Sanctuary of Truth

Lorraine

Sanctuary of Truth is an all wooden structure that has been under construction since 1981. They estimate it will be at least 20 years before it is finished. The building itself is incredible and you will find exquisite wood carvings, intricate patterns and craftsmanship. This is a must visit if you are in the area.

I find this place very calming and have visited it at least 6 times over the last few years, mainly with family and friends.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

First went in 2003 when the main structure was in place but not much inside. Sadly they also had a dolphin show in the lake which thankfully has now gone as they died I think. Khun Lek also made Muang Boran and the Erewan Museum in Samut Prakan. He was super rich as you can imagine by the scope and size of his monuments. The other two are well worth a visit if you haven't yet been. The Sanctuary was established to act as an antidote to what he saw as the base depravity of Pattaya !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lek_Viriyaphan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Siam

• 2 weeks later...

Mixed feelings.  Sanctuary of Truth is very beautiful, but its not a real temple.  It was essentially created to exist as a tourist attraction and to make money, which is fine, it is what it is.  Went twice, got that same 'God its hot outside' feeling both times, which overwhelmed any sense of wonder I should have been feeling from the wood carvings inside.  The experience felt cheapened by the rental costumes inside with the photo booth I do believe, not really one of my favorite places in Thailand.  I'd take a visitor to the area, but that's it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TiT said:

Mixed feelings.  Sanctuary of Truth is very beautiful, but its not a real temple.  It was essentially created to exist as a tourist attraction and to make money, which is fine, it is what it is.  Went twice, got that same 'God its hot outside' feeling both times, which overwhelmed any sense of wonder I should have been feeling from the wood carvings inside.  The experience felt cheapened by the rental costumes inside with the photo booth I do believe, not really one of my favorite places in Thailand.  I'd take a visitor to the area, but that's it.

Khun Lek like many Thai-Chinese businessmen would rather make huge 'temples' to his family and wealth rather than pay his staff a decent wage and conditions. He had the Mercedes-Benz concession for cars and buses and a huge insurance company. It's a point I made to the guide at the Sanctuary when I visited - she wasn't happy I made that point - let's put it that way. 

Thailand doesn't need more big buddhas megha temples or shrines and the like - hospitals and schools and a welfare state would be high on my shopping list. But hey ho medieval superstition and feudal lords is the order of the day. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, billybob said:

Thailand doesn't need more big buddhas megha temples or shrines and the like - hospitals and schools and a welfare state would be high on my shopping list. But hey ho medieval superstition and feudal lords is the order of the day. 

When you actually see how much corruption stems from the temples and how some monks are filthy rich, it is in their best interest to keep the old traditions alive and well. 

*splashes water and ties a string to your wrist*  Now where did I leave my Benz keys?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TiT said:

When you actually see how much corruption stems from the temples and how some monks are filthy rich, it is in their best interest to keep the old traditions alive and well. 

*splashes water and ties a string to your wrist*  Now where did I leave my Benz keys?

At a rough guess I would say about 80% of the temples are corrupt. You can always tell the good ones the moment you walk in  they are clean with diligent monks and don't pander for money. The monks don't smoke, have tattoos or handle money either. 

saddhu