News Forum - Thailand’s plant-based Covid-19 vaccine ready for phase 1 trials

Thaiger

The Baiya vaccine, a plant-based Covid-19 vaccine being developed in Thailand, is ready to begin phase 1 clinical trials this month. The Bangkok Post reports that the vaccine is being developed by Baiya Phytopharm, at Bangkok’s Chulalongkorn University. The company’s founder, Waranyoo Phoolcharoen, says human trials can begin once Thailand’s Food and Drug Administration has finished reviewing information about the manufacturing process. Subject to the success of clinical trials, the vaccine will go into production next year and if all goes to plan, should be rolled out by the third quarter of 2022. According to the Bangkok Post report, the […]

The post Thailand’s plant-based Covid-19 vaccine ready for phase 1 trials appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 minute ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

Plant based... Like the very natural Fanta Orange?

And how you can make a vaccine from plants? I never heard that before and I thought Covid is a virus! Medicine yes but vaccine????

I'll enjoy my first world covid vaccine while the Thai government continues their mismanagement of the covid crisis and waits for foreign aid (money from non arriving tourists and corruption). 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Ynwaps said:

I'll enjoy my first world covid vaccine while the Thai government continues their mismanagement of the covid crisis and waits for foreign aid (money from non arriving tourists and corruption). 

It reminds me also on another 2 cases when they anounced they developped in Thailand medicine against aids and ebola.

• Like 1

Phase 1 ready to start. Ready 2024 at the earliest, if at all. By then the WIoV will have accidentally released something else, uh, I mean there will be different Chinese bat causing trouble.

Maybe they can simultaneously start research on a plant based smallpox vaccine?

As long as the research is empirical, let them go for it! Who knows what the silver bullet will be.... In my country, researchers are working on a peptide medication, that kills coronavirus no matter what it mutates into. It prevents infection and transmission of the virus. It too is in clinical trials right now. The days of this virus are numbered. 

• Cool 2

She is right, Thailand probably has the greatest potential of any country in the world. They are starting from negative zero, how can you not have more potential... These guys are "trying" to start phase one trials and the UK is 63% fully dosed with the U.S. 53% fully dosed... Thailand is clocking in a 10% and has "re-opening plans". You gotta love Thailand, always over-planned and under-executed...

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

The moniker of a "plant based" vaccine is misleading.  The technology Baiya is using is the same as the Novavax vaccine which should be approved by the FDA in USA by the end of the year.  The technology these vaccines utilize are similar to traditional vaccines and therefore safer with a lower side effect profile.

Instead of joking around as if the Baiya vaccine is some stupid Thai idea, simply do a little research before spouting nonsense.

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/cv19-vaccines/the-subunit-vaccine-is-anticipated-to-be-produced-for-use-in-the-middle-of-2022

1 minute ago, thai3 said:

You don't need to do any research to see this will be far too late and will probably never be produced

Is A Nut In here behind it by any chance? If so, he'll just waffle the patients to death.

10 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The company’s founder, Waranyoo Phoolcharoen, says human trials can begin once Thailand’s Food and Drug Administration has finished reviewing information about the manufacturing process.

dHKBHBBownload.jPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saunk said:

The moniker of a "plant based" vaccine is misleading.  The technology Baiya is using is the same as the Novavax vaccine which should be approved by the FDA in USA by the end of the year.  The technology these vaccines utilize are similar to traditional vaccines and therefore safer with a lower side effect profile.

Instead of joking around as if the Baiya vaccine is some stupid Thai idea, simply do a little research before spouting nonsense.

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/cv19-vaccines/the-subunit-vaccine-is-anticipated-to-be-produced-for-use-in-the-middle-of-2022

The delivery mechanism is similar but "plant based" as you point out is totally off base. The plant in question - a relative of tobacco - has been genetically engineered to produce the proteins required for the vaccine. Novavax is using moths to produce the proteins which are described as "recombinant nanoparticles" (which should totally set a lot of hair on fire...). Even if it doesn't work it's an interesting concept that might not have gotten funded in a pre-COVID world. This pandemic is really nothing more than practice for the next one.

• Like 1

Btw it's plant based because there's already a vaccine patent based on insects. Basically the same technology but differently harvested. Next one is rice based 🥲