Appalling English Teaching

Bluesofa

2 hours ago, gummy said:

So I have a laugh with them and show them or rather tell them how to pronounce those words correctly.  At first they were rather shy, well their friends were, but now after such a long time off school they approach me with no qualms. So in my view the local village schools was just that, a local village school. They now however have mastered a few words in English correctly and overcome their shyness, built up some confidence so that's a plus.

I assume they can all swear like troopers by now then!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i have a friend in Surin who asks me to help her with her eight year old son's English homework. she sends photos of the homework to me on LINE app so i can do it. 

'so I can do it'  Learn Engrish by proxy - ha ha!
If you make a misteak will you be caned? I always had to pay extra for that.

36 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

'so I can do it'  Learn Engrish by proxy - ha ha!
If you make a misteak will you be caned? I always had to pay extra for that.

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

I assume they can all swear like troopers by now then!

No I had to stop using my normal vocabulary because I got embarrassed when walking out anywhere to be greeted with "Hello, how are you wanker " 😂

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gummy said:

No I had to stop using my normal vocabulary because I got embarrassed when walking out anywhere to be greeted with "Hello, how are you wanker " 😂

Ah, it was you in the 7 Eleven then. I heard one of the staff say that once, but I didn't bother looking. I assumed it was a run-of-the-mill drunk ferang.

15 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Classic. 

One could credit the genius of the script writing, yet no one else could of pulled off the role as brilliantly as John Gielgud.  

50 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

My wife speaks English with a Mancunian accent, how bad is that?

Just stop complaining and thank your lucky stars she doesn't talk with a Liverpudlian accent 😂

8 minutes ago, gummy said:

Just stop complaining and thank your lucky stars she doesn't talk with a Liverpudlian accent 😂

That reminds of a funny incident.

I was running a TEFL training course in Hat Yai, and each evening we offered free classes to locals, who acted as "guinea pigs" for the trainees, as they worked on their classroom delivery and such.

We had a gentleman from Liverpool in one course.  On his first night in front of the "students", he began the instructions for his planned activity.

The best student in the class turned to me (the other trainees and I sat behind) and asked me, "Mr. Stretch, what is he saying?" 

I smiled at her and said, "I have no idea." It sounded like a foreign language. None of us understood a word.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, gummy said:

That was my ex wife

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Too much watching Corrie.

I haven't seen corrie for 25 years there was not many Manc accents that I can remember, Shameless would have been the one

On 8/29/2021 at 6:12 PM, HappyExpat said:

You pay for what you get.

The parents aren’t  getting what they pay for. Someone’s making a lot of money plus the paid incentive to get your child into the school in the first place. All that said schools around the world are way below expectations. Not sure woke the problem is. 

21 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

misteak

Really?? You must have gone to the same school 555

55729A68-129C-416E-9D2F-051088A077CD.thumb.jpeg.b8e5d1a24d157459703205311773baf5.jpeg

Edited by Longtimefarang
Forgot photo
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Longtimefarang said:

The parents aren’t  getting what they pay for. Someone’s making a lot of money plus the paid incentive to get your child into the school in the first place. All that said schools around the world are way below expectations. Not sure woke the problem is. 

Every Thai school I've worked at was rife with corruption. One director in particular in charge of about a half dozen schools suffered "embezzlement from a bursar" to the tune of about 3 million baht at two of the schools (that I'm aware of). Each time the bursar was confronted with the crime, admitted it, then promised to return it 50k baht per month. No police involved, this was a plain coverup. Even at the lowest level - I was sitting next to a Thai purchaser at an outside event who needed to buy some plastic chairs at 99 baht per. She asked me if I had a calculator. I told her at 99 baht each it was easy enough to do in your head. She replied that she needed to add her personal markup to the total.

Yes, everyone is getting a piece of the pie at the expense of the students and the parents.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Longtimefarang said:
1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

you are misquoting me. bluesofa said this.

Ooops. 

This looks like another misteak - well done!

• Haha 1
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Not everybody is as sad as you watching Corrie, good gawd.Yes It Is GIF

We're not all movie stars like you, appearing in Corrie. Some of us have to make do with watching it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bluesofa said:

We're not all movie stars like you, appearing in Corrie. Some of us have to make do with watching it.

whilst it is sad to think people still watch it then there was nothing sadder than those who had an erection watching  Ena Sharples on set.

image.jpeg.80a226858e850202bd1039bf425eb183.jpeg

1 hour ago, gummy said:

whilst it is sad to think people still watch it then there was nothing sadder than those who had an erection watching  Ena Sharples on set.

image.jpeg.80a226858e850202bd1039bf425eb183.jpeg

I always thought her character would get rid of any erection within seconds.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gummy said:

Don't be too quick, there are these creatures that exist.