News Forum - Thailand tourism officials call for restrictions on Indian tourists to be lifted

Thaiger

I should also add that allowing Indian business travellers will really help local software development companies who have seen massive talent shortages due to these restrictions.

2 hours ago, Guest1 said:

Yep, that sounds like Indians.

I can recall, on evenings sitting at Pattaya beach road, groups of Indian men bargaining with ONE lady for a group discount! 4 or 6 for the price of 2 or 3. And assumingly staying all together in one room anyway!

As an Indian, I can vouch for that because even I have seen this kind of incident in the infamous Pattaya Beach Road. lol 

Two types of Indians visit Thailand one in the group the ones you mentioned and the other solo like me who stays in resorts or hotels or even sometimes in hostels too.

So let's not generalised like every Indian visiting Thailand is cheap Charlie.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Guevara said:

Sorry but I fail to accept any figures India submit. Massaging figures is one thing, blatant BS is something else.

It's okay brother. You don't have to believe. Not going to argue over this 

44 minutes ago, Guevara said:

The unfortunate adverse reaction to Sinovac 555

1 hour ago, AdamX said:

I should also add that allowing Indian business travellers will help local software development companies who have seen massive talent shortages due to these restrictions.

Talent shortage? 

Local Thailand IT companies didn't adopt work from home culture? 

2 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Wow. And here in Thailand because of them purposely continually dropping the ball in favor of their messed up plan, one can see it as walking backwards. 

They need to vaccinate their population at least 70% that should be their(govt) first priority before opening so-called sandbox 

BTW. Are people in Thailand preferring Sinovac more than AstraZeneca or they don't have any choice? 

13 minutes ago, Ajstyle said:

Talent shortage? 

Local Thailand IT companies didn't adopt work from home culture? 

Not sure what you mean.

Before covid, I was able to recruit top notch talent from India to our offices in Bangkok.

This has not been a possibility or been extremely difficult due to travel restrictions which has delayed if not derailed many projects and also revenue

4 minutes ago, AdamX said:

Not sure what you mean.

Before covid, I was able to recruit top-notch talent from India to our offices in Bangkok.

This has not been a possibility or been extremely difficult due to travel restrictions which have delayed if not derailed many projects and also revenue

Okay so from WFH (work from home) culture I meant to say lots of IT companies in India like TCS, IBM, Salesforce, INFOSYS etc have adopted this work from home culture where employees are working from their home rather than working from the office. 

Out of curiosity, what's your company name?

5 hours ago, Ajstyle said:

Okay so from WFH (work from home) culture I meant to say lots of IT companies in India like TCS, IBM, Salesforce, INFOSYS etc have adopted this work from home culture where employees are working from their home rather than working from the office. 

Out of curiosity, what's your company name?

WFH is always a distant second for almost all companies who require creativity and collaboration over cost cutting.

Its definitely possible for maintenance or mundane tasks, but when developing at the cutting edge where ideas have to be discussed, its a major hurdle.

There is nothing like face to face time

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AdamX said:

WFH is always a distant second for almost all companies who require creativity and collaboration over cost cutting.

Its definitely possible for maintenance or mundane tasks, but when developing at the cutting edge where ideas have to be discussed, its a major hurdle.

There is nothing like face to face time

definitely a hurdle when it comes to brainstorming and projects implementation. What are the overcomes to this?

6 hours ago, Ajstyle said:

They need to vaccinate their population at least 70% that should be their(govt) first priority before opening so-called sandbox 

BTW. Are people in Thailand preferring Sinovac more than AstraZeneca or they don't have any choice? 

Not wanted at all is Sinovac or any Chinese made one, but I guess Sinopharm is at least acceptable if have to. Both are or were being forced in a way for different reasons, but oddly the government keeps on buying Sinovac against the peoples wishes. There is the hugest Thai Chinese corporation that has invested in this one. The people prefer Pfizer or Moderna and since Astrazeneca is effective they can accept this. But for AZ we cannot talk about as is a taboo and critical subject for who it is connected to is being manufactured domestically. But Pfizer, Moderna are the 2 top ones but for some reason they had not been approved time after time after time and so could not be imported in with other things pooping up, and then only until it seemed the excrement started hitting the epidemic fan hard in positive cases and deaths climbing was when it looked as finally can be imported. But there is just not vaccine and that is where it is at here. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ajstyle said:

Roughly:

Government decided to produce AZ locally, but the facility was not production ready until middle of 2021.

