News Forum - Wednesday Covid Update: 252 deaths and 14,802 new cases

Thaiger

252 coronavirus-related deaths were reported today by Thailand’s Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration. The CCSA also 14,802 new Covid-19 cases and 18,996 recoveries in the 24-hour period since the last count, bringing the number of active cases in Thailand to 166,922. In the latest and most severe wave of the virus in Thailand, first recorded on April 1, the CCSA has reported 1,013,342 confirmed Covid-19 cases. The wave is on a downward slope as the number of new recoveries continues to exceed the number of new infections. Out of the new cases today, 217 were found in correctional facilities. More than 40,000 inmates […]

The post Wednesday Covid Update: 252 deaths and 14,802 new cases appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

The media keep reporting the lower case numbers but never the amount of tests carried out.

Come on Thaiger is there something stopping you asking what we would all like to know.

• Like 5

I am sure many are disappointed the case loads are dropping even with very few vaccinations among the general population.  It runs counter to the vaccines will save everyone argument.

• Like 1

New case numbers are down 25% in just 1 week.... Wow this is an amazing reduction in numbers. Funny how it coincides with the Gov'ts push to justify the staged re-opening. Are testing rates robust? WIth vaccination rates at circa 10% I find it hard to understand the stats here. Feels like someone is fudging the numbers. Happy to be proven wrong with my comments...

• Like 2

According to OurWorldInData.org (average 7 day test, these are last week’s) numbers Thailand performs the least amount of tests compared to the region experiencing a delta outbreak at .8 per 1,000 people. Vietnam is double that and Malaysia performs 4.8 tests per 1,000 people. 

Obviously infection rates are a better indicator than case numbers alone. Unfortunately, as some may have expected, they are performing drastically lower tests which results in….lower case counts. 

On the vaccine front:

11.5% are considered fully vaccinated (the number that really matters)

Average Daily Doses have increased to 595K per day

Source: MHESI: covidvax.live

FFC709F8-F292-4DF5-AD30-33E52A81120E.jpeg

ABFDC1C9-63BF-4331-A20A-73BE4059DDE6.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gomez said:

New case numbers are down 25% in just 1 week.... Wow this is an amazing reduction in numbers. Funny how it coincides with the Gov'ts push to justify the staged re-opening. Are testing rates robust? WIth vaccination rates at circa 10% I find it hard to understand the stats here. Feels like someone is fudging the numbers. Happy to be proven wrong with my comments...

I would say deaths are more important than covid detection case numbers and they certainly are not down 25% 

Just shows that when from one day to the next they say "the numbers are down" so we can decide to open-up, it has no basis.

Next day they're up again!

But guess what? The decision stands.

• Like 2

One day doesn't make a trend...nor does a week. If you've ever had the flu, when a doctor prescribes antibiotics, the course is for 14 days. After 7 days (even after 3 days) you feel better, so you stop taking the antibiotics. Had you have stayed the course and taken the full course, you would fuller recover. But the virus was waiting for you to stop. You did and then get a secondary infection which is far worse than the first. 

So seeing the number of cases fall as restrictions have their effect, isn't a reason to ease restrictions. It means the restrictions are working and should continue until the vaccination numbers are rising significantly. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, billywillyjones said:

I am sure many are disappointed the case loads are dropping even with very few vaccinations among the general population.  It runs counter to the vaccines will save everyone argument.

I don’t think it’s disappointment. More a feeling of amazement and incredulity. Let’s see what happens when restrictions are fully lifted and bars and entertainment venues are opened. If as we all hope, infections and deaths continue to fall, the the country will become the focal point of the entire world. Thailand will become the only highly populated country in the world with no lockdowns or restrictions, low vaccination rates, no alternative treatments and low Covid cases. The title of “Amazing Thailand” will be well deserved. 

3 hours ago, Griff1315 said:

The media keep reporting the lower case numbers but never the amount of tests carried out.

Come on Thaiger is there something stopping you asking what we would all like to know.

The testing numbers are available but not readily.  Testing numbers show  anything  like a 30-50% postive result,  for example Aug 28 42000 tests nearly 18000 positive.  Maybe less testing is  occurring which shows the recent decrease in positive numbers

3 hours ago, Gomez said:

Testing in the Bangkok area alone has dropped over 30% since August 20th. I guess the Logic being if cases are falling then why waste money testing so many. Look, it’s still falling, let’s test even fewer….  Eventually with no tests you achieve zero cases. Who needs science and medicine? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, billywillyjones said:

The flip side; a FEW are elated that cases are dropping even with very few vaccinations, it supports the vaccines will save no one argument.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thommo said:

The testing numbers are available but not readily.  Testing numbers show  anything  like a 30-50% postive result,  for example Aug 28 42000 tests nearly 18000 positive.  Maybe less testing is  occurring which shows the recent decrease in positive numbers

My understanding is they have the capacity to test upto 100,000 per day so if they wanted a better idea of the situation they would use them. I believe It's still pot luck as to weather you can get a test around Bangkok. 

9 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Testing in the Bangkok area alone has dropped over 30% since August 20th. I guess the Logic being if cases are falling then why waste money testing so many. Look, it’s still falling, let’s test even fewer….  Eventually with no tests you achieve zero cases. Who needs science and medicine? 

...but conveniently forgetting that everyone who tests positive doesn't need a vaccine for about 6 months, so those can be use for others first...

Testing is still very useful.

• Like 1

How did todays number show up in the middle of the day. normally the number says as of 10:xx PM.

is this number just the middle of he day with more to follow? the 31st was 257 this seems like a very strange report. the same as we went to 79% of the beds filled quite rapidly but cannot seem to get to 80%. beds just keep showing up.

3 hours ago, gummy said:

I would say deaths are more important than covid detection case numbers and they certainly are not down 25% 

Exactly.  Even with no tests at all, the number of deaths is still a reasonably reliable guide (so far), even if a fortnight or so behind cases, and the number of deaths is NOT down.