News Forum - Mahidol University’s Faculty of Dentistry patents mouthwash they claim reduces chances of spreading Covid

Thaiger

There may be a new way to reduce your risk of contracting Covid besides washing your hands, social distancing, and following Covid safe sex guidelines. Mahidol University’s Faculty of Dentistry has recently patented a mouthwash that reduces the user’s chances of spreading Covid by targeting their saliva. The mouthwash was created by researchers at Mahidol University’s Faculty of Tropical Medicine in order to curb the spread of Covid. The mouthwash has a safe amount of hydrogen peroxide as an anti-viral agent as well as other ingredients that won’t irritate the oral cavity, says Dr Surakit Wisutthiwatthanakorn, the director of Mahidol […]

The post Mahidol University’s Faculty of Dentistry patents mouthwash they claim reduces chances of spreading Covid appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I'll keep an open mind as they didn't publish the concentration of H2O2.

But it's carcinogenic and it's banned in concentrations high enough to be effective in the West.

And secondly, if you gargle with it, it reaches the mouth and part of the throat. It doesn't reach the nose and nasopharynx (that's where the air goes when you breathe through your nose) and lungs where most of the virus settles.

So, it's a nice idea, but it won't be effective.

• Like 5

I thought most of this comes out of your lungs.. And how about when your vocal chords vibrate making an aerosol.. this will not reach there

18 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

I thought most of this comes out of your lungs.. And how about when your vocal chords vibrate making an aerosol.. this will not reach there

Yup, exactly what I said.

My guess is that they are looking for a patent on a product that does not contain ingredients that need licensing.

That way they can make a cheap product and sell it to the masses without having to show that it works by medical standards.

And make lots of money from unsuspecting laypeople, who wrongly think they will be safer.

(I love examples. This is like having smelly feet and washing 2 toes. Yes, you have to admit that now it's cleaner, but it's not effective as they still smell! 👃).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"41 units will still be alive"  

and you need only 1 to be infected... wonder how much they asking for it.. I am very skeptical about these things is like selling wonder oil... ($$$)

2 hours ago, Bob20 said:

I'll keep an open mind as they didn't publish the concentration of H2O2.

But it's carcinogenic and it's banned in concentrations high enough to be effective in the West.

And secondly, if you gargle with it, it reaches the mouth and part of the throat. It doesn't reach the nose and nasopharynx (that's where the air goes when you breathe through your nose) and lungs where most of the virus settles.

So, it's a nice idea, but it won't be effective.

I would have thought that would be reasonably obvious to most people.

Since you  constantly produce saliva, you'd have to equally constantly be rinsing your mouth out for it to be effective. 😢

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Paco said:

"41 units will still be alive"  

and you need only 1 to be infected... wonder how much they asking for it.. I am very skeptical about these things is like selling wonder oil... ($$$)

41 in the mouth

And 1.000.000 in the lungs while you mostly breathe through your nose 🙄

Great help 😉

• Haha 1

Current estimates for the number of virions during peak infection time are generally between 10^9 and 10^11. While virions in saliva may have somewhat more luck at "exploring the neighborhood", 10^5 isn't impressive at all when put into that perspective. However, assuming that the h2o2 etc. have no negative side-effects, I can imagine it having some beneficial effect. Right now, I would be very surprised if that effect is measurable/significant, but for the time being (possibly forever) I'll keep an open mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paco said:

" 41 unités seront encore en vie "  

et vous n'avez besoin que d'un seul pour être infecté... je me demande combien ils le demandent... Je suis très sceptique à propos de ces choses, c'est comme vendre de l'huile miracle... ($$$)

it takes several thousand to contaminate

Edited by vvdb.fr
  • Thanks 1

When we speak, virus goes through the mouth ... 

It kills the viruses which are stored in the mouth, the news which arrive there from the lungs when we speak: no.  

Should we do a wash every minutes?

Honestly? There is not really a need for a new mouthwash!

It is at least ONE possibility, that even the common mouthwash from the convenient store next corner will reduce that virus load in your throat area. At least for a while.

My dentist is asking  people to gargle before he starts to work.

He did NOT do that before covid.  Not sure he will stop, in case covid becomes a flu, once ;-)

And for the asymtomatic vaccinated people, who can have a much bigger load in their throat, as the unvaccinated will have, without getting sick at least, that should be a regular thing to do. Just my2c

2 hours ago, vvdb.fr said:

It kills the viruses which are stored in the mouth, the news which arrive there from the lungs when we speak: no.  

