increase cases and make things worse than it already is. I know I won't think about travelling to Thailand this year anyway. 

According to CDC data 95 percent of deaths had other causes too. Not just one but FOUR on average like diabetes and hypertensive diseases. Only five percent had only COVID listed as the cause. Risk to die on Thai roads is much higher than COVID for people under 50 who are healthy. For people under 30 basically some rare weird syndrome like chance. 

Open it all up!

Edited by JackIsAGoodBoy
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, JackIsAGoodBoy said:

According to CDC data 95 percent of deaths had other causes too. Not just one but FOUR like diabetes and hypertensive diseases. Only five percent had only COVID listed as the cause. Risk to die on Thai roads is much higher than COVID for people under 50 who are healthy. For people under 30 basically some rare weird syndrome like chance. 

Open it all up!

"Risk to die on Thai roads is much higher than COVID for people under 50 who are healthy." Then by your logic only people over 50 should be allowed to drive on Thai roads as the risk will thus be lower than dying from Covid. I'm all for that 😂