News Forum - Over 1,000 cats abandoned by owners on Koh Phi Phi, donations needed

Thaiger

More than 1,000 cats have been abandoned on Koh Phi Phi, the small collection of islands that are part of Krabi’s province. The cats were stranded by their owners after Covid played havoc with Phi Phi’s tourism. Thai PBS says the owners worked on the island or were entrepreneurs that had to leave the islands due to Covid, under the impression the leave would be temporary. Many of the cat owners have not returned to collect their cats after it became clear tourists weren’t coming back to Phi Phi in the near future, says Suda Klinchuen, a volunteer. Local officials […]

The post Over 1,000 cats abandoned by owners on Koh Phi Phi, donations needed appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I would donate money to have them all put down, not kept alive as pests. Never understand this soppy attitude by people who eat some animals trying to save others. 

6 minutes ago, thai3 said:

I would donate money to have them all put down, not kept alive as pests. Never understand this soppy attitude by people who eat some animals trying to save others. 

Their fur makes lovely mittens, or is that kittens 😂

Donations?  555.  How many have been abandoned everywhere else?  Spay and neuter aren’t in the vocabulary here.  Rather than donate anything, just follow the common practice here- drop the cats off at the Temple Dump.  

• Cool 1

1 hour ago, Craig said:

Donations?  555.  How many have been abandoned everywhere else?  Spay and neuter aren’t in the vocabulary here.  Rather than donate anything, just follow the common practice here- drop the cats off at the Temple Dump.  

Yeah donating people never do but a big mouth they always have.... sad but true...

common sense to help others and not only make use of things

Edited by Paco

4 hours ago, thai3 said:

I never understand the attitude of people saying this kind of things, easy way out right... no respect for the living.. 

Edited by Paco

1 minute ago, Paco said:

I never understand the attitude of people saying this kind of things, easy way out right... 

Simply put he is saying some people will give money to keep an animal alive but later on will sit down and eat a slaughtered pig. In other words double standards.

7 minutes ago, gummy said:

Simply put he is saying some people will give money to keep an animal alive but later on will sit down and eat a slaughtered pig. In other words double standards.

Cats don't taste as good as pigs though . 

If cats tasted like bacon, they wouldn't be roaming the streets 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Timo said:

Wow, i thought people here would be up for protecting them. Cats suck, manipulative bas*ards. I'm sure some people eat them.

I am quite sure that some people do, I remember in a bar some guy asking whether he could eat a ladys cat and he was willing to pay 500 Baht

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Fluke said:

Cats don't taste as good as pigs though . 

If cats tasted like bacon, they wouldn't be roaming the streets 

That's because you have not cooked them properly. You need to marinate for at least 6 hours, boil for 1 hour and put in oven for 2 hours on a low heat. 

7 minutes ago, gummy said:

That's because you have not cooked them properly. You need to marinate for at least 6 hours, boil for 1 hour and put in oven for 2 hours on a low heat. 

Akin to suckling kitten slow-pit roasted - prepared in the same manner as the fore mentioned piglet.

Very Lao. 

1 minute ago, Rain said:

Akin to suckling kitten slow-pit roasted - prepared in the same manner as the fore mentioned piglet.

Very Lao. 

Yes it makes the purrrfect meal

30 minutes ago, Timo said:

I'm sure lots of people have paid a lot more than 500 baht to eat a ladies cat.

Ho-ho-ho! And recommended as a recuperative diet after a stroke, I hear.

Hello, Timo and welcome to Thaiger Talk    Sorry I missed your debut post, the other day . . . thanks for that!

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.       https://thethaiger.com/forum-guidelines-and-rules

Happy posting

King Cotton

I’m sure CM could use a few hundred or so of dem cats to eat the pigeons and rats near Tapae Gate. No end to how many of them are in that area. 

12 hours ago, Paco said:

Yeah donating people never do but a big mouth they always have.... sad but true...

common sense to help others and not only make use of things

Agreed.  An open shoot program would reduce the population and put food in the table.  

14 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

I’m sure CM could use a few hundred or so of dem cats to eat the pigeons and rats near Tapae Gate. No end to how many of them are in that area. 

The rats are mostly around bin bags left out. With all those concrete phone/electricity poles in the streets, they should attach hooks at 1m high to hang the bags. Keeps the rats out and easier for the bin men to pick up too.

As for pigeons, the noise and sh*t. And the diseases they transmit. And then those that sell food to attract them all... 

I suggest pigeon roast for everyone tonight!

23 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

The rats are mostly around bin bags left out. With all those concrete phone/electricity poles in the streets, they should attach hooks at 1m high to hang the bags. Keeps the rats out and easier for the bin men to pick up too.

As for pigeons, the noise and sh*t. And the diseases they transmit. And then those that sell food to attract them all... 

Go out around Tapae Gate - John's Bar side -  Loy Kroh and sit on the moat with your legs hanging over one night time. They live in the cement burm slope of the moat. Has to be night time, but when you sit you will start to notice the rats popping in and out of their burrows from holes and cracks in the cement and scurrying around from place to place in their moat rat city. It is really fast how they do it. Also  walk past down to the DK book store complex and then just past a gas station and make a left on the Commercial Techno school street. Has to be night time as well. The whole left side under the cement is another rat city which goes for quite a few several several meters along the wall. Daytime they have food carts making food there. Had friends who came to stay here and personally have seen it too many times being in the area with them.. I don't think hanging the garbage 1 meter high will stop any rat from climbing up and then doing the tight rope to dinner. Not for the light hearted or light stomach people.

4 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Go out around Tapae Gate - John's Bar side -  Loy Kroh and sit on the moat with your legs hanging over one night time. They live in the cement burm slope of the moat. Has to be night time, but when you sit you will start to notice the rats popping in and out of their burrows from holes and cracks in the cement and scurrying around from place to place in their moat rat city. It is really fast how they do it. Also  walk past down to the DK book store complex and then just past a gas station and make a left on the Commercial Techno school street. Has to be night time as well. The whole left side under the cement is another rat city which goes for quite a few several several meters along the wall. Daytime they have food carts making food there. Had friends who came to stay here and personally have seen it too many times being in the area with them.. I don't think hanging the garbage 1 meter high will stop any rat from climbing up and then doing the tight rope to dinner. Not for the light hearted or light stomach people.

True, you see them even coming out of the concrete crevices around the trees. In Bali those hooks work great. Think it might help here too.

But the pigeons annoy me more 🥴

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

They left the bags full of restaurant waste out on the street at closing time , and they collected the rubbish about 3-5 AM , giving the rats plenty of chance to feast . 

The bags are left about two meters away from the moat and the rats homes , so when you walk along the pavement , the rats are in the rubbish bags , they hear you coming and scurry from the bin bags to their homes , right in front of people and sometimes the rats run over peoples feet 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

True, you see them even coming out of the concrete crevices around the trees. In Bali those hooks work great. Think it might help here too.

But the pigeons annoy me more 🥴

Anything is better than what it is. Do you have any pictures of Bali doing that? I have not been to Bali for a few decades now. Was going to go visit last year for a family holiday but covid jumped and closed everything down. It is definitely on my revisit list as I have old Indonesian friends who live there.

I think we are lucky the rats can't saddle the pigeons and fly them. 

7 minutes ago, Fluke said:

They left the bags full of restaurant waste out on the street at closing time , and they collected the rubbish about 3-5 AM , giving the rats plenty of chance to feast . 

The bags are left about two meters away from the moat and the rats homes , so when you walk along the pavement , the rats are in the rubbish bags , they hear you coming and scurry from the bin bags to their homes , right in front of people and sometimes the rats run over peoples feet 

Yeah, it is quite the sight even without any garbage bags there. Last time I was siting with a US friend drinking a bottle of whiskey and catching up on old stories. If can't have cats then CM needs a Pied Piper.

Then as the Pied Piper Played, the Great Army of Rats Ran Down to the Broad  River posters & prints by Margaret Evans Price

• Like 1

It's the sad reality of a pandemic, when pets end up being abandoned. Many people seek the comfort of pets in lockdowns to give them some positivity. But cats on Phi Phi that are now malnourished will seek to kill birdlife and other animals that are native to Phi Phi. I d think that euthanasing is the best option to prevent them suffering. 

• Like 2