2 year -> 5 year before time extension

• 1 month later...

I got now an expired Thai  tourist two year licence .Is possible still to renew it over three days with difficulty ,because International car  Drivers permit does not cover  scooter motorbike hire !    Visits now possible  to several offices with mountains of Tourist paperwork passport photo health certificate  evidence and a eye test ? 

• Like 1

Better to wait until the licence expires. With renewal you get until your next birthday plus 2 or five years depending on your type of visa. Multi entry non immigrant o visa should give five years. Best to have it done in Chon Buri, last time I renewed I did it in Surat Thani province, that gave all kinds of hassle coz they have little experience there with foreign applicants.

Good luck.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/28/2021 at 3:43 PM, Beaconofdarkness said:

Better to wait until the licence expires. With renewal you get until your next birthday plus 2 or five years depending on your type of visa. Multi entry non immigrant o visa should give five years. Best to have it done in Chon Buri, last time I renewed I did it in Surat Thani province, that gave all kinds of hassle coz they have little experience there with foreign applicants.

Good luck.

Thanks, mine is due for renewal in February  right after my visa renewal but I'm away when it expires so I will go early march and take your advice 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/29/2021 at 10:16 AM, Stonker said:

3 months prior in some DLTs.  Best just to ask, as they vary.

In others it was up to 6 month, if I remember that right.

But since I started (2014) to renew in the month after, which gets you 6 years, I have no update about that any longer.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

On 10/28/2021 at 10:43 AM, Beaconofdarkness said:

Good luck.

I got my expired (1 week) driving licences recently on Ko Samui renewed. They give you exact 2 years fom the date you apply if you are on a tourist visa. I can not confirm many hassels during the process. Before you need a medical certificate from a doctor (100thb)  a certificate of residence from the immigration and pass photo for it (500 thb +100 thb 4 photos), and some copies of the documents and passport with the actual visa page which can be done at a shop outside of the LTO ( 40 thb).

Being there in the morning helps. I had to watch a 60 min stupid video online on my phone where they ask you 3 questions before the video, 3 during the video and 3 at the end. Pretty simple to answer...and you will get your test passing shown in the app which you need to show at the desk. Than the usual reaction and colour blind test upstairs and waiting downstairs again for the taking of the new picture and issuing of the driving licences.

It took me overall 3,25 hours at the land and transportation office and the fees where 330 thb for the motorbike and car licence.

Hope that helps

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 1/17/2022 at 3:40 PM, hardbutfair said:

I got my expired (1 week) driving licences recently on Ko Samui renewed. They give you exact 2 years fom the date you apply if you are on a tourist visa. I can not confirm many hassels during the process. Before you need a medical certificate from a doctor (100thb)  a certificate of residence from the immigration and pass photo for it (500 thb +100 thb 4 photos), and some copies of the documents and passport with the actual visa page which can be done at a shop outside of the LTO ( 40 thb).

Being there in the morning helps. I had to watch a 60 min stupid video online on my phone where they ask you 3 questions before the video, 3 during the video and 3 at the end. Pretty simple to answer...and you will get your test passing shown in the app which you need to show at the desk. Than the usual reaction and colour blind test upstairs and waiting downstairs again for the taking of the new picture and issuing of the driving licences.

It took me overall 3,25 hours at the land and transportation office and the fees where 330 thb for the motorbike and car licence.

Hope that helps

Good post giving all info. after your first two year license you can get a five year license with some Longstay visas ( not ED).

On 1/17/2022 at 3:40 PM, hardbutfair said:

I can not confirm many hassels during the process.

I also cannot confirm hassles being more than anywhere else.
My wife prolongated here 2Y to 5Y (where not on Tourist visa's but on Non-immigrant one's). I'll do mine at the end of this year... I'll try todo it with my Thai ID and Yellow Tambien ban this will be new for us.

On 3/21/2022 at 4:47 PM, Shark said:

I also cannot confirm hassles being more than anywhere else.
My wife prolongated here 2Y to 5Y (where not on Tourist visa's but on Non-immigrant one's). I'll do mine at the end of this year... I'll try todo it with my Thai ID and Yellow Tambien ban this will be new for us.

Did same and got 1st 5 year TDL. Passport not required. Do it after your birthday to get 6 years 😉

Just a warning. In Chonburi (Pattaya) you will have to make a complete new test incl computer test if your license has run out.

The actually have a sign on the wall on second floor warning about this. They have done it because foreringers abused the system constantly.

Good luck if you try the stunt

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2022 at 5:43 PM, oldschooler said:

Did same and got 1st 5 year TDL. Passport not required. Do it after your birthday to get 6 years 😉

Can anyone confirm this is still ok for CM? I am due next month and I would hate to have to take that stupid little nonsense test again.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2022 at 1:40 PM, HolyCowCm said:

Can anyone confirm this is still ok for CM? I am due next month and I would hate to have to take that stupid little nonsense test again.

Can not confirm CM, but I got my 5 year renewal from an expiring 5 year renewal last year, had to sit down and watch a video and then do all the same reaction tests but they did not want the doctors physical test that I bought in with me, go figure?👍

8 hours ago, Thaidup said:

Can not confirm CM, but I got my 5 year renewal from an expiring 5 year renewal last year, had to sit down and watch a video and then do all the same reaction tests but they did not want the doctors physical test that I bought in with me, go figure?👍

If only a video and reaction test then this is not bad. At least it isn't the idiotic pass or fail A,B,C,D test. That would have given you over 5 years if past the date. Where did you do your renewal? Thnx.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 12:09 PM, HolyCowCm said:

If only a video and reaction test then this is not bad. At least it isn't the idiotic pass or fail A,B,C,D test. That would have given you over 5 years if past the date. Where did you do your renewal? Thnx.

I never had to do a pass or fail test, I came over here on an international car and bike license, When it was about to expire, 2013, I went to the land vehicle office and did the reaction tests and had to produce the medical, then in 2014 I went back to apply for the 5 year renewal, had to do the reaction tests and they made me go into town to get a medical test. But I have never been unlicensed the whole time. Be it international or local.

On 4/19/2022 at 9:43 PM, HolyCowCm said:

The test you have to learn the way they set up the questions and how to answer or you are bound to not pass.

My wife passed the test 3 years ago, She simply did a course, Had not ever held a license before, My wife does not have a university degree or a western education, If you can't pass the test then maybe you should not be driving on the road😀

7 hours ago, Thaidup said:

My wife passed the test 3 years ago, She simply did a course, Had not ever held a license before, My wife does not have a university degree or a western education, If you can't pass the test then maybe you should not be driving on the road😀

I am car and motorcyle licensed here. The test at the Thai motor vehicle dept is a computer type and if you don't figure the method for how to answer or memorise what their answers are prior to make sense of it then it will be odd for the person for sure. My last motorcyle test I missed 1 but I prepared for it, but there were quite a few who failed it first time and then they took the test again directly after, knew their mistakes and the correct answers and then passed after.

FYI. Paid courses never fail anyone. My son did it for a car and my youngest daughter for the motorcyle and they told me what the was going with the school or course. They didn't fail but some did and even if you do fail you will not fail in the end. This is in CM, so cannot say for any other place.

We are talking about Thailand, not the western world or any education or a person having a University degree.

Does she know how to read?

Anyway, it is not worth a huge debate or discussion, but if you have went through it you would see how quackery the questions and answers are.

Cheers.