Visa needed to apply for DL?

4 hours ago, bushav8r said:

I would take advantage of their services.  They will make it easy.

As long as you have the forms filling explained the DL tests are not only easy to pass but should you fail them maybe you shouldn't be on a bike. They involve peripheral vision (looking at coloured lights out of the corner of your eye}, brake test (stopping when a red light appears then going when it goes off and making two nails stop opposite each other  by adjusting one back and forward. Really simple stuff. 

The forms are just name and address type with details of your licence request (complete set of papers needed for a car or motorcycle) as they are separate licences and fees. If you are using an international DL copy and bring that also. 

As for buying a bike I've just bought one but had to register it in my GF's name as I didn't have a yellow house book or pink ID card for the green book. Renting maybe a better idea especially in BKK where you really only need a small and narrow bike for filtering in traffic and low speed riding. Repair shops mainly cater to Honda and Yamaha which is worth considering when the bike needs any work done. I can stop at almost any shop to get my Honda looked at, not many European bikes can say the same. 

On 8/28/2021 at 11:49 PM, gazmo16 said:

As long as you have the forms filling explained the DL tests are not only easy to pass but should you fail them maybe you shouldn't be on a bike. They involve peripheral vision (looking at coloured lights out of the corner of your eye}, brake test (stopping when a red light appears then going when it goes off and making two nails stop opposite each other  by adjusting one back and forward. Really simple stuff. 

The forms are just name and address type with details of your licence request (complete set of papers needed for a car or motorcycle) as they are separate licences and fees. If you are using an international DL copy and bring that also. 

As for buying a bike I've just bought one but had to register it in my GF's name as I didn't have a yellow house book or pink ID card for the green book. Renting maybe a better idea especially in BKK where you really only need a small and narrow bike for filtering in traffic and low speed riding. Repair shops mainly cater to Honda and Yamaha which is worth considering when the bike needs any work done. I can stop at almost any shop to get my Honda looked at, not many European bikes can say the same. 

I have only rented a bike before.  Is very cheap and easy if you go to the right places.  My wife has a car that we use mostly.  I am ok riding a bike by myself, but don't want to risk anyone else.

• Like 2

On 8/28/2021 at 11:20 PM, Stonker said:

You mean pay a bribe?

Not really...just pay extra?  I guess it it is a bribe of some sort. I am not sure if driver exams are available in foreign languages.

On 8/29/2021 at 7:02 AM, JamesE said:

I'm going to try a PCX or whatever the Yamahammer equivalent is while I'm in the Sandbox. I've only used the Click or similar to date. I think it might be too big for BKK but I'll have to check it out.

Be sure to try out the adv 150. It just looks a bit nicer it's my wifes bike.
I've got the xadv750 which is too much to handle in BKK but I don't live in BKK ;-).

The click 150 is a good alternative to the PCX, the PCX 150 is more bulky.
So that's my 2 THB on motorbike picking. Over the years I know that with Honda I won't go wrong.

I've had some Yamaha in the past too both are pretty OK. Yamaha's I've always kept shorter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bushav8r said:

Not really...just pay extra?  I guess it it is a bribe of some sort. I am not sure if driver exams are available in foreign languages.

No, it's a bribe - plain and simple.

The written exams have been available in English for at least thirty years.

The video presentation, which gives you enough answers to pass the written exams, is also available in English, or sub-titled depending on your location.

Even the flimsy excuse of saving time doesn't hold up as you still have to attend the DLT in person to have your photo taken.

As @gazmo16 suggested, if you can't pass the test then you're a danger to yourself and everyone around you and, like many here, you shouldn't be on the road.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Shark said:

Be sure to try out the adv 150. It just looks a bit nicer it's my wifes bike.
I've got the xadv750 which is too much to handle in BKK but I don't live in BKK ;-).

The click 150 is a good alternative to the PCX, the PCX 150 is more bulky.
So that's my 2 THB on motorbike picking. Over the years I know that with Honda I won't go wrong.

I've had some Yamaha in the past too both are pretty OK. Yamaha's I've always kept shorter.

Yeah, I was looking at the Click 150, too. Seems a bit beefier than its predecessors but not steroidal. When I'm in BKK the PCX does look a bit out of place.