Need masks with a built-in vaporizer. "Delivers Fresh Breath with Every Breath..."

10 hours ago, Thaiger said:

There may be a new way to reduce your risk of contracting Covid besides washing your hands, social distancing, and following Covid safe sex guidelines. Mahidol University’s Faculty of Dentistry has recently patented a mouthwash that reduces the user’s chances of spreading Covid by targeting their saliva. The mouthwash was created by researchers at Mahidol University’s Faculty of Tropical Medicine in order to curb the spread of Covid. The mouthwash has a safe amount of hydrogen peroxide as an anti-viral agent as well as other ingredients that won’t irritate the oral cavity, says Dr Surakit Wisutthiwatthanakorn, the director of Mahidol […]

The post Mahidol University’s Faculty of Dentistry patents mouthwash they claim reduces chances of spreading Covid appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I read on Facebook that there will be research published soon that will recommend that people should limit the amount of breathing that they do to reduce the risks of catching Covid. While it is understood that people cannot completely stop breathing, they are recommending that you only inhale when you are at home or not around other people. When you are out in public, they recommended that you use that time for exhaling. Hopefully everyone around you is following the same practice. So to summarize, stop inhaling and then exhaling. Wait until it is safe to inhale, otherwise just exhale. 

Edited by Lawyers_Guns_and_Money
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

I read on Facebook that there will be research published soon that will recommend that people should limit the amount of breathing that they do to reduce the risks of catching Covid. While it is understood that people cannot completely stop breathing, they are recommending that you only inhale when you are at home or not around other people. When you are out in public, they recommended that you use that time for exhaling. Hopefully everyone around you is following the same practice. So to summarize, stop inhaling and then exhaling. Wait until it is safe to inhale, otherwise just exhale. 

Yes, same as landing fees for planes at airports. You only have to pay for the landing, but you can do as many-take-offs as you like for free 🤣

9 hours ago, vvdb.fr said:

When you cough, sneeze, speak, shout, sing etc. the droplets that contain a high viral loads come from from nasopharynx and oropharynx and lungs, not mainly from the mouth.

Many mouthwashes kill virusses in your mouth.  Hydrogen peroxide. Certain Listerine flavours also

All are available over the counter or in Supermarkets.

Anyhow most times the virus is spread by speaking and how can you rinse your mouth before you speak

The virus is also in your nose and throat.

The one way to contain the virus is by being vaccinated. My one friend in my home country has been vaccinateda few months ago and now has covid

He is not even sick and did not know he had covid until he went for a test at a Dr he knows due to a slight cough is not even isolating

And that "He is not even sick and did not know he had covid until he went for a test at a Dr he knows due to a slight cough is not even isolating" is the number one reson, fully vaccinated people are the super spreaders, these days!

13 hours ago, semrand753 said:

Current estimates for the number of virions during peak infection time are generally between 10^9 and 10^11. While virions in saliva may have somewhat more luck at "exploring the neighborhood", 10^5 isn't impressive at all when put into that perspective. However, assuming that the h2o2 etc. have no negative side-effects, I can imagine it having some beneficial effect. Right now, I would be very surprised if that effect is measurable/significant, but for the time being (possibly forever) I'll keep an open mind.

Yes, I agree that an open mind is the best on this 'funny/sensational' issue. And sorry I missed your debut post, the other week . . . one of those long coffee-breaks, methinks.

Hello, semrand753 and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

1 hour ago, Guest1 said:

And that "He is not even sick and did not know he had covid until he went for a test at a Dr he knows due to a slight cough is not even isolating" is the number one reson, fully vaccinated people are the super spreaders, these days!

No, spreaders, not super-spreaders. Their viral load is up to 40% lower because of the vaccine.

And if everyone is vaccinated, it doesn't matter so much as very few people will get sick.

The problems start if you don't isolate if not everyone is vaccinated, like in Thailand.

Then it is pure stupidity to allow travel and ease restrictions for the vaccinated, because they then spread it to the vulnerable unvaccinated.

happy that Thai people will be using a mouthwash, it might help a hygiene, don't see how it will help to fight a virus which is airborne 

E9zQTtOX0Ackgzb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

Yes, because your saliva only comes in your mouth once a day and not continuously  🤣🤣🤣  And that disinfecting bodily fluids will stop an airborne disease 🤣🤣🤣  Next they will be selling beach front condos in Chiang Mai - to reduce the risk of box jelly stings.  

• Haha 1