Visa needed to apply for DL?

I fully understood your point . The arrangement might negate the need for both the video and the tests but it wasn't made clear how much a fixer can fix for the fee involved. 

As for the video it's tosh and an hour wasted as no one abides by the rules or the road once they have the DL in their hand .

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gazmo16 said:

As for the video it's tosh and an hour wasted as no one abides by the rules or the road once they have the DL in their hand .

The new English commentary video (not English subtitles) is actually very informative and interesting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/1/2021 at 1:57 AM, gummy said:

So this, as it is not listed , appears that this "arrangement" means no requirement for taking  the usual 1 hour video sitting then to obtain a license ?

These are the required documents.  A Thai Translator will accompany you and hold you hand through the entire process.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 11:01 PM, gazmo16 said:

Having just bought a Honda ADV150 I can tell you they are zippy around town and top out about 115Kmp. They are designed to replace the PCX with a more youthful image apparently.  Personally having ridden in Bangkok I would look for a twist and go scooter which is slim to wriggle through stationary traffic.  As I mentioned before sticking to popular brands means easy repairs and maintenance also.

Slim and maneuverable is definitely recommended in Bangkok.    I am referring to bikes.   Wide handle bars clip too many mirrors...   555

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, bushav8r said:

These are the required documents.  A Thai Translator will accompany you and hold you hand through the entire process.

I downloaded copies of the forms (not to be filed as, apparently, the legal versions of the form are on an Official Weight Paper or some such bureaucratic nonsense) to see what they said and had the question: Are the forms to be filled out in Thai? Or, even if English is allowed, is it better to fill it out in Thai? I can understand how one's name might want to be in English (or whatever language your variety of the Roman alphabet uses) to match your passport, but there have got to be some brownie-points available if the rest is in Thai.

Perhaps I am overthinking it?

24 minutes ago, bushav8r said:

That was not what I was asking. I have no8 need for anybody to hold my hand as my previous posts indicate. I was asking, again, does using that arrangement negate the use of watching the 1 hour video. If you don't know that's fine just say so.

2 minutes ago, JamesE said:

I downloaded copies of the forms (not to be filed as, apparently, the legal versions of the form are on an Official Weight Paper or some such bureaucratic nonsense) to see what they said and had the question: Are the forms to be filled out in Thai? Or, even if English is allowed, is it better to fill it out in Thai? I can understand how one's name might want to be in English (or whatever language your variety of the Roman alphabet uses) to match your passport, but there have got to be some brownie-points available if the rest is in Thai.

I wonder what becomes of all that paperwork.  I have read that there are  warehouses full of the silly forms that you are given you to fill out during your flight to Thailand.  I suppose all the paperwork regarding vehicle registration and licensing is filed accordingly.  You will always be at the mercy of the person you hand your papers too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gummy said:

That was not what I was asking. I have no8 need for anybody to hold my hand as my previous posts indicate. I was asking, again, does using that arrangement negate the use of watching the 1 hour video. If you don't know that's fine just say so.

I don't know.  I assume if you are required to watch a video they will hold your hand during that too.  Perhaps you can can eat some popcorn together and it will be very romantic.

• Haha 1

On 8/31/2021 at 10:05 AM, gazmo16 said:

It's not the buying of the bike, it's the registering it at your Land Transport Office . The paperwork needs your Thai ID number and they wont accept a passport number up here in Sakon Nakhon. My simple view was to just ride it with no tax (when it runs out) but with no few Farang up here we stick out and the cops do love spot checks for tea money.

I can't recall how long it is for sure,  but I think that you can now only pay up to three years back tax in arrears then after that any registration is cancelled.

If you bought the bike new then normally (99+%  of the time) the dealer can register it for you, and if you bought used then you can still tax and insure the bike if you've got the book even if it's not in your name.

• Thanks 1

On 9/2/2021 at 11:11 AM, gazmo16 said:

I'm guessing you obviously live in a town Faz and not an Isaan village where number plates are optional along with fully functional lighting on a bike . I think I own the only 100% legal bike in the village at the moment. 

It depends on what value you put on your bike as well as your legality.

If the registration's cancelled because you haven't paid tax for (IIRC) three years then you've got no paperwork worth having and the bike's obviously  worth a lot less.

Similarly, even if you've got the papers for transfer, if second hand, they're not valid if the original seller's ID card or passport's expired.

On 9/1/2021 at 8:04 AM, bushav8r said:

Medical certificate, not over 30 days old (See local providers here, otherwise we can arrange to be done nearby the day of processing)

In some DLT's, such as Rayong, you can get a medical certificate from the photocopiers in the car park.