2 hours ago, bushav8r said:

I have only rented a bike before.  Is very cheap and easy if you go to the right places.  My wife has a car that we use mostly.  I am ok riding a bike by myself, but don't want to risk anyone else.

This is my S.O., up until we spent some time on Koh Yao Noi. Couldn't get the grin off of her face. (Of course, there isn't much in the way of actual traffic there...)

• Like 1

I would recommend using an agent. I just got my 3rd 5-year license. I struggled doing it myself until this last one, and it's well worth the expense IMO. If you plan on doing it in the Pattaya area, I have a great agent I can suggest. Door to door service. She picks you up at the place you're staying, handles all the paperwork, holds your hand through the whole process, then returns you home when it's all done. And she's easy on the eyes.

• Like 3

On 8/29/2021 at 10:49 AM, gazmo16 said:

As for buying a bike I've just bought one but had to register it in my GF's name as I didn't have a yellow house book or pink ID card for the green book.

I've bought several brand new bikes with just my passport. The first one was on a tourist visa in 2008, the rest with the retirement/extension of stay. Maybe the sales office is doing something wrong?

• Haha 1

Having just bought a Honda ADV150 I can tell you they are zippy around town and top out about 115Kmp. They are designed to replace the PCX with a more youthful image apparently.  Personally having ridden in Bangkok I would look for a twist and go scooter which is slim to wriggle through stationary traffic.  As I mentioned before sticking to popular brands means easy repairs and maintenance also.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HappyExpat said:

I've bought several brand new bikes with just my passport. The first one was on a tourist visa in 2008, the rest with the retirement/extension of stay. Maybe the sales office is doing something wrong?

It's not the buying of the bike, it's the registering it at your Land Transport Office . The paperwork needs your Thai ID number and they wont accept a passport number up here in Sakon Nakhon. My simple view was to just ride it with no tax (when it runs out) but with no few Farang up here we stick out and the cops do love spot checks for tea money.

I have only rented a bike before.  Is very cheap and easy if you go to the right places.

And usually not Insured for the purpose of 'hire', or even A1 (comprehensive) Insurance.
Provided your not involved in an accident, all's OK, but the minute your even involved in a non fault accident you could find yourself liable to foot your own medical and motorcycle repair bills.

Don't assume another person at fault has Insurance to cover costs.
Many Thais drive without a licence, tax or the compulsory government Insurance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JamesE said:

Yeah, I was looking at the Click 150, too. Seems a bit beefier than its predecessors but not steroidal. When I'm in BKK the PCX does look a bit out of place.

pcx is a ugly bike just truth. the adv is way more nice in my opinion.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JamesE said:

Consider the Yamaha 155cc Aerox instead of the Click 150.

image.jpeg.daaf9f2a1653d07ce3b2143470e116e2.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gazmo16 said:

It's not the buying of the bike, it's the registering it at your Land Transport Office . The paperwork needs your Thai ID number and they wont accept a passport number up here in Sakon Nakhon.

Thai ID isn't necessary. It's proof of verified address they need for the registration book.
Either Yellow house book, or residence certificate from Immigration are the normal two accepted forms of address verification for registration purposes.

5 hours ago, gazmo16 said:

My simple view was to just ride it with no tax (when it runs out) but with no few Farang up here we stick out and the cops do love spot checks for tea money.

Would you do that in your home Country?
No tax, then no compulsory government Insurance - hope you have deep pockets.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Faz said:

And usually not Insured for the purpose of 'hire', or even A1 (comprehensive) Insurance.
Provided your not involved in an accident, all's OK, but the minute your even involved in a non fault accident you could find yourself liable to foot your own medical and motorcycle repair bills.

Don't assume another person at fault has Insurance to cover costs.
Many Thais drive without a licence, tax or the compulsory government Insurance.

Insurance was optional.  I paid  for extra coverage.  If you didn't buy the extra insurance they kept your passport until you returned the bike.

The place I rent bikes from in Bangkok also provides a service to assist in getting a Thai license  for motorbikes and cars.    They list the following requirements.

What is required

1. Passport

2. A valid drivers license or international license (1949 or 1968). Note: If your drivers license is not in English, it must be officially translated and stamped by your home country Embassy or an authorized translation service.