So they bought Sinovac. Controversial as only 51% effective 2-3 weeks after second shot and not working against Delta.

Then started giving cocktail with AZ to compensate for badly working Sinovac, but that's not properly researched so people are test-subjects.

AZ is meanwhile not used on under-60's anymore in Europe as it had too many side-effects.

Then the USA donated 1.5m+1m Pfizer doses to Thailand, distributing now for booster shots and several other groups.

GPO has now allowed Moderna to be bought for private hospitals.

Government has also ordered Pfizer but because it was ordered only recently, they are at the back of the queue and won't arrive soon.

And still hoping for more donations...

Okay, that's a rough timeline. But in short, the Thai would like Pfizer like the rest of the world, but that was last on the governments list and they have to take what's available until more Pfizer arrives.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ajstyle said:

[...]

Afaik: Vo choice. You get what is offered!

Tourism represents approx 20% of Thai GDP under normal circumstances. I can understand wanting to open up however as the article suggests, "10% of 1.4billion people in India are fully vaccinated. If you resume tourism with India Thailand will risk and explosion in numbers given vaccine levels are sooolow. Better to resume travel with countries that have 70 - 80% vaccination rates i.e. Israel, UK, USA etc.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

1 minute ago, Gomez said:

Tourism represents approx 20% of Thai GDP under normal circumstances. I can understand wanting to open up however as the article suggests, "10% of 1.4billion people in India are fully vaccinated. If you resume tourism with India Thailand will risk and explosion in numbers given vaccine levels are sooolow. Better to resume travel with countries that have 70 - 80% vaccination rates i.e. Israel, UK, USA etc.

Exactly Gomez. But it is even worse!

Because very few tourists will actually come as streets are empty and more than half the businesses have closed permanently. It's hardly the place to go for a happy holiday. So there will not be numbers like before and for a small number and limited financial gain: Why even consider the risk?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bob20 said:

Exactly Gomez. But it is even worse!

Because very few tourists will actually come as streets are empty and more than half the businesses have closed permanently. It's hardly the place to go for a happy holiday. So there will not be numbers like before and for a small number and limited financial gain: Why even consider the risk?

Very true and I can not see anyone from Europe wanting to come to Thailand when they can have a more carefree, less restrictive and no doubt safer holiday in places like Greece etc. at minimal cost

On 8/30/2021 at 6:11 PM, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

Great! Now I'm craving four fried chickens and a coke.

Im sticking with my dry white toast, Jake....

On 8/31/2021 at 2:10 PM, Tim said:

Hooray, Big money spender are coming!

I was once contacted on Airbnb by an Indian tourist whom was enquiring to rent my 35 sqm condo, he asked if there was a limit of people that could stay, turned out they were a group of 5 men that wanted to stay in this small condo.

I can only guess the cost and hassles of 4 PCR tests will discourage them, like the rest of us.

I've always been right on that. I once had a booking for 2 couples in a 2 bedroom villa, 9 of them turned up, they said it's ok we'll sleep on the floor, yeah right

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/31/2021 at 11:22 PM, Ajstyle said:

As an Indian, I can vouch for that because even I have seen this kind of incident in the infamous Pattaya Beach Road. lol 

Two types of Indians visit Thailand one in the group the ones you mentioned and the other solo like me who stays in resorts or hotels or even sometimes in hostels too.

So let's not generalised like every Indian visiting Thailand is cheap Charlie.

Yes you are right. These people think only European or American people can increase their GDP but they forgot that India in top 3 in last 3 years before pandemic. 

Edited by HKD
spelling mistake
  • Like 1