I honestly can't see what these "hand-holders" are doing unless it's helping you pass the test in which case you shouldn't be on the road.

4 hours ago, JamesE said:

You're overthinking it!😃

The licences are written in both English and Thai, including your address, except a farang's name is written in English twice (😅), so whatever language you write the form in it needs to be translated anyway - including changing calendar years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gummy said:

4 hours ago, bushav8r said:

I don't know.  I assume if you are required to watch a video they will hold your hand during that too.  Perhaps you can can eat some popcorn together and it will be very romantic.

Like everything else, it varies from DLT to DLT.

Some won't allow "hand holders" at all, others (Pattaya, for example) will take people out individually during the video to get their photo taken and licence printed to save time, others will do it by the book.

Where they take people out early, I noticed they left the popcorn eaters and those gazing out the window to last (gen!).

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Stonker said:

I honestly can't see what these "hand-holders" are doing unless it's helping you pass the test in which case you shouldn't be on the road.

Their selling point seems to be translation and knowing the "system". The process itself seems really straightforward, but the Thai bureaucracy can be intimidating at first. (Unless you've gone through the British colonial system left behind in the Caribbean. Then it's like: "Amateurs!")

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JamesE said:

Their selling point seems to be translation and knowing the "system". The process itself seems really straightforward, but the Thai bureaucracy can be intimidating at first. (Unless you've gone through the British colonial system left behind in the Caribbean. Then it's like: "Amateurs!")

I suppose it is like anything else involving government bureaucracy or red tape.  Some people hire a lawyer for a simple visa application. 

13 minutes ago, bushav8r said:

I suppose it is like anything else involving government bureaucracy or red tape.  Some people hire a lawyer for a simple visa application. 

It's the Money vs. Time to put up with Bulls#!t equation. If it's balanced, it could go either way. If you've got money, then somebody else always handles the BS. Otherwise the BS is yours to enjoy regardless of how long something takes. I knew I should have had a career that paid better.

11 minutes ago, JamesE said:

It's the Money vs. Time to put up with Bulls#!t equation. If it's balanced, it could go either way. If you've got money, then somebody else always handles the BS. Otherwise the BS is yours to enjoy regardless of how long something takes. I knew I should have had a career that paid better.

Me too.  I always sort through the BS by myself.  It is best to go directly to the government agencies involved to get accurate and updated information.  

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Stonker said:

It depends on what value you put on your bike as well as your legality.

If the registration's cancelled because you haven't paid tax for (IIRC) three years then you've got no paperwork worth having and the bike's obviously  worth a lot less.

Similarly, even if you've got the papers for transfer, if second hand, they're not valid if the original seller's ID card or passport's expired.

I'm ok as I mentioned I own one of the few legal bikes in the village but spare a thought for the locals here in rice country who can barely afford to put 50 baht in the tank each week. For them paying Government Tax to use dirt roads is pointless and beyond their means at this current time. They don't live in cities with New Beemers and nice condos. 

3 hours ago, gazmo16 said:

I'm ok as I mentioned I own one of the few legal bikes in the village but spare a thought for the locals here in rice country who can barely afford to put 50 baht in the tank each week. For them paying Government Tax to use dirt roads is pointless and beyond their means at this current time. They don't live in cities with New Beemers and nice condos. 

Agreed 100% - the point I was making was simply on the reduced value of the bike if you don't tax it and it can't be registered even if you want to pay back tax.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2021 at 2:55 PM, Faz said:

Consider the Yamaha 155cc Aerox instead of the Click 150.

image.jpeg.daaf9f2a1653d07ce3b2143470e116e2.jpeg

same as adv ;-) you can't keep a dog between your legs... due to the more secure build.

• Like 2

On 9/4/2021 at 3:06 PM, Shark said:

same as adv ;-) you can't keep a dog between your legs... due to the more secure build.

A phrase I haven't heard before but I think I agree with your point. The Honda Click is past i's best no matter what upgrades they put on it . I think the Yamaha Aerox will perform slightly better than the Honda ADV on the open road but around town either will give years of reliable riding.

I remember back in the day I was told that I needed a work permit to subscribe to True satellite TV.

My answer was that I don't have a work permit because I don't work. 

Fail!  No True TV!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, gazmo16 said:

I think the Yamaha Aerox will perform slightly better than the Honda ADV on the open road but around town either will give years of reliable riding.

for open road i don't consider anything less then 300cc "performing". Just my two cents. It's the main reason why I have the XADV.

If you are looking for a bike around town just get a click or yamaha gt.  If you want something for trips get and adv or nmax that can still be used in town.  They aerox has a horrid suspension and although a peppy motor it is not a good highway bike.