News Forum - UK residents cancel reservations, flee Phuket, following Thailand’s inclusion on the “red list”

Thaiger

13 hours ago, RickyCleats said:

I had a very smooth enjoyable sandbox experience. From arriving at the airport, with no more total time to get stamped out than other trips. To completing my 14 days, and  then onward to the north. I'd say I was impressed.

Wow, a happy ex-boxer! So good to hear that and such a contrast from the generally negative reviews that we read. And your debut post, too, so thanks for that!

Hello, RickyCleats and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

13 hours ago, RickyCleats said:

I had a very smooth enjoyable sandbox experience. From arriving at the airport, with no more total time to get stamped out than other trips. To completing my 14 days, and  then onward to the north. I'd say I was impressed.

Nice to hear a success story amidst all the doom and gloom, welcome home.

Edited by DiggR
Mispelling
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Barryj said:

So the UK is best known for James Bond and Jack The Ripper !!

I assure everyone there is much more to my country, although I do enjoy exploring the world and miss doing so at the moment

Barry

A proud patriot adding a happy note to the thread . . . that's good. Sorry I missed your debut post, the other day, but thanks for that!

Hello, Barryj and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

Yes Barrj, we have men in red coats and furry hats who live with the Queen and old red phone boxes too. Everyone gets a photo with one or the other when they visit.

Your right no being able to explore is a drag right now.

• Cool 1

It’s a bit rich for the UK to put Thailand on their red list when it had 33,000 new infections yesterday compared to Thailand’s 16,500.  The suggestion that Thailand’s low vaccination rates compared to the UK’s might create new variants is totally spurious and unproven. But still, the slow vaccination rate in Thailand means that country is still largely in lockdown which is continuing to destroy the country’s jobs and economy and making it a pariah state for international tourists. 

• Cool 1
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, Leeshard said:

It’s a bit rich for the UK to put Thailand on their red list when it had 33,000 new infections yesterday compared to Thailand’s 16,500.  The suggestion that Thailand’s low vaccination rates compared to the UK’s might create new variants is totally spurious and unproven. But still, the slow vaccination rate in Thailand means that country is still largely in lockdown which is continuing to destroy the country’s jobs and economy and making it a pariah state for international tourists. 

Why is it a bit rich ? they had only 48 deaths due to covid yesterday now tell me, or rather read out loud to yourself before posting 3 times, how many did Thailand have for half the number of infections ? Shot your self in both feet there sunshine.

Looks like the Thai Government have bent the rules for Phuket. Infections are well above what the Thai Government considered a "Sandbox stopper". Those coming to holiday in Phuket are tested and fully vaccinated. It seems the Thai Government needs to ramp up its vaccination of the people of Phuket. The people of Phuket would be overjoyed and the sandbox would get back to what it was intended to be. There's no fudging a sandbox. It's either safe for international visitors or it's not. You can already see what the UK thinks of token attempts to make a safe place for tourism in Phuket. You want to attract Russians?? You know what you have to do....

9 hours ago, DiggR said:

Nice to hear a success story amidst all the doom and gloom, welcome home.

Welcome home? He’s a “Tourist” surely? He’s in the Tourist numbers so he must be 😉

7 hours ago, Leeshard said:

A bit rich! It’s all about the numbers you test. The U.K. had 50% more cases but tests 10 x as many people each day. This is the reason the U.K. put Thailand on the red list. They simply don’t test enough to have a real handle on true numbers. For 17,000 read at least 60,000

08F9A7CA-D2F8-4275-83B5-FF62D373C356.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

It's obvious that the Thai government didn't think this one through ! Money spent on the " SAND BOX " from abroad is (1) localized in the southern economic zones .(2) is being rescinded by tourists facing quarantines back home. (3) it ( sand box) was never designed to prepare for surges in Covid cases which could wiped out all monetary/ economic gains through the program and possibly tank the entire scheme ! P.S. GOOD LUCK with the other schemes ahead of you Thailand 🙏🙏

On 8/29/2021 at 4:24 PM, Thaiger said:

Phuket hotels are reporting a rise in cancellations from England

What about all the people canceling their flights out of England? Maybe have an effect on Thai Airlines Direct flights. Maybe canceled flights may start happening, which may impact those still requiring to travel.

On 8/29/2021 at 12:36 PM, Soidog said:

As you are far less likely to need hospitalisation if vaccinated, then the solution is vaccinate people and then learn to live with Covid as we do flu. The problem in the next year or so will be the impact on individual factories and industries. As even vaccinated people can catch and spread Covid and can feel very sick for a few days, you can envisage outbreaks causing the closure or reduction of production facilities as large numbers of staff take time off work. The same will also happen in schools, restaurants and other work places where staff and/or customers are concentrated.  

Over time, as more people contract and survive the virus, their immunity will build better than vaccination alone. This will take time, but in a few years this virus will retreat and be something we live with. All in, it will have been a 4 or 5 year time period from the start of the pandemic for life to return to normal. As such, we are at or near the mid-point of this pandemic. 

Without mass vaccination many people will die before the masses become immune to a degree,

The mass vaccination scenario seems to be the experiment going on in the UK at the moment, over 85% of people have had the first vaccine and over 75% have had two and now everything has been open for a few months.

Cases have gone up as expected but proportionally the number of sever sickness, hospitalisation and deaths remains low.

I have been staying in a large three hundred bed hotel here in the UK for the last month as I have sold my house and waiting to move into the next house and I see very few people are bothering to wear masks here and in supermarkets and other crowded places and the number of serious cases are low, so it might mean the vaccination program has worked. 

Time will tell.

• Like 1