News Forum - 7 monks receive suspended jail term, 10,000 baht fine from Chiang Mai court

Thaiger

7 monks and 1 friend who were found enjoying food and alcoholic drinks Sunday night, 4 of whom were abbots, have been defrocked from the monkhood, fined, and given suspended jail sentences for breaking Covid containment measures. Police, who had received complaints from residents, raided a location for monks at Wat Pansao in Chiang Mai. Bangkok Post says the monks were enjoying a generous spread of food, such as roasted pork, which they paired with beer. Following the monk bust and ruined dinner party, the 8 defendants were indicted in Chiang Mai court. They faced charges of violating the Disease […]

The post 7 monks receive suspended jail term, 10,000 baht fine from Chiang Mai court appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

No problem for them now as no doubt the hundreds of millions of baht they thankfully took from those donating  seeking a better after life will now see them do very well in their own current lives. Thank Buddha for heavenly mercies.

They were given 15 days in jail, which was suspended for 1 year, and 10,00 baht fine. 

Not sure what currency that fine is, but it can't be baht. And this is yesterday's news again.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

finally, this is first time i read that anyone was charged

They obviously prayed to the wrong god. Or did not have any brown envelopes on there orange robes.

• Haha 2

Few blokes enjoying a beer, whats wrong with that?

Damn disgrace thats whats wrong with that, poor people handing over their hard earned cash, and these unholy scroats just using the money buy booze.

Edited by colinneil
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Fluke said:

I do think that even Monks deserve at least one day off per week, one day where they can let their hair down and relax a bit 

I agree, but monks 'letting their hair down' might prove somewhat difficult...

Thai monk brought to heel after anti-Muslim comments

31 minutes ago, Fluke said:

I do think that even Monks deserve at least one day off per week, one day where they can let their hair down and relax a bit 

Everyone deserves a day off to drink beer and eat roast pork BUT this is Covid era, they shouldn't be gathering. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gummy said:

No problem for them now as no doubt the hundreds of millions of baht they thankfully took from those donating  seeking a better after life will now see them do very well in their own current lives. Thank Buddha for heavenly mercies.

Become a profit-driven occupation, less a humble following.

Ain't it grand.

This religion is no different from any other, They think they are above the law.  Just another hiding place for criminals, rapists and pedifiles as well as social drop outs and misfits.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 9S_ said:

So they locked the monks, who were having dinner amongst themselves totaling only 7 monks, 2 days before the country re-opens??

Never mind breaking covid regs, monks are not supposed to eat in the evenings anyway.

So not only broke covid regs, but broke the monks code also.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Never mind breaking covid regs, monks are not supposed to eat in the evenings anyway.

So not only broke covid regs, but broke the monks code also.

Monks code - ha ha! That must be followed just as much as people stopping at red lights - they're both 'just advisory'.

edit: Or perhaps they're on a different ime zone? Celestial time?

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, 9S_ said:

So they locked the monks, who were having dinner amongst themselves totaling only 7 monks, 2 days before the country re-opens??

Suspended sentence, no jail time.

We have to agree to, that everyone needs a day off - the Monks surely as well. When that is said, the occupation of being Monk does not allow for throwing everything overboard, neither can the farmer leave his herd for having the weekend off.

This may supply a good laugh for some (I had a laugh as well), but to the local population it is much more severe, as the Monks should serve as the good example from Buddhism.

Serving the community with inspiration and as the eventual last backstop, it is extremely important, that faith in the Temples/monks is conserved and that a few bad apples in the barrel is not allowed to ruin the whole barrel - so big respect for the main Abbot in Chiang Mai, the he disrobed them and made it publicly.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Fluke said:

They'd need more than one day off a week to let their hair down.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Rain said:

Become a profit-driven occupation, less a humble following.

Isn’t it that they are a prophet driven organisation now becoming a profit one, where they can let their hair down and party on dude.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Quartz said:

We have to agree to, that everyone needs a day off - the Monks surely as well. When that is said, the occupation of being Monk does not allow for throwing everything overboard, neither can the farmer leave his herd for having the weekend off.

This may supply a good laugh for some (I had a laugh as well), but to the local population it is much more severe, as the Monks should serve as the good example from Buddhism.

Serving the community with inspiration and as the eventual last backstop, it is extremely important, that faith in the Temples/monks is conserved and that a few bad apples in the barrel is not allowed to ruin the whole barrel - so big respect for the main Abbot in Chiang Mai, the he disrobed them and made it publicly.

An enjoyable little read . . . and your debut post, too, so thanks for that . . . I'll watch out for more!

Hello, Quartz and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

12 minutes ago, Quartz said:

And if you think that there are only a few "bad apples" in the Thai Monkhood then clearly you are under a series state of delusion.

5 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Isn’t it that they are a prophet driven organisation now becoming a profit one, where they can let their hair down and party on dude.

'Prophet driven organisation' . . . that gets my JOTD vote . . . classic!

3 minutes ago, gummy said:
9 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

They'd need more than one day off a week to let their hair down.

once it grows that is

I've got it sussed:
A wig for those days off, allowing them to blend in, drink and shag with impunity. Probably a false beard and moustache too.

• Haha 2

I'm not Buddhist. The monks have an esteemed status among Bhuddists. Not only Buddhists but also by people who aren't Buddhist, but out of respect for Thai culture, show respect to the Monks. As in every faith, there are ones who are genuine and there are those who aren't. Their deeds betray their true aspirations. But writing off all Bhuddist Monks because of the actions of a few......

It's the same for many religious people.... many do so much good in the world. Some do so much damage! But I think it's never right to "tar everyone with the same brush". The actions of a few, shouldn't be the end of so many who do so much good and devote their lives to the service of others....