News Forum - Prayut accused of embezzlement in Sinovac vaccine purchases

Thaiger

Complex and tricky accounting or embezzlement? Accusations by the Pheu Thai opposition party demand PM Prayut Chan-o-cha explain a 2 billion baht gap between what was allocated for Sinovac vaccine purchases and what was actually spent. The charges claim that Thailand also paid inflated prices for vaccines that other countries purchased much cheaper and that the country’s reliance on Sinovac vaccines was linked to the manufacturer’s connection with a government-associated Thai business tycoon. The accusations came yesterday as part of the opening day of the 4-day censure hearing to call for a vote of no-confidence for PM Prayut and several […]

The post Prayut accused of embezzlement in Sinovac vaccine purchases appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Complex and tricky accounting or embezzlement? Accusations by the Pheu Thai opposition party demand PM Prayut Chan-o-cha explain a 2 billion baht gap between what was allocated for Sinovac vaccine purchases and what was actually spent.

So Pheu Thai want an explanation where the money went, answer to that is easy, went into a handful of peoples offshore bank accounts.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

It's obvious to a High school economics student. You make a deal for the cheapest  (sinovac) vaccine in large quantities then elevate the price on your national market and get a" kick back " of the dividends . Especially when you're in charge of the government's oversight and if anyone challenges or questions it you just say it's due to the drop in the baht currency ! Why else would you continue to purchase a vaccine that has a low efficacy after 3 weeks and is completely ineffective against the covid variants ! Kick backs people.,kick backs ! 2 billion bahts in his offshore account he's not stupid enough to keep it in a Thai bank ! C'mon people think 🤔 !

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, colinneil said:

So Pheu Thai want an explanation where the money went, answer to that is easy, went into a handful of peoples offshore bank accounts.

The bottom line is the usual tale. And has an historic pattern.

Corruption, graft and personal gain above the general well being of the people.

6 minutes ago, Rain said:

The bottom line is the usual tale. And has an historic pattern.

Corruption, graft and personal gain above the general well being of the people.

Agreed, and it will never be stopped in Thailand, it's a Thai way of life, i see it everyday with my Thai family it's how they live corruption, corruption, corruption it's everywhere, if you want some proof go ride a motorbike without a license,get stopped by police and you will see what i am getting at.🤣

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, stuhan said:

Agreed, and it will never be stopped in Thailand, it's a Thai way of life, i see it everyday with my Thai family it's how they live corruption, corruption, corruption it's everywhere, if you want some proof go ride a motorbike without a license,get stopped by police and you will see what i am getting at.🤣

And the well intended activists pursue a few individuals, when it's really a systematic/cultural mindset that requires their attention....

11 minutes ago, Rain said:

And the well intended activists pursue a few individuals, when it's really a systematic/cultural mindset that requires their attention....

Yep - they always seem to think the problem is with one person or a few people, when the problem is the system and the cultural acceptance of corruption. They also have the attitude of 'always been this way, always will be this way' - and many Expats too.

But that is not true.  If anyone thinks we 'western' people are bastions of good and perfection, then you are delusional - our history is full of such corruption and practices and worse. What happened is that we dealt with it - some harshly and some softly - but we as a group did something about it and the systems changed because of that, and then our cultural attitudes changed too. Thailand can and will eventually deal with it, and lets hope it is not like what happened in China. The reason Mao was successful, was because of exactly this type of graft and corruption that was endemic in China (but on a much larger scale). All it takes is for the right opportunity to arise such that change follows - for Mao is was the world wars - is an economic disaster because of Covid enough? Maybe, maybe not.   Massive bush fires start with just one or two sparks - we Aussies know that well.  Thailand looks very hot and dry to me - like the Aussie bush before the inevitable happens.    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

Thailand's corruption is weaved into the fabric of society from the top down. There's no undoing it. It's why Thailand will always be regarded as a playground for anyone with money.

Expats see it on a minor level. Immigration problem? Just pay. Police problem? Just pay. Business problem? Just pay. 

Prayut et al are just playing the game. This is just corrupt politicians calling out other corrupt politicians so they can get their turn at the honey pot.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Thailand can and will eventually deal with it,

Coming soon.

Social media help a lot now. 
before the cheaters can control news. Not now.

They cheat election. If not have Covid situation the cheater be gone already. Sure.

Pheu Thai not the answer. They have sticky hand also.

Must be Thanathorn. 

Prayut. Get out!
And another one.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, stuhan said:

Exactly. Thai wife fined 200 baht for no driving license coming back from up-country recently. 🤣 Hope she doesn’t try to pull the same trick driving in the UK!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stuhan said:

Stuhan you are right, but wait until you find out about the corruption with the U.S. gov't and big pharma, make the Thais look like total amateurs.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

Coming soon.

Social media help a lot now. 
before the cheaters can control news. Not now.

They cheat election. If not have Covid situation the cheater be gone already. Sure.

Pheu Thai not the answer. They have sticky hand also.

Must be Thanathorn. 

Prayut. Get out!
And another one.

But Thanathorn has been banned by this current corrupt administration for 10 years. How will he be able to come back, start a new party before those 10 years are up ?  In the meantime the damage done to this country already by the current administration is terrible but just think what state Thailand will be in if you have to wait 10 years before your saviour can start again.

14 minutes ago, gummy said:

But Thanathorn has been banned by this current corrupt administration for 10 years. How will he be able to come back, start a new party before those 10 years are up ?  In the meantime the damage done to this country already by the current administration is terrible but just think what state Thailand will be in if you have to wait 10 years before your saviour can start again.

Easy.

Now Prayut is PM.

But he not play the election. Nobody vote for him. His team give him PM.

So Future Forward with new name win election. His team give him PM. Or his wife.

• Like 2

Here we go again, corruption from the very top, was this not supposed to be atop priority to be addressed when the clowns took office (how many years ago) ?

Am sure it will be a misunderstanding yet again and absolutely nothing will be done about it, no charges filed.

After all TIT.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Yep - they always seem to think the problem is with one person or a few people, when the problem is the system and the cultural acceptance of corruption. They also have the attitude of 'always been this way, always will be this way' - and many Expats too.

But that is not true.  If anyone thinks we 'western' people are bastions of good and perfection, then you are delusional - our history is full of such corruption and practices and worse. What happened is that we dealt with it - some harshly and some softly - but we as a group did something about it and the systems changed because of that, and then our cultural attitudes changed too. Thailand can and will eventually deal with it, and lets hope it is not like what happened in China. The reason Mao was successful, was because of exactly this type of graft and corruption that was endemic in China (but on a much larger scale). All it takes is for the right opportunity to arise such that change follows - for Mao is was the world wars - is an economic disaster because of Covid enough? Maybe, maybe not.   Massive bush fires start with just one or two sparks - we Aussies know that well.  Thailand looks very hot and dry to me - like the Aussie bush before the inevitable happens.    

Are you kidding?  Mao was successful because he had all the guns and was prepared to do away with tens of millions of people who did not agree with him (much like Stalin).  And all this was done in the name of "the common good" and "to protect you".  Sound familiar Bob?

• Like 1

I knew this was fake news as soon as I saw it was hinting at a possible case of curruption in the government. I mean this government has sworn to stamp out such things. 

• Haha 1