News Forum - Covid UPDATE Sunday: 264 deaths, news briefs

Thaiger

New infection numbers across the country continue to drop in today’s report from the past 24 hours across Thailand. New infections in the capital continue to drop although other provinces are still worrisome for officials, including Samut Prakan, Chon Buri and Rayong, to the east of the city. In the southern region, Phuket features with the province having the most new infections, over 200 new cases for the first time yesterday as the numbers continue trend upward over the past week. There’s been 264 Covid-related deaths in the past 24 hours and 16,536 new infections, continuing a trend of lower […]

The post Covid UPDATE Sunday: 264 deaths, news briefs appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

As much as I would like to, I am not sure I put a lot of faith in these numbers.

My province recorded a 50% drop in cases in one day.  50%!

Doesn't seem likely.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

264 Covid-related deaths

What does that actually mean ? They have a massive heart attack but test positive to COVID, so it's COVID related.... Bollocks... 

If they reported only non asymptomatic numbers and actual COVID deaths there would be little to report. But it's all about headlines and control. No different in my home country... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

... continuing a trend of lower new infections reported each day ...

"reported" being the operative word.

As long as deaths are steady or rising over a seven day period, which they are, then infections / cases are rising too although obviously there's a delay.

Until there's major progress with vaccinations, or a serious lockdown to get some breathing space prior to major progress with vaccinations, there's no possibility of new infections dropping, lower hospital occupancy, or a lower death rate.

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

21 minutes ago, Stonker said:

No it wasn't!!!

It will be, sign up thinking you get Pfizer and when you get there it will be sinovac.. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Not that I am picky, but:

"continue trend upward over the past week (and 212 new infections reported for Sunday)."

This are the "for saturday" infection numbers, that got published today, reported ON sunday

All numbers are from the day before, because the numbers from today, they are still finding out and counting!

2 hours ago, Stonker said:

As long as deaths are steady or rising over a seven day period, which they are, then infections / cases are rising too although obviously there's a delay.

Yes, there is a delay. Just the delay is on the side of the death toll numbers.

They are 2 to 3 weeks, or longer, behind the infected numbers.

Or in other words:

Infection numbers are from "found yesterday"

Death numbers are from people, who got found/counted infected 2, 3, x weeks ago.

If case, the "infected" numbers are going down, or are stagnating, the deaths numbers may still rise, the next 2, x, weeks

• Cool 1

1 hour ago, Guest1 said:

Yes, there is a delay. Just the delay is on the side of the death toll numbers.

They are 2 to 3 weeks, or longer, behind the infected numbers.

Or in other words:

Infection numbers are from "found yesterday"

Death numbers are from people, who got found/counted infected 2, 3, x weeks ago.

If case, the "infected" numbers are going down, or are stagnating, the deaths numbers may still rise, the next 2, x, weeks

The method for COVID-19 reporting is that the infections and deaths are both reported as actual numbers from yesterday.

However, the people that die, don't die within minutes after their test nor immediately after being admitted to hospital.

So, who was found positive yesterday and subsequently deteriorates and dies, will be included in a future death rate.

The mortality rate of yesterday, consists of the people that died from being found positive before yesterday.

In other words the death rate is a delayed result.

If Thailand does it differently from the rest of the works, I'd like to know.

4 hours ago, Malc-Thai said:

It will be, sign up thinking you get Pfizer and when you get there it will be sinovac.. 

When I went, I asked to check the vaccine bottle, simple as that I did got Pfizer 

• Like 1

Can I just bore everyone with the statement not to stare too much at the infection numbers?

They are NOT random, but they are from a limited number of tests in high risk areas plus people that seek the test because they are worried they carry the virus. That says nothing about an average, nor can you apply that to the whole country. 

It's the same as only going to a lobster restaurant and concluding that everyone eats lobster. 

Unless the government starts giving us some real numbers that are significant, focus on the mortality rate.

Now, if daily deaths consistently go down a lot, and I mean a lot, then it's time to start looking at easing restrictions.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

If Thailand does it differently from the rest of the works, I'd like to know.

It is definitely different from the rest of the world.  They eat somtam here with stinky fermented crab.  

Regarding the Covid UPDATE: 264 deaths, provincial totals page...  it is missing the North and South charts (they are on the NBT source page).

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Can I just bore everyone with the statement not to stare too much at the infection numbers?

They are NOT random, but they are from a limited number of tests in high risk areas plus people that seek the test because they are worried they carry the virus. That says nothing about an average, nor can you apply that to the whole country. 

It's the same as only going to a lobster restaurant and concluding that everyone eats lobster. 

Unless the government starts giving us some real numbers that are significant, focus on the mortality rate.

Now, if daily deaths consistently go down a lot, and I mean a lot, then it's time to start looking at easing restrictions.

We know but it gives an idea, I am only interested in my province to see or it goes higher.

Restrictions are in red zones rest of Thailand does fortunately not have that issue of restrictions

Edited by Paco

3 minutes ago, Paco said:

We know but it gives an idea, I am only interested in my province to see or it goes higher.

Restrictions are in red zones rest of Thailand does fortunately not have that issue of restrictions

Just curious. What's your province?

BTW, I'm not in a red zone either, but plenty of restrictions. 

And once they ease restrictions in red zones and allow interprovincial travel again, just give it a few weeks until the numbers skyrocket.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Just curious. What's your province?

BTW, I'm not in a red zone either, but plenty of restrictions. 

And once they ease restrictions in red zones and allow interprovincial travel again, just give it a few weeks until the numbers skyrocket.

Chiang Rai, only restrictions here as far as I know are the travels as you mentioned, for the rest dining in etc not a problem

• Cool 1

I'm just south of you then. But walking with a facemask when there's nobody to be seen within a mile and physical distancing and a list of other things are still restrictions... Maybe we're getting used to it and start seeing it as normal?

For compiled data on countries look at CIDRAP.

I'm sure that Japan does everything it can as well, but you can't compare the numbers across borders. We have 20.000 reported cases per day because we don't test enough and test selectively. The numbers here are far higher than 20.000. Then I don't mean 21.000. I conservatively think in the order of at least 3 to 5 times as much.

Edited by Bob20
Spelling: does, not doea
  • Like 1