News Forum - Bangkok Airways breach may have compromised customer data

Thaiger

A cyberattack hit Bangkok Airways and now the boutique airline is warning its customers of a possible compromise of personal data. The airline released a statement on their website and sent email to its customers informing them of the data breach. Bangkok Airways first became aware of a possible hack on August 23 and began investigating. They confirmed now that the security breach did not access or affect any aeronautical security systems or any of the operational data of Bangkok Airways. It did however create vulnerability to some personal data of customers. The investigation is ongoing to fully determine how […]

The post Bangkok Airways breach may have compromised customer data appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Fantastic news, I hope they will learn from it, as this seems to be the only way here how they learn in Thailand how important IT security is.

34 minutes ago, DeeBKK said:

Fantastic news, I hope they will learn from it, as this seems to be the only way here how they learn in Thailand how important IT security is.

I'm gonna guess this would be a shallow learning curve.

On 8/29/2021 at 3:50 PM, AlexPTY said:

Got email from them. Platinum member. Don't care, have nothing to hide 

It's not about whether you have something to hide. They stole:

passenger name, family name, nationality, gender, phone number, email, address, contact information, passport information, historical travel information, partial credit card information, and special meal information

From this they have most info to make calls and have your personal details to access and verify some accounts. Be alert.

• Like 1

Have you ever had your identity  stolen or compromised !

Having to prove your identity after someone committed fraud with  it ,is a nightmare ! 

Thank god  I never flew with this airline.

Edited by riclag

8 minutes ago, riclag said:

Have you ever had your identity  stolen or compromised !

Having to prove your identity after someone committed fraud with  it ,is a nightmare ! 

Thank god  I never flew with this airline.

Change your passwords or use a password manager, switch out credit cards frequently (I do it 2X/year on average), check your credit cards for strange activity, and lock your credit so nobody can open up an account in your name. The Rules for Modern Times...

The actual data breach is NBD. All this info exists on all of us in the clear - and for sale - already. The only issue with the hack is if you use the same password all over the place.

3 hours ago, JamesE said:

Change your passwords or use a password manager, switch out credit cards frequently (I do it 2X/year on average), check your credit cards for strange activity, and lock your credit so nobody can open up an account in your name. The Rules for Modern Times...

The actual data breach is NBD. All this info exists on all of us in the clear - and for sale - already. The only issue with the hack is if you use the same password all over the place.

Or better yet, learn how to exist comfortably without the conditioned dependency and control of credit and debit cards, as well everything electronic/digital. 

29 minutes ago, Rain said:

Or better yet, learn how to exist comfortably without the conditioned dependency and control of credit and debit cards, as well everything electronic/digital. 

Like the computer/phone/tablet that you wrote your comment on?

When somebody, somewhere deep in the mists of time threw a flint nodule at a rock and flaked off a very sharp knife humanity has been divided into people who understand how to make technology work for them and users. It has always been a zero sum game. So, people who pay cash and exist in the conditioned dependency of the Way Things Used to Work are - and I thank you very much, by the way - paying for my vacations, providing me with Free Money (really), and generally allow my life to proceed much more smoothly than it would if I were stuck in the past, walking around with wads of cash, and being so last millennium by writing checks.

I've taken the time to understand how all this nonsense works and am able to make it work for me. Some people don't want to do that, which is fine, but realize, I'm the one getting the free ride.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JamesE said:

Like the computer/phone/tablet that you wrote your comment on?

When somebody, somewhere deep in the mists of time threw a flint nodule at a rock and flaked off a very sharp knife humanity has been divided into people who understand how to make technology work for them and users. It has always been a zero sum game. So, people who pay cash and exist in the conditioned dependency of the Way Things Used to Work are - and I thank you very much, by the way - paying for my vacations, providing me with Free Money (really), and generally allow my life to proceed much more smoothly than it would if I were stuck in the past, walking around with wads of cash, and being so last millennium by writing checks.

I've taken the time to understand how all this nonsense works and am able to make it work for me. Some people don't want to do that, which is fine, but realize, I'm the one getting the free ride.

Most are easily fooled.

Edited by King Cotton
Removed insulting remark.

2 hours ago, Rain said:

Most are easily fooled.

Sounds more like you're arguing from a belief rather than from experience. That's fine. Most do. Some bother to learn how things work and why. I recommend it.

Edited by King Cotton
Removed insulting remark on the quote.
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JamesE said:

Edited 1 minute ago by King Cotton
Removed insulting remark on the quote.

You have much thinner skin than I do. Insults, I've found, usually start when the argument has been lost.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rain said:

You mean, going to an airlines office in person and asking about the availability of flights and then paying in cash over the counter ?

How are you supposed to withdraw cash without a ATM card ?

23 minutes ago, Fluke said:

How are you supposed to withdraw cash without a ATM card ?

Easy !!! An Irish friend who lives near me, does not have an A.T.M. card, he withdraws money in the bank.

In my opinion not a very efficient way of doing it, but he has never had an A.T.M. card.

11 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Easy !!! An Irish friend who lives near me, does not have an A.T.M. card, he withdraws money in the bank.

In my opinion not a very efficient way of doing it, but he has never had an A.T.M. card.

He must have a Thai bank account then , it wouldnt be possible to withdraw money from a U.K bank account without a ATM card