3. Work Permit or Certificate of residency: (See details for eligibility)

• Valid work permit with your address listed: A digital work permit with your address listed upon opening the QR code or physical blue book with your address listed in the back of the book (Generally between pages 24-26) can be accepted. Note, the majority of work permits do not have address listed so a Certificate of residency would be required instead.

• Letter of residency: Issued from either your home country Embassy (Valid for 1 year) or Thai immigration office (Valid for 30 days, and must be from the Bangkok office) Please note, TM30, rental contracts, and other forms of address verification are not accepted.

4. Medical certificate, not over 30 days old (See local providers here, otherwise we can arrange to be done nearby the day of processing)

• Like 1

The place I rent bikes from in Bangkok also provides a service to assist in getting a Thai license  for motorbikes and cars.    They list the following requirements.

What is required

1. Passport

2. A valid drivers license or international license (1949 or 1968). Note: If your drivers license is not in English, it must be officially translated and stamped by your home country Embassy or an authorized translation service.

• Valid work permit with your address listed: A digital work permit with your address listed upon opening the QR code or physical blue book with your address listed in the back of the book (Generally between pages 24-26) can be accepted. Note, the majority of work permits do not have address listed so a Certificate of residency would be required instead.

• Letter of residency: Issued from either your home country Embassy (Valid for 1 year) or Thai immigration office (Valid for 30 days, and must be from the Bangkok office) Please note, TM30, rental contracts, and other forms of address verification are not accepted.

4. Medical certificate, not over 30 days old (See local providers here, otherwise we can arrange to be done nearby the day of processing)

So this, as it is not listed , appears that this "arrangement" means no requirement for taking  the usual 1 hour video sitting then to obtain a license ?

15 hours ago, bushav8r said:

What is required

1. Passport

Fatboy's or BSR? BSR told me they can work with any kind of visa, Fatboy's and TDLS say "Non-imm". I've also read that at Bangjak you can DIY with a TV.

4 minutes ago, JamesE said:

FYI - I've decided to give it a try with a TV. There's enough evidence out there that it actually may work... I'll keep you posted.

My local DLT would issue the initial 2 year licence on a TV, but for the 5 year licence insisted on a valid Non Imm Visa, or 1 year extension. I don't know if that's still the current state of play.
The requirements can change with the rotation of staff and a new Boss.

Try another DLT office. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JamesE said:

Fatboy's or BSR? BSR told me they can work with any kind of visa, Fatboy's and TDLS say "Non-imm". I've also read that at Bangjak you can DIY with a TV.

BSR

• Thanks 1

On 8/31/2021 at 3:26 PM, Faz said:

Thai ID isn't necessary. It's proof of verified address they need for the registration book.
Either Yellow house book, or residence certificate from Immigration are the normal two accepted forms of address verification for registration purposes.

Would you do that in your home Country?
No tax, then no compulsory government Insurance - hope you have deep pockets.

I'm guessing you obviously live in a town Faz and not an Isaan village where number plates are optional along with fully functional lighting on a bike . I think I own the only 100% legal bike in the village at the moment. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, gummy said:

So this, as it is not listed , appears that this "arrangement" means no requirement for taking  the usual 1 hour video sitting then to obtain a license ?

Not sure if you've sat through that video but if you did was it useful ? it's all in Thai. I looked on various websites and swotted up in case I needed to do the written paper but with a UK licence and an International Permit they waived the written paper and after 20 minutes sitting with the video they waved me out to go get the licence photo sorted instead. Nearly everything you need to know can be found (including the Q & A section) on line and in English if you hunt around for it. 

7 minutes ago, gazmo16 said:

Not sure if you've sat through that video but if you did was it useful ? it's all in Thai. I looked on various websites and swotted up in case I needed to do the written paper but with a UK licence and an International Permit they waived the written paper and after 20 minutes sitting with the video they waved me out to go get the licence photo sorted instead. Nearly everything you need to know can be found (including the Q & A section) on line and in English if you hunt around for it. 

I was not discussing was the video of any use or not. As for the video then anyone with common sense can understand it and yes watched it a few times thro the years  ever since they introduced it for DL renewal. The point I was making to @bushav8r  that you didn't seem to understand was did that "arrangement" he stated negate the necessity for watching the video ?