Do I need permission to leave Thailand with my daughter?

Hi,

Sunday I will leave Thailand. I will go home to The Netherlands for a couple of weeks. I have a girlfriend, and we have a daughter together. My daughter is almost 2 years old, and she has a Thai and Dutch passport.

Do I need a permission (written, signed, document) from my girlfriend to leave the country with our daughter?

I know in The Netherlands I will probably not be able to leave the country without permission.

If so, where and how to get this?

Did your Daughter arrive on any Passport ?

If its her first time out of the Country , you will need to get official permission, from a Court , I think .

Thailand is quite strict with Human trafficking laws and its advisable for your GF to go to the airport as well 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, dimitri said:

Hi,

Sunday I will leave Thailand. I will go home to The Netherlands for a couple of weeks. I have a girlfriend, and we have a daughter together. My daughter is almost 2 years old, and she has a Thai and Dutch passport.

Do I need a permission (written, signed, document) from my girlfriend to leave the country with our daughter?

I know in The Netherlands I will probably not be able to leave the country without permission.

If so, where and how to get this?

A news organization (which were no longer allowed to link) had an article about a Chinese man who was detained at the airport for bringing a baby boy outside of the country. Although he had “documents,” immigration (I assume it was them) noticed they were forgeries. 

Better to play it safe. Bring all documents that proves she is your daughter along with maybe a letter? from your girlfriend granting you permission to take her out of the country. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 9S_ said:

A news organization (which were no longer allowed to link) had an article about a Chinese man who was detained at the airport for bringing a baby boy outside of the country. Although he had “documents,” immigration (I assume it was them) noticed they were forgeries. 

Better to play it safe. Bring all documents that proves she is your daughter along with maybe a letter? from your girlfriend granting you permission to take her out of the country. 

I dont think that a letter would be sufficient and as he isnt married , he has no legal right to any Parental rights , he would need to go to Court to obtain Parental rights 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, dimitri said:

in addition to this other stuff have her standing by on the phone if they need to call her. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 9S_ said:

Some great advice. Better to have more than less!

First time the wife, myself and my Thai Step-daughter flew out to Singapore, my wife was stopped at passport control at the airport because she had a new passport in her new married surname but my step-daughter's was in the maiden surname of my wife.

It wasn't until my wife remember that she had the old passport and a copy of her marriage certificate with her that they allowed her to pass. They were very insistent on proof to leave Thailand.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Fluke said:

Did your Daughter arrive on any Passport ?

If its her first time out of the Country , you will need to get official permission, from a Court , I think .

Thailand is quite strict with Human trafficking laws and its advisable for your GF to go to the airport as well 

She was born in BKK...

4 hours ago, Fluke said:

I dont think that a letter would be sufficient and as he isnt married , he has no legal right to any Parental rights , he would need to go to Court to obtain Parental rights 

According to "Airports of Thailand" https://www.airportthai.co.th/en/children-traveling-without-parents/   underage children can even travel without parents. There is even a handling fee of $30 for children traveling alone ;-)

I hoped to get some answers from people who did the same. But I think it is better to call immigration.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/31/2021 at 10:03 AM, dimitri said:

In case someone ever wants to do the same...  Here is my experience:

After checking in we were allowed to use the priority lane at passport control. 

I was immediately taken to another desk where a friendly lady asked where we were going, how long and some other things that I have forgotten. I replied that we were going to visit relatives in the Netherlands for a few weeks. And told that I had the phone number of my girlfriend who was still waiting at the airport to give an additional explanation if necessary.

The lady said that everything was fine and that it was not necessary. Maybe it helped that my daughter also has my last name. And maybe my very reliable looks played a part ;)  But everything went very smooth.  In the end it all took 5 minutes. I've never gotten through passport control so quickly.

My daughter's Thai passport now has a stamp with the date and the flight number written on it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dimitri said:

I was immediately taken to another desk where a friendly lady asked where we were going, how long and some other things that I have forgotten. I replied that we were going to visit relatives in the Netherlands for a few weeks. And told that I had the phone number of my girlfriend who was still waiting at the airport to give an additional explanation if necessary.

The lady said that everything was fine and that it was not necessary. Maybe it helped that my daughter also has my last name. And maybe my very reliable looks played a part ;)  But everything went very smooth.  In the end it all took 5 minutes. I've never gotten through passport control so quickly.

My daughter's Thai passport now has a stamp with the date and the flight number written on it.

Im glad it worked out OK for you

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dimitri said:

That's good news

Regarding the last name.

It always confused me when guys didn't have their wife change their last name to theirs.

I'm not saying that for any chauvinistic reasons but if you are going to have a life outside of Thailand, it just makes things so much easier and has nothing but benefits to it.

We are doing the same now and changing my adult stepson last name to mine(his request but something I 100% agree with )

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 8/31/2021 at 6:29 AM, dimitri said:

According to "Airports of Thailand" https://www.airportthai.co.th/en/children-traveling-without-parents/   underage children can even travel without parents. There is even a handling fee of $30 for children traveling alone ;-)

I hoped to get some answers from people who did the same. But I think it is better to call immigration.

What could possibly go wrong? tenor.gif.3563d3aaea35f21e87968d7623449e69.gif

On 9/17/2021 at 11:12 PM, Marc26 said:

That's good news

Regarding the last name.

It always confused me when guys didn't have their wife change their last name to theirs.

I'm not saying that for any chauvinistic reasons but if you are going to have a life outside of Thailand, it just makes things so much easier and has nothing but benefits to it.

We are doing the same now and changing my adult stepson last name to mine(his request but something I 100% agree with )

How do you go about changing the wife's last name to your own?

20 minutes ago, Tea said:

How do you go about changing the wife's last name to your own?

Are you in Thailand?

When we got married, my wife went to her home province of Petchaburi the next day with our marriage certificate and had her ID changed to my last name 

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

Are you in Thailand?

When we got married, my wife went to her home province of Petchaburi the next day with our marriage certificate and had her ID changed to my last name 

Yes, in Thailand...thank you for the information. Do you know what government office she went to?

10 minutes ago, Tea said:

Yes, in Thailand...thank you for the information. Do you know what government office she went to?

Well she's Thai and it is 11:15am so she's still sleeping! (She actually worked 2 double shifts 2 days in a row)

So I will ask her when she wakes up

But it was whatever office they go to get a Thai ID card