News Forum - Phuket officials look to vaccinated domestic visitors for tourism lifeline

Thaiger

5 hours ago, Guest1 said:

There are lots of 'vip', with enough money, to go to Phuket. And, of course, with connections, to jump the vaccination line. Or the test/check at the bridge!

If that’s the case then surely those people who can get around restrictions are already travelling to Phuket? Even the Thais won’t be looking to party in Phuket while the place is so heavily restricted in terms of nightlife and entertainment. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gummy said:

"and rich Thai people... they go to Hua Hin"

Really ?

If you read the article in the BKK Post today, not only do rich people go to Hua Hin, but they are preparing the airport there to accept an influx of private jets 🤔

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Soidog said:

If you read the article in the BKK Post today, not only do rich people go to Hua Hin, but they are preparing the airport there to accept an influx of private jets 🤔

Well will the "Rich Thai people" really fly their private jets from Bangkok to Hue Hin ?

Are the Phuket officials admitting the sandbox a failure? at one time they were plastering all over the place how many arrivals, no mention of that recently 

Edited by Lowseasonlover
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

Why pay with very large brown envelope when easy fast test at the bridge for 500 baht?????
You imagination.

May not have been vaccinated. As per the entry requirement. Or are they just letting things slide?

1 hour ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

May not have been vaccinated. As per the entry requirement. Or are they just letting things slide?

I think everyone with big brown envelope vaccinated already. 

2 hours ago, gummy said:

Well will the "Rich Thai people" really fly their private jets from Bangkok to Hue Hin ?

I think the aim is to attract the rich and famous from around the world. Yes, I can imagine a person with wealth like that flying in to Hua Hin in the middle of a pandemic. What could possibly go wrong 🤔

• Haha 2
  • Cool 1

17 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I think the aim is to attract the rich and famous from around the world. Yes, I can imagine a person with wealth like that flying in to Hua Hin in the middle of a pandemic. What could possibly go wrong 🤔

Yes they may dream that but guess it may not happen as the rich and famous generally are not stupid.

Hua Hin is a nice seaside town. I have visited there. But I am seeing the eagerness to open up, could end in disastrous consequences for the local people. I am hearing too many headlines around Thailand of first dose percentages being touted as cause to reopen. For most vaccines (apart from Johnson and Johnson) that two doses are required to reach maximum effectiveness and only after two week after the second dose. It's a common trend in vaccination reporting around the world. Don't be fooled! Two doses and two weeks. See what the percentage really is. It's the only figure worth reporting or being informed by.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Or, have very large brown envelopes to bypass the bridge check.

Oh yes, can't do anything without a 'brown envelope' in Thailand, now can you?

Just my opinion, not intended for any argument.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EdwardV said:

Locals Thais didn’t travel to Phuket in numbers before the lockdown, why would now be any different? If Phuket really wants to improve the number of tourists visiting. Take those same proposed requirements for locals and apply them to incoming foreigners. 

Because a lot of them could catch the vaccine? THEY can travel, others cant!

Right now, over the last year, Phuket is prpbably as foreigner free, as possible! And think about Insta, FB: I am on Phuket, the locked island in the south, right now

3 hours ago, Soidog said:

If that’s the case then surely those people who can get around restrictions are already travelling to Phuket? Even the Thais won’t be looking to party in Phuket while the place is so heavily restricted in terms of nightlife and entertainment. 

Honestly?

Passing by Kata beach on weekends, with about 80% Thai people at the beaches and on the surt boards and  seeing at some of that days every 2 plate is either Bangkok or other provinces, counting in the many NEW Porsch, AMG, "normal" S-class, BMW and other "not so common" SUV and high end sedans, you can spot some days, I really have my doubts, that the bridge is closed like published. There comes this "report" to mind, that there is less check, on the points, as promissed. Which, of course, officials denied and warned of consequences, to spread "wrong' facts.

But of course, I can be truly wrong and all this cars are rentals, and all the renters are foreign tourists. Just looking like local (but older) lads and gals. who knows?

Just I also saw at least on McLaren on the Island, a couple of Bentleys, the latest Porsch Cayenne Turbo hybrid in different colors, ... So yes, the rich did travel/are travelling to Phuket!

Also the Lambo /Supercar parade, some time ago, was NOT from Phuket. But before the real closure, I think. That was, while still "6 day before arrival" testing was enough. 

12 hours ago, Guest1 said:

You might be wrong with that.

These days, you see a lot of red plated cars, or "not the usual vios/hillux" but with Bangkok / no phuket plates on the island. 

There are lots of 'vip', with enough money, to go to Phuket. And, of course, with connections, to jump the vaccination line. Or the test/check at the bridge!

A ticking time bomb  potentially! Hey Hoe.