News Forum - Cambodia upset over Thai temple’s resemblance to Angkor Wat

Thaiger

6 hours ago, King Cotton said:

So much interesting info there, @kerryd, that will keep me engaged till lunchtime, at least . . . thanks a wot for that!

Yep.

Those that might have a keen fascination and curiosity regarding this period, might find the exploration of the Pre-Angkor civilisations to be just as stimulating. Doesn't receive the romantic attention nor well publicized - yet historians, archaeologists and assorted types are uncovering new evidence/findings of the wisdom and advancement of the so called Pre-Angkor circle.

On 8/30/2021 at 9:17 AM, AussieBob said:

I will keep that in mind about when to go to visit - not sure when those others went there but maybe they went in the 'peak season'.   

Since there are pictures inserted here , I will add some, too:

And even if NOW (Covid times) would be great, I went there, some years ago, in July :

A lot less people!

And this is the big temple, 120 km north east:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/30/2021 at 12:46 PM, Guest1 said:

Maybe a misunderstanding:

Right now = covid times = very few people!

Yep - I am not in Thailand at the moment  = Australia (and waiting)

On 8/30/2021 at 12:59 PM, BlueSphinx said:

Phanom Rung is indeed very nice (visited it twice), but imagine a park with several of those same-size or larger ancient Khmer temples, and tens of other smaller ones, and then you get an impression of the Angkor Wat temple-complex.  

The Angkor Wat itself is comparable with the Taj Mahal, in a sense that it is swamped with tourist visiting and of course the souvenir and snack vendors.  But personally apart from its sheer size which is amazing, the Angkor Wat itself is by far not the most beautiful or impressive temple there.  

When visiting Siem Reap you should go at the low holiday-season time in China, otherwise the main temples would be invaded by chinese tour-buses.  If you picked a time to be there together when our China friends have their holidays, you would need to visit the main temples in the very early morning or late afternoon hours.  And visit the smaller - often even more beautiful interesting - temples during peak visitor time at the Big Ones. 

Note: I have very good memories of Siem Reap, as I stayed at an amazingly cheap and wonderful boutique hotel, decorated with Thai/Khmer artwork.  I have had the pleasure/opportunity to visit many many countries, and that hotel would be my #1 pick for value for money (23 US $ dollar for a nice aircon double-room, good copious breakfast choice included).  Very friendly, helpful staff, good and non-expensive kitchen (better than in town), and with a nice outdoor swimming pool where you could also relax and have a cocktail or beer from the bar.  The Hotel is closed now, but I do hope that it re-opens when Cambodia opens again for tourists without all the restrictions.

Cheers @BlueSphinx That is great advice mate - thanks, much appreciated.  When we get back to live in Thailand, a trip to both Angkor Wat and Phanom Rung is on the list.  Probably go to the Thai place first for a day or two, and then take a longer trip to the 'real thing'.  If I remember, I will PM you for the name of that hotel. Your words make me feel sad a bit too - the wife and I used to travel all over Thailand, and one thing we both loved was to visit the Wats - I have a million photos.  But it makes me sad about all those lovely places we stayed at, who were genuine family places and they were lovely people. Sure, we stayed at a few rip-offs, but we always preferred to give our money to the 'real' Thai people, rather than the already rich hotel chain owners.

On 8/30/2021 at 4:13 PM, Stonker said:

There's really no answer to that 😢

It's like saying someone from London isn't a Londoner or English but British 😂

Wow. No chance of them appreciating Torquay then ...

Calm down stonker and have a good lie down mate.

12 hours ago, Guest1 said:

And even if NOW (Covid times) would be great, I went there, some years ago, in July :

A lot less people!

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

The people I mentioned before visited in the peak tourists season - November to February.  Clearly going there around July (after Covid over) is the better time of the year to visit.   

10 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Calm down stonker and have a good lie down mate.

Calm down?    The reference to Torquay, to put things into perspective, may have eluded you! 😴

22 hours ago, Guest1 said:

A lot less people!

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

I last went there in 1992 - not many people!

• Haha 1

To come across too pedantic, but the terms Cambodians and Cambodia are fabricated and Anglicized/Franco bastardizations of the truer form. 

....and have little to do with anything.