News Forum - Blood donations urgently needed by Red Cross; northeast stores hit critical level

Thaiger

Thailand’s Red Cross Society is still in desperate need of blood donations. The society says their stores are limited to a critical level. In fact, the society was unable to supply 70% of the blood donations requested by hospitals, says chief of the Nakhon Ratchasima based 5th National Blood Centre, Sirilak Piakkhunthod, today. The problem is notably critical in the northeastern Thai provinces. Blood donations in the 4 northeastern Thai provinces, Nakhon Ratchasima, Chaiyaphum, Buri Ram and Surin, which are under the centre’s purview, have fallen sharply since the most recent wave of the Covid pandemic. Nakhon Ratchasima has especially […]

The post Blood donations urgently needed by Red Cross; northeast stores hit critical level appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I tried to give blood almost a year ago.

The Udon blood donation department told me that as a Brit I wasn't allowed to. Neither is anyone who lived in the UK 1980-1996, due to the Mad Cow Disease.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

I tried to give blood almost a year ago.

The Udon blood donation department told me that as a Brit I wasn't allowed to. Neither is anyone who lived in the UK 1980-1996, due to the Mad Cow Disease.

I know you're serious, but be prepared for a busy 'Ha-ha' input! (:-)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

I know you're serious, but be prepared for a busy 'Ha-ha' input! (:-)

Well I think the appropriate response about mad cows should be bull - you know what, although I gather mild swearing appears to have been outlawed now.

• Haha 1

I've said id it before, but I lived in the U.K. in that period, declared it here yet they are happy to take the blood.

If you're serious about donating, worth to just ask at the Red Cross. It may help someone.

32 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

I've said id it before, but I lived in the U.K. in that period, declared it here yet they are happy to take the blood.

If you're serious about donating, worth to just ask at the Red Cross. It may help someone.

This is quoted directly from the Red Cross questionnaire I was given:

13. Had a blood transfusion in UK during 1980-1996?

14. Did you reside in UK during 1980-1996 for the period of more than 6 months?

edit: This was on 7 December 2020.

4 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

I know. I attach the form. I said yes to the UK question and they happily take my blood regardless. I last donated in May and had an SMS that it's time again.

Not saying anyone has to, but if you want to, worth a try. They don't seem to see it as a restriction in CM.

Blood-Donation-Application-Form.pdf 263.56 kB · 0 downloads

It's weird isn't it?

Apart from your form it's Q35 and mine was Q13 & Q14, it's the same question.
When I queried it, the staff seemed well aware it was due to Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD),

I asked how come I was still donating blood in the UK at this time? I was told they must have a screening test for it in the UK.
The Thai government had no such test available, so the policy was to refuse those who might have been exposed to it.

I have no idea why the different attitude between Udon and CM.
As we know, you can ask the same question of two different people and receive a different answer. Very frustrating.

2 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

It's weird isn't it?

Apart from your form it's Q35 and mine was Q13 & Q14, it's the same question.
When I queried it, the staff seemed well aware it was due to Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD),

I asked how come I was still donating blood in the UK at this time? I was told they must have a screening test for it in the UK.
The Thai government had no such test available, so the policy was to refuse those who might have been exposed to it.

I have no idea why the different attitude between Udon and CM.
As we know, you can ask the same question of two different people and receive a different answer. Very frustrating.

I don't know... they looked at me and said it's okay...

maxresdefault.jpg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

You must be a more handsome man than me then!

Where's your photo? 🙄

Joking aside, perhaps different Red Cross locations use different selections? Maybe some have a CJD test? Anyway, if they're really in need of blood, I'd always ask. If we'd end up in hospital, we'd appreciate it too.

I don’t know how anyone could allow British to give blood?

Arn’t they all mad anyway?

Thats what Aussies believe???🤔😂🤥😜

After Question .3 Nationally, they should be sent packing!!

Just Joking Guys😁😜🤪

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Bob20 said:

Where's your photo? 🙄

Joking aside, perhaps different Red Cross locations use different selections? Maybe some have a CJD test? Anyway, if they're really in need of blood, I'd always ask. If we'd end up in hospital, we'd appreciate it too.

When I emailed the Red Cross in Bangkok to find out where to go in Udon, I told Bangkok I was British. They didn't say anything.

The Udon staff answered all my questions straight off, without any pauses or discussion.
It was them who said there was no CJD test available in Thailand for blood donation.  They also said even if I wasn't refused because of CJD, I would still need to go to Khon Kaen Red Cross for initial testing, being a new donor. That's a 200km round trip.

• Cool 1

Responding to second urgent plea for blood donors by Red Cross, off we went.. 65 year old healthy male, covid vaccinated, have given blood in many other countries.. have lived here continuously for 2 years and am B positive blood type.. Was flatly refused the right to give blood because  A.. I am over 60.. B.. I have never yet given blood in this country ( well thats why I am here at the centre) So no blood was given and this rule needs changing if they are screaming out for blood, because they lost me, and the many other healthy ex pats living here over 60.. 

Edited by King Cotton
Some duplicated text deleted.
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Paulb said:

Responding to second urgent plea for blood donors by Red Cross, off we went.. 65 year old healthy male, covid vaccinated, have given blood in many other countries.. have lived here continuously for 2 years and am B positive blood type.. Was flatly refused the right to give blood because  A.. I am over 60.. B.. I have never yet given blood in this country ( well thats why I am here at the centre) So no blood was given and this rule needs changing if they are screaming out for blood, because they lost me, and the many other healthy ex pats living here over 60.. 

Sadly, you're one of the many to have made similar comments re the nonsensical state of the Thai Red Cross blood-donating barriers.  And your debut post, too, so many thanks for that!

Hello, Paulb and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.       https://thethaiger.com/forum-guidelines-and-rules

Happy posting

King Cotton

21 minutes ago, Paulb said:

The restriction for the Thai Red cross is that you have to be under 60 if you want to give blood for the 1st time. If a "regular" than the age limit increases to 70.  It appears that different countries have different rules. I would have thought that being the "Red Cross" that there would be standard rules globally. Even the WHO have different criteria I just discovered

https://www.who.int/campaigns/world-blood-donor-day/2018/who-can-give-blood

11 minutes ago, gummy said:

The restriction for the Thai Red cross is that you have to be under 60 if you want to give blood for the 1st time. If a "regular" than the age limit increases to 70.  It appears that different countries have different rules. I would have thought that being the "Red Cross" that there would be standard rules globally. Even the WHO have different criteria I just discovered

https://www.who.int/campaigns/world-blood-donor-day/2018/who-can-give-blood

Ha ha ha! I was 62 when I tried to give blood for the first time (In Thailand). That part of it was swept under the carpet as not a problem, as opposed to other not-consistently implemented rules.
Here we all are trying to help, hitting our heads against various brick walls.

It's a serious matter, but it reminds of the the line:  Here we all are starving and all you can think of is food.

• Cool 1

3 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

I was 62 when I tried to give blood for the first time (In Thailand). That part of it was swept under the carpet as not a problem, as opposed to other not-consistently implemented rules.

Different rule for different province to I bet. Same, Same but different. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Spice61 said:

I don’t know how anyone could allow British to give blood?

Arn’t they all mad anyway?

{snipped}

Hey, I resemble that remark!

• Like